Page 15 of 53 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617181925 ... LastLast
Like Tree751Likes

Thread: 30 Non-Americans on normal American stuff they find weird

A*O

The daily calorie limit varies so much anyway. If I ate the "ideal" 2,500 calls per day I GAIN weight. I have to aim for 1000 or less. Less than about 30g carbs per day works much better for me.
    I'mNotBitter likes this.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Of course you would gain with 2500 a day. A normal sized, sedentary woman has a maintenance of about 1900. But 1000 is so little! I would soon disappear if I ate 1000. I used to keep my carbs at 20 gr but I can't go that low anymore now that I am cooking for two. Not to mention that until I wean the little bastard I need to be getting carbs for milk production.
    What if Superman is psychotic and everyone can see that he's Clark Kent but they just play along not to set him off?

Or you can avoid all this label angst if you eat mostly fresh food. I buy packaged wholemeal bread rolls, lebanese bread, hommous and felafels. Everything else pretty much is fresh - salad, veges etc and deli foods like fetta cheese but I don't even bother reading the labels because it's not like I eat a whole block in one sitting, and the worst thing about fetta is the salt and I don't add salt to anything else so a little bit won't hurt. The main reason I read the labels is to make sure they're vego/vegan.
    "You're going to die tomorrow, Lord Bolton. Sleep well."

A*O

Agree, but we are incredibly lucky to have access to so much cheap and fresh produce. It can be incredibly difficult to find in some places either because it's just not available and/or very expensive. Or there's no demand for it. Chicken and egg I guess. I have several American recipe books and can't believe how much canned or frozen stuff they use instead of fresh.
    Dame Edna Everage

Interesting. What kind of things do they use canned/frozen stuff in?
    ----------------------------
    There will be times you might leap before you look
    There'll be times you'll like the cover and that's precisely why you'll love the book
    Do it anyway

Quote Originally Posted by WhateverLolaWants View Post
    Interesting. What kind of things do they use canned/frozen stuff in?
    Name something fresh and you can buy a frozen or canned version of it in the USA. That includes beans/legumes, potatoes. Leafy vegetables, but not lettuce. Not apples or citrus.

What I pay attention to in the nutrition labels is the fat calories as a percentage of total calories. Because that is the part of the food that will be metabolized last. I also pay attention to sugar as a percentage of the calories. I would go for higher protein and less fat and carbs. Protein (I think) gets processed/metabolized faster either through ketosis or through excretion, whereas carbs get converted into blood glucose and then fat (if they don't get burned), while fat gets stored as fat. My experience benefitting by thinking this way is purely anecdotal, but it has always worked for me.

Heh, I live in the US, too. I just don't encounter a lot of recipes with canned or frozen food in them, so I was curious. Granted, I only own one cookbook (The Joy of Cooking)
    ----------------------------
    There will be times you might leap before you look
    There'll be times you'll like the cover and that's precisely why you'll love the book
    Do it anyway

I'm curious too. I own several cookbooks and the ingredients lists are almost always fresh food. I guess you will see an occasional "fresh or canned" for things like spinach or peaches.

I see it on here all the time, recipes using canned soup or packet mixes etc. But A*O is right, we have access to a lot more fresh produce here that isn't likely to break the bank, and in my area I have 2 organic produce markets plus a spice market, so I can get pretty much everything as close to fresh as possible.

A*O

I'm OK with some canned fruit, maybe, but canned veggies are revoltingly sweet, soggy and have that nasty metallic/chemical taste. Frozen veggies can be useful and OK if push comes to shove. I can't believe the vast choice of sauces, package seasonings and mixes, dressings, flavourings, etc available in the US. They are mostly artificial colours, flavours, SALT! and preservatives so I avoid but some are tasty and a guilty pleasure.
    Dame Edna Everage

I'm 130lbs, and would starve if I only ate 1000 calories per day. Holy Shit.

I love the US labels, and I really only look at the carb count myself.

You can get canned apples and oranges BTW.
    RELIGION: Treat it like it's your genitalia. Don't show it off in public, and don't shove it down your children's throats.

Canned potatoes are the thing that really mystify me.
    louiswinthorpe111 likes this.

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

-- Stephen Hawking

A*O

Agree but since I'm in guilty pleasures confession mode I'll also state my secret love of powdered/instant mashed potato.

I wish they still did these adverts

Dame Edna Everage

Quote Originally Posted by twitchy2.0 View Post
    Canned potatoes are the thing that really mystify me.
    I've seen canned meatless fried chicken in a Seventh Day Adventist store. I was a little tempted to buy it, just for the experience.

My ex had some kind of retail blindness when it came to fresh food. I'd ask him to run to the shop and get a lemon, and he'd come back with a squeezy bottle of lemon juice while assuring me that it tastes just like lemons. You know what else tastes just like lemons? A FUCKING LEMON! I would use it maybe twice before it started tasting bad so the rest would clean the kitchen bench tops. I also sent him off to buy a tin of tomatoes (see I do buy tinned food! contents: tomatoes) and a clove of garlic to make a quick pasta sauce with my home grown basil and he'd bring back a jar of garlic flavoured pasta sauce containing sugar plus a whole lot of ingredients expressed as letters and figures. Moron. Or he was doing it on purpose so I would stop sending him to the shops. Arsehole.
    A*O, yanna, palta and 5 others like this.

Thread Information