Page 17 of 53 FirstFirst ... 713141516171819202127 ... LastLast
Like Tree751Likes

Thread: 30 Non-Americans on normal American stuff they find weird

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    Another atrocity from Kraft. But I forgive them because they make Vegemite too.

I think blokes deliberately turn into complete tards when asked to go grocery shopping because it's not manly and if they bring the wrong stuff home they won't be asked to do it again. MrAO is pretty good but has a tendency to rummage through the bashed and dented tin bin or the date expired stuff for random "bargains".
    Quote Originally Posted by SHELLEE View Post
    I think most 80's kids know it from that Men at Work song.
    Quote Originally Posted by southernbelle View Post
    I tried Vegemite at an international fair, but had only heard of it before in that 80s song where it's like, "I said do you speak my language, she just smiled and gave me a vegemite sandwich." Most Americans that I know aren't aware of it, so after I tried it, I decided to prank a friend of mine and spread some on a piece of bread as if it were Nutella. He vomited.
    I was dying to try it right before I went to Australia. I told a British coworker and he said something like "Vegemite is just a pale imitation of Marmite". Another coworker brought in some Marmite a couple of days later and I immediately had a sinking feeling because it was served out of a little brown jar that looked like it would hold some kind of weird jam. The only thing we had to try it with was a piece of beef jerky. It was really not appetizing, and I remember thinking, "I sure hope Vegemite" doesn't taste like this. When I got to Melbourne, Kraft had just bought Vegemite. I was at a breakfast meeting, and there were these little tubs of Vegemite on every table. I opened one and it kind of looked like a dark peanut butter. I spread it on toast and ate it. It was incredibly salty made me think of anchovies. It wasn't the worst thing I ever had, but it was pretty disappointing.

Quote Originally Posted by levitt View Post
    I love instant mash and I love canned potatoes!
    I love instant mashed potatoes. I would much rather boil water for 5 minutes and dump some flakes and butter in there and be done with it than to peel potatoes, remove the eyes, cut them, boil them, drain them, mix in milk and then blend them. Huge waste of time compared to the convenience.
    Beeyotch likes this.

A*O

Important Notice To Mothers Of Sons. PLEASE teach your sons some basic cooking skilz. Doesn't have to be cordon bleu gourmet, just a tin of tomatoes with pasta and cheese on top or a simple curry. I actually despise pathetic men who literally can't (or won't) even boil a kettle. There's no excuse these days, seriously [\rant]

And if you are foolish enough to marry one of these drones then do yourself a favour and learn him up quick!

Vegemite: The trick is to spread it very thin, just a smear, on hot buttered toast or crackers. It's also good with cheese. Don't slather it on like Nutella Jerky would be way to salty in the first place.
    Last edited by A*O; November 12th, 2013 at 04:32 PM.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

My husband was raised by a single mother... he shops, cooks, and does all laundry. He is really weird about laundry and has to do it, so who am I to stop him?
    Kittylady likes this.
    ><((((>. . `.><((((>><((((>`..`...><((((>.`.. ><((((> `..`...><((((>

Don't slather it on like Nutella
    Unless you've grown up eating it - I slap it on about half a cm thick with avocado but my taste buds have had decades to adjust.

I miss greys.
    "You're going to die tomorrow, Lord Bolton. Sleep well."

A*O

Ugh, I really don't like Vegemite and avocado but I know many people do. The flavour mix just doesn't work for me. A dollop of Vegemite swirled through buttered pasta is pretty awesome.

The UK equivalent which I grew up on is Marmite of course. Same principle but slightly different texture and taste. It's been dumbed down in recent years to a flaccid, weak version of its former glory but, hallelujah, they do something called Marmite XO which is much stronger and deeper and more like the Marmite of my childhood.
    Dame Edna Everage

Vegemite, Marmite......No love for Bovril?
    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

A*O

Totally different! Bovril is beef extract although the Aussie version says it's "suitable for vegetarians" because it has NO BEEF in it! Pathetic. Vege/Marmite is yeast extract, a by-product of the brewing process. Pure Vitamin B.

But I love Bovril either to drink or on toast. I'm a savoury not sweet person (shut up).
    Dame Edna Everage

Is Bovril the same as Bonox?

screw marmite and vegemite. the best is the swiss version, cenovis:

we had a spreadable yeast-off (context, people. context) with friends once and compared all 3 and was the best. except for a couple of stubborn aussies who kept insisting vegemite was even though it has an aftertaste of dehydrated onions.
    marmite and cenovis are the most similar, except cenovis is better. plus it has the best retro-ish packaging.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Quote Originally Posted by faithanne View Post
    For a moment I thought you said Borax...
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

I thought Cenovis were vitamins? I've heard the name on TV but it just goes to show you how much I pay attention to advertising.

i think that's a different cenovis. some bastards stole the name to sell vitamins.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Quote Originally Posted by twitchy2.0 View Post
    Canned potatoes are the thing that really mystify me.
    nasty vile things

Agree but since I'm in guilty pleasures confession mode I'll also state my secret love of powdered/instant mashed potato.

I wish they still did these adverts

I hate that more then the canned things blergh

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1973 View Post
    wow... I probably have 100 (or more) cookbooks. I actually had a friend bring over some boxes because I HAVE to get rid of some of my books. I plan on taking them to Half Priced Books this weekend...

ICK!
    I have a cookbook weakness too and never use the damn things, I always google if I need a recipe lol

Quote Originally Posted by sprynkles View Post
    Let's not forget this gawdawful "cheese". It is the saltiest substance on earth.

thank you I hate that shit too

Quote Originally Posted by Butterfly View Post
    My husband was raised by a single mother... he shops, cooks, and does all laundry. He is really weird about laundry and has to do it, so who am I to stop him?
    Yep one day my future daughter in law will thank me lol. My 15yr old does all the above and my Mom is constantly telling me I make him do too much(her son still brings his damn laundry to her house and comes to dinner every night if his recent piece of ass isn't available to cook)
    Butterfly likes this.
    Silly bitches, twitchy links are NOT for kids!-Mel

Instant mashed potatoes? The very phrase makes my ass twitch. I love lumps, dammit!
    Butterfly likes this.

A*O

Quote Originally Posted by faithanne View Post
    More or less. It Bonox is saltier.
    Dame Edna Everage

Thread Information