Page 16 of 53 FirstFirst ... 612131415161718192026 ... LastLast
Results 226 to 240 of 792
Like Tree751Likes

Thread: 30 Non-Americans on normal American stuff they find weird

  1. #226
    Elite Member levitt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    the sin bin
    Posts
    14,221

    Default

    I love instant mash and I love canned potatoes!
    Ain't nothing wrong with Ohio wang! - MontanaMama

  2. #227
    Elite Member yanna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    9,521

    Default

    I don't think there's anything wrong with frozen vegetables. Studies have shown that they are just as good as fresh. Canned is another story. There is way too much salt and preservatives and other shit in them.

    I can't ask the boyfriend for anything from the stores. Partly because he doesn't speak Greek so can't read labels and partly because he's just hopeless. One time I wanted liquid detergent for baby clothes and he came back with fabric softener because it had a baby on the bottle.
    What if Superman is psychotic and everyone can see that he's Clark Kent but they just play along not to set him off?

  3. #228
    Elite Member Kittylady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'
    Posts
    17,065

    Default

    Mmmm Smash! Not had that since I was a kid.

    I use mostly frozen veg and steam it because a lot of the time I'm cooking for one and wouldn't be able to eat my way through a load of fresh veggies in time. It's also a hell of a lot cheaper and I can have more variety on a limited budget.
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. Hunter S Thompson

    How big would a T-Rex wang be?! - Karistiona


  4. #229
    Elite Member Mel1973's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Cuntopia
    Posts
    42,951

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WhateverLolaWants View Post
    Heh, I live in the US, too. I just don't encounter a lot of recipes with canned or frozen food in them, so I was curious. Granted, I only own one cookbook (The Joy of Cooking)
    wow... I probably have 100 (or more) cookbooks. I actually had a friend bring over some boxes because I HAVE to get rid of some of my books. I plan on taking them to Half Priced Books this weekend...
    Quote Originally Posted by levitt View Post
    I love instant mash and I love canned potatoes!
    ICK!
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(_)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

  5. #230
    Elite Member MsDark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Northwest MS/Memphis TN
    Posts
    24,162

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    The "sweet" food is usually down to the insidious and widespread presence of high fructose corn syrup that goes into a LOT of food, often without being labelled. The US Govt pays a fortune in subsidies to farmers to grow maise and they have to do something with it all. The great consuming public has grown a taste for it so food without HFCS tastes "weird". Also, in the great Low Fat diet conspiracy foods that proclaim to be 98% Fat Free usually contain large amounts of sugar/HFCS to make it palatable to people conditioned to prefer sweet foods in the first place. Read the labels. They call sugar "energy" these days to mislead people even more.
    That'd be scary if it was true. But they are required to list these things, and as an avid label-reader, the first thing I usually see on the list of ingredients in any product that contains HFCS (which is unfortunately a fuck ton of products) is: Contents: High-Fructose Corn Syrup, etc....

    You can avoid it if you read labels. I'm trying to do this. And I can definitely tell the difference in taste when I choose products not made using it.

    Quote Originally Posted by faithanne View Post
    I also sent him off to buy a tin of tomatoes (see I do buy tinned food! contents: tomatoes) and a clove of garlic to make a quick pasta sauce with my home grown basil and he'd bring back a jar of garlic flavoured pasta sauce containing sugar plus a whole lot of ingredients expressed as letters and figures. Moron. Or he was doing it on purpose so I would stop sending him to the shops. Arsehole.
    This is the kind of fuckery that would ensue if I sent my husband to the store for something like this. Unless I was very specific. If I run out of something I need him to pick up, I've even texted him a fucking picture of exactly what I needed. If it's possible to do this, it increase the chances he's not gonna come home with something totally wrong.
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

    "I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

  6. #231
    Elite Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    3,205

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    Agree but since I'm in guilty pleasures confession mode I'll also state my secret love of powdered/instant mashed potato.

    I wish they still did these adverts

    I had never laid eyes on those until college. I remember thinking they were magic!

  7. #232
    Elite Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    3,205

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by yanna View Post
    I can't ask the boyfriend for anything from the stores. Partly because he doesn't speak Greek so can't read labels and partly because he's just hopeless. One time I wanted liquid detergent for baby clothes and he came back with fabric softener because it had a baby on the bottle.


    Seems logical!

  8. #233
    Elite Member Butterfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    In a Handbasket
    Posts
    5,444

    Default

    In Colorado they have a lot of fresh produce in grocery stores, just like in all the states, but in places like Florida there are fresh produce farm markets all over the place... I have at least 5 in a 3 mile radius.

    I can't stomach canned veggies & fruits, but will buy frozen...especially, berries.
    ><((((>. . `.><((((>><((((>`..`...><((((>.`.. ><((((> `..`...><((((>

  9. #234
    Elite Member sprynkles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    At the salon
    Posts
    17,869

    Default

    Let's not forget this gawdawful "cheese". It is the saltiest substance on earth.


    Meryl doesn't even try anymore. She just calls Lanvin and asks for curtains with a belt.~Bitter
    Can we interest you in Leann Rimes? She has a nice little cadre of fans you'd probably enjoy.~ Pecan Pie

  10. #235
    A*O
    A*O is offline
    Friend of Gossip Rocks! A*O's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Being Paula
    Posts
    30,300

    Default

    Another atrocity from Kraft. But I forgive them because they make Vegemite too.

    I think blokes deliberately turn into complete tards when asked to go grocery shopping because it's not manly and if they bring the wrong stuff home they won't be asked to do it again. MrAO is pretty good but has a tendency to rummage through the bashed and dented tin bin or the date expired stuff for random "bargains".
    olivia and faithanne like this.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

    Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

  11. #236
    Elite Member southernbelle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    9,578

    Default

    I tried Vegemite at an international fair, but had only heard of it before in that 80s song where it's like, "I said do you speak my language, she just smiled and gave me a vegemite sandwich." Most Americans that I know aren't aware of it, so after I tried it, I decided to prank a friend of mine and spread some on a piece of bread as if it were Nutella. He vomited.
    Kittylady likes this.

  12. #237
    Elite Member SHELLEE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Florida Keys
    Posts
    18,446

    Default

    I think most 80's kids know it from that Men at Work song.
    gas_chick likes this.
    See, Whores, we are good for something. Love, Florida
    #fingersinthebootyassbitch

  13. #238
    Elite Member Karistiona's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Alba
    Posts
    12,628

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    Another atrocity from Kraft. But I forgive them because they make Vegemite too.

    I think blokes deliberately turn into complete tards when asked to go grocery shopping because it's not manly and if they bring the wrong stuff home they won't be asked to do it again. MrAO is pretty good but has a tendency to rummage through the bashed and dented tin bin or the date expired stuff for random "bargains".
    The only bloke I've come across who is good at food shopping is my big brother. He *loves* doing the Asda run, and he's actually an excellent and efficient grocery shopper. My ex just point-blank refused to set food in the food shop unless he was going for a case of beer and snacks. Dick.
    I smile because I have no idea what's going on

  14. #239
    Elite Member sputnik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    fellow traveller
    Posts
    51,121

    Default

    interesting. i think pretty much all the guys i've dated since my student days have at least decent cooks. a few were exceptional, real foodies who'd hit the farmers markets and everything. and i can only think of one student boyfriend that was useless in the kitchen but he liked eating well so he wasn't a total lost cause.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

  15. #240
    Super Moderator twitchy2.0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Milliways
    Posts
    53,850

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sprynkles View Post
    Let's not forget this gawdawful "cheese". It is the saltiest substance on earth.

    I wonder what its ingredients were like in 1928 compared with today.

    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

    -- Stephen Hawking

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. American Family Association to Muslim-Americans: convert or leave
    By buttmunch in forum U.S. Politics and Issues
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: April 21st, 2010, 10:58 AM
  2. Jason Mraz posts weird stuff on MySpace
    By mrs.v in forum Latest Gossip
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: June 4th, 2008, 08:05 PM
  3. Replies: 7
    Last Post: December 6th, 2007, 01:16 AM
  4. Replies: 27
    Last Post: June 28th, 2007, 07:42 AM
  5. Celebs continue obsession with weird religious stuff
    By SuperHeroTights in forum Miscellaneous
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: January 22nd, 2007, 11:39 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •