Page 20 of 53 FirstFirst ... 1016171819202122232430 ... LastLast
Like Tree751Likes

Thread: 30 Non-Americans on normal American stuff they find weird

^^
    oh yeah my mom's recipe has optional bacon sometimes too. and you can also make it in casserole form and stick it in the oven with some parmesan on top, under the broiler for a few minutes or until the cheese melts and makes a crust.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Not caught up on the whole thread yet but I think the canned vs fresh is a regional thing in the US. In Chicago, we had three grocery stores within 3 blocks of our house. It was easy to make 3-4 trips/week to get what we needed for dinner etc so we always bought fresh veggies/fruits etc.

My inlaws are in a tiny farming town and they have to travel 20 miles to get to the grocery store. Since they're farmers, they can EVERYTHING. And they put a ton of sugar and salt and shit in all of it. Somehow they all manage to live into their 90s. No idea how. Their church cookbooks are full of recipes calling for creamed corn (gag!), condensed soups, frozen hashbrowns and margarine (but they call it Oleo). It's disgusting. Even in the middle of summer, when they have beautiful gardens, they pulverize the hell out of everything by overcooking it and smothering it in margarine. Fresh apples and peaches off the tree? Don't eat them fresh, make pies and cobblers and "crisps!"

Thank God my husband was easy to convert. I get serious gut pain after two days of eating that crap.

Sorry, guess that belonged in the rant/rave thread.

As criminal as it seems that they are salting and sugaring the fuck out of things, at least they're growing their own stuff. They're still avoiding a lot of chemicals and processing just from eating what they grow themselves.
    twitchy2.0 likes this.
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

^^^^
    yeah and if they're farmers that means they probably spend time outside and doing physical activities.

i think the overcooking veggies until they're sludge thing is generational and geographic in north america. i saw it in canada too with one of the families i worked for. it was a battle every night to get the kids to eat their veggies, but that's because their parents would take broccoli and baby carrots, stick them in a bowl, pour some water in there, cover with saran wrap and microwave until they basically disintegrated. tasted like shit!!
    i went to chinatown and spent a couple of bucks on one of those metal steamer baskets to put in a pot, and started steaming their veggies until they were cooked but still crunchy. and i'd drizzle with a bit of olive oil and salt.
    took about the same amount of time and tasted 1000 times better. they also did a lot of frozen food, recipes that included canned soup. it was nasty.
    and i'm not some great cook but i felt like babette's feast in that house. i worked with them for 4 years and my greatest accomplishment was teaching them how to eat.

the other family i worked for at the same time were a joy in that respect. gourmet hippies. all natural, all fresh, organic food and the mom was a great cook.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

I cannot eat almost raw English veggies.I mean crunchy green beans and potatoes?I always leave any vegetables untouched in my plate.
    "Effie is all kinds of awesome." - Some internet moderator

no, not potatoes!
    but green beans should be al dente. not raw. but not so soft they're mushy and lose all consistency.

I remember a meal at the British Museum(my SIL wanted to go sooo much) a weird looking fish fillet and all those almost raw veggies..i swear i ate falafel right after ..i was famished..

My to go recipe for veggies (broccoli, cauliflower and carrots) is to add a little olive oil, white wine and apple cider vinegar and put some salt and pepper, cumin and lately also summac on top. Just bake for about half an hour and they taste terrific without getting mushy at all. I may have shared this here before, I am that crazy about it.
    What if Superman is psychotic and everyone can see that he's Clark Kent but they just play along not to set him off?

We bake or saute most of our veggies, but we use coconut oil, salt, pepper, and cayenne pepper. I only use olive oil mixed with vinegar on raw veggies.
    ><((((>. . `.><((((>><((((>`..`...><((((>.`.. ><((((> `..`...><((((>

A*O

I steam all our veggies and have a couple of stackable steamers that fit on a saucepan. You can also get electric steamer or microwave versions. They all do the same job. The trick is the timing as different things take different times to cook "al dente" (except spuds of course) but you quickly learn. Steaming also helps preserve the natural nutrients and colour which boil away in water. My MIL used to put the Sunday lunch cabbage on to boil just after breakfast. Ugh.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

I steam them in that metal basket in my pressure cooker and pour over a kind of sauce,lemon juice,olive oil and dry oregano beat together.I use any veggie i have,tomatoes,dry onion,carrots broccoli,artichokes..they look and taste nice and they are healthy too.
    faithanne likes this.

Artichokes! While pregnant I steamed an entire artichoke and ate all the leaves one by one. I half boiled/half steamed it along with some laurel leaves and then ate the fleshy part of the leaves after dipping it in some mayo mixed with balsamic vinegar. It was exquisite. That was a weird craving... I saw fresh artichokes and just had to have them.
    Brookie likes this.
    What if Superman is psychotic and everyone can see that he's Clark Kent but they just play along not to set him off?

I was halfway on a plane to Greece and you had to go and ruin it by saying mayo! Unpacking my bags now...
    effie2 likes this.
    "You're going to die tomorrow, Lord Bolton. Sleep well."

Mayo. Lots and lots of moist mayo.
    twitchy2.0 likes this.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

gross!
    Brookie likes this.

Thread Information