Page 13 of 53 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast
Results 181 to 195 of 792
Like Tree751Likes

Thread: 30 Non-Americans on normal American stuff they find weird

  1. #181
    Elite Member faithanne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    On the Hellmouth
    Posts
    12,612

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    A UK family moved in opposite and they had also been brainwashed by Steve Irwin. For the first six months they kept all the lights on at night "to keep the snakes away" and checked under the toilet seat for spiders. This is in an ordinary city suburb, not outback Woop Woop.
    Maybe the hipsters drove all the critters away because they had bad haircuts or weren't wearing the right shoes (that's Melbourne for you) but Sydney is surrounded by bush with big patches of it all through the burbs and trust me, we get all sorts of awesome beasties living close to the city. Even in the inner suburbs there are snakes and goannas and blue tongues as big as small Komodo dragons. I grew up right on the edge of the bush and we definitely had to check the toilet seat, but it was an outside loo. We had amazing birds though, even lyre birds. When I was really young we had wallabies living down the back but the feral cats killed them off or drove them into the national park. So I sort of lived in the Steve Irwin version of the city.

    this isn't helping with trying to sell our soft and cuddly image, but it's really not an issue especially for tourists. If you go bush you'll have people who know what they're doing giving you advice. We probably lose more tourists in the ocean and not from sharks but because they can't swim and ignore the lifesavers' warnings to stay between the flags.
    "You're going to die tomorrow, Lord Bolton. Sleep well."



  2. #182
    Elite Member Icepik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    10,723

    Default

    I just started dating a guy that came from England a few years ago, and I don't know if he's teasing me or not, but he told me it 's weird to see chipmunks running around outside because in England you can only see/buy them in pet stores to keep as pets.

  3. #183
    Elite Member Sarzy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    England
    Posts
    14,567

    Default

    ^ He's not teasing you!

  4. #184
    Elite Member Kittylady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'
    Posts
    18,508

    Default

    Talking with the Bloke about American food last night and the one thing that seems to bother him more than anything else is American cheese. He's not a fan of it at all and misses the tons of varieties we have here. I made a joke about Cheez Whiz and was rewarded with a diatribe on how it shouldn't be considered food, never mind cheese.
    Bellatheball likes this.
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. Hunter S Thompson

    How big would a T-Rex wang be?! - Karistiona


  5. #185
    Elite Member levitt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    the sin bin
    Posts
    14,581

    Default

    I met one of my housemate's friends for the first time on Saturday and what a treat he was. Proceeded to tell me that all Americans are stupid. He has never once stepped foot in the US, and apparently he can't either, as he has a criminal record (I told you, a treat for all). I nearly punched him in the face. Mel, I would have done it for you. It was one of those moments that was ridiculous in its irony - here is this guy lambasting all Americans as being "stupid", and has come to that conclusion by what I assume is the media and films, having never once stepped foot in the country or possibly even met an American. What an ignorant, arrogant twat.
    Ain't nothing wrong with Ohio wang! - MontanaMama

  6. #186
    czb
    czb is offline
    Elite Member czb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    left coast
    Posts
    13,800

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    ^^hear, hear.

    i'd put my local bakers products up against italy and france's for both breads and pastries and they'd be about even. maybe if you live in Bumfuck AK you can only get shitty food, but in any decent sized metro area in the states you can get almost anything, including all sorts of imports.
    agree with a lot of what you said. however, i would *not* put local pizza or bagels against NY ones, yours are definitely superior. other baked goods here are on par.

    the bagel pain saddens me. whenever we go to NY, we hit essa. nom nom. john's for pizza. ferrara's for treats. Deli food is about the only foods that i have seen that are superior in LA compared to here. even though LA have more celebrity restaurants, our food is better. except for new york deli food.

    and for levitt, nah, i've people like that guy. i remember i was on a flight to maccu picchu and there was only a small number of americans on it - everyone else was local. a couple of guys/women were talking amongst each other, but very loudly, about how uneducated americans were, never travel, just so unpleasant to deal with. really weird interaction.
    eta: levitt's comment.

  7. #187
    Elite Member Butterfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    In a Handbasket
    Posts
    5,445

    Default

    I live in *cough*South Florida*cough* and we have a lot of shit here that will kill ya! Alligators, Coral Snakes, Water Moccasins, Sharks, and some pretty damn big spiders! Damn, I miss Colorado... never once saw anything poisonous or deadly living there for almost 30 years.
    ><((((>. . `.><((((>><((((>`..`...><((((>.`.. ><((((> `..`...><((((>

  8. #188
    Elite Member pinkbunnyslippers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    99 miles from NYC
    Posts
    5,378

    Default

    Jelly looks like gelatin, and jam has a thicker consistency with real fruit pieces. I know the difference
    "Fashion is an art, but individuality is the key"

  9. #189
    Elite Member Mel1973's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Cuntopia
    Posts
    42,972

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    Every country has love/hate food/drink. It's probably Vegemite (love) and Cherry Ripe (hate) here. Thanks to clever advertising everyone thinks Aussies only drink XXXX when in fact nobody does. Many pubs don't even serve it.

    Oh and I'll put a deadly Aussie snake against a equally deadly US rattlesnake. I don't hear Americans squealing about their own deadly fauna.
    We kill all our deadly fauna! THAT'S why we all need/have guns!
    Quote Originally Posted by MontanaMama View Post
    Y'alls bitches are picking on us again...MEL!!!!!!!
    can't turn my back on them, can I?

    Quote Originally Posted by I'mNotBitter View Post
    Yes, it's embarrassing to admit to living in Texas at times
    I mosty blame Rick Perry lately.
    Quote Originally Posted by SHELLEE View Post
    Even Australians make fun of Florida? Jeesh.
    I told you "scourge of the planet"!
    Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    The biggest problem between the US and the Rest Of The World is the language! Even English speakers don't understand each other half the time LOL. It's mostly the vocabulary of course, what Americans know as JELLY (fruit spread for bread) is called JAM by the ROTW. Currents are small, dried grapes used in cakes, etc. Black or Red Currents are different.

    ^^^^ Note it's BLACK current, it's the name of the fruit, not the colour of the jam. Completely different to plain old cooking currents [\pedant]
    at least WE know the difference between "current" and "currant" - well.. most of us do!
    Quote Originally Posted by levitt View Post
    I met one of my housemate's friends for the first time on Saturday and what a treat he was. Proceeded to tell me that all Americans are stupid. He has never once stepped foot in the US, and apparently he can't either, as he has a criminal record (I told you, a treat for all). I nearly punched him in the face. Mel, I would have done it for you. It was one of those moments that was ridiculous in its irony - here is this guy lambasting all Americans as being "stupid", and has come to that conclusion by what I assume is the media and films, having never once stepped foot in the country or possibly even met an American. What an ignorant, arrogant twat.
    He sounds lovely. Probably one of those nice fellas who admit to referring to Americans as "septos", was it?
    Quote Originally Posted by pinkbunnyslippers View Post
    Jelly looks like gelatin, and jam has a thicker consistency with real fruit pieces. I know the difference
    and then there are the fruit "preserves"...
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(_)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

  10. #190
    Elite Member levitt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    the sin bin
    Posts
    14,581

    Default

    He wouldn't even know what that meant, Mel. It was one of those conversations where I had to just sit quiet, because you can't argue with a complete dolt like that. He said he wouldn't mind going to Las Vegas, so I think that pretty much paints the full picture of this guy. I'm glad he can't go to the US, he doesn't deserve it. Felt like he was insulting my parents. I'm actively getting mad about it again...
    Ain't nothing wrong with Ohio wang! - MontanaMama

  11. #191
    Elite Member Trixie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    exiled and ostrich sized
    Posts
    18,894

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mel1973 View Post
    at least WE know the difference between "current" and "currant" - well.. most of us do!
    Ha, somebody had to say it. Of course we know the difference because we used to have that tv show with Maury Povich "A Currant Affair."
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~



  12. #192
    Elite Member McJag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    42,527

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kittylady View Post
    Talking with the Bloke about American food last night and the one thing that seems to bother him more than anything else is American cheese. He's not a fan of it at all and misses the tons of varieties we have here. I made a joke about Cheez Whiz and was rewarded with a diatribe on how it shouldn't be considered food, never mind cheese.
    This is so true! My Mother only knew of American cheese. I hate American cheese. It was years before I discovered there were some great cheeses out there. Cheese Whiz sould be outlawed.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

  13. #193
    Elite Member sputnik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    fellow traveller
    Posts
    52,273

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    ^^hear, hear.

    i'd put my local bakers products up against italy and france's for both breads and pastries and they'd be about even. maybe if you live in Bumfuck AK you can only get shitty food, but in any decent sized metro area in the states you can get almost anything, including all sorts of imports.
    I agree but I bet the article is probably referring to bread at subway or fast food places or hot dog buns and that sort of thing, not proper bakeries. If I go to the bakery near my place I can get an incredible baguette that rivals France's. But if you're talking about the average mass produced bun that you get if you buy a sandwich or burger or hot dog from somewhere in the street then yes, it's way sweeter than their equivalents across the Atlantic or in other parts of the world.
    McJag likes this.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

  14. #194
    Elite Member MsDark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Northwest MS/Memphis TN
    Posts
    26,272

    Default

    I think we've got to be the only country that has crap like this:

    I'mNotBitter likes this.
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

    "I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

  15. #195
    Elite Member Sarzy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    England
    Posts
    14,567

    Default

    ^ We have this.... Prawn squeezy cheese. *gag*


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. American Family Association to Muslim-Americans: convert or leave
    By buttmunch in forum U.S. Politics and Issues
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: April 21st, 2010, 09:58 AM
  2. Jason Mraz posts weird stuff on MySpace
    By mrs.v in forum Latest Gossip
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: June 4th, 2008, 07:05 PM
  3. Replies: 7
    Last Post: December 6th, 2007, 01:16 AM
  4. Replies: 27
    Last Post: June 28th, 2007, 06:42 AM
  5. Celebs continue obsession with weird religious stuff
    By SuperHeroTights in forum Miscellaneous
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: January 22nd, 2007, 11:39 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •