Page 12 of 53 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast
Like Tree751Likes

Thread: 30 Non-Americans on normal American stuff they find weird

I imagine they do have Ribena in the U.S., as we have it here in Canada. If it's not in the regular juice aisle it might be in the "fancy" beverages aisle, next to the Orangina and energy drinks and stuff. It's definitely not a big thing or a major player in the market here though.

I think there probably are a lot of grape flavoured products in North America. If you think of any packaged candy, kids' "fruit" snack, beverage, or syrupy medicine, they all come in grape. But fruit punch, lemon-lime, and "wildberry", whatever that is, are just as common, I think.
    Novice likes this.
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

Bronze Member

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    The biggest problem between the US and the Rest Of The World is the language! Even English speakers don't understand each other half the time LOL. It's mostly the vocabulary of course, what Americans know as JELLY (fruit spread for bread) is called JAM by the ROTW. Currents are small, dried grapes used in cakes, etc. Black or Red Currents are different.

^^^^ Note it's BLACK current, it's the name of the fruit, not the colour of the jam. Completely different to plain old cooking currents [\pedant]
    I remember, as a kid, trying to figure out how exactly Americans made a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. It just didn't seem viable at all and quite frankly disgusting. Then I learned the jelly/jam thing. I had pictured them trying to make a sandwich with peanut butter and jello (what we call jelly here in Eire)
    faithanne and sprynkles like this.

Nod, I had to explain that one a lot when I was living in New Zealand. "No, we just mean peanut butter and jam sandwich. There's no 'jelly' (jello, for us) involved."
    ----------------------------
    There will be times you might leap before you look
    There'll be times you'll like the cover and that's precisely why you'll love the book
    Do it anyway

Bronze Member

And the chips/crisps one was confusing at first. I've only ever been to New York so far but would love to visit again. Couldn't imagine living anywhere but here even though Husband is very keen on Oz. I've some family there at this point but the spiders and creepy crawlies freak the fuck outta me. I'll keep my rain and you can keep the sun and spiders!

^The creepy crawlies are a myth - see A*O's post back in the thread (yes, it's all Steve Irwin RIP's fault). OK not exactly a myth, because they do exist, but they really have no impact on our lives day to day unless we're cleaning out the shed or going bush or something.
    A*O and rocky road like this.
    "You're going to die tomorrow, Lord Bolton. Sleep well."

Elite Member

I always call it jam because I hate the word jelly. :x
    Tati likes this.

I was always taught that it was jam if it had bits and/or seeds in it, jelly if it was clear.
    ----------------------------
    There will be times you might leap before you look
    There'll be times you'll like the cover and that's precisely why you'll love the book
    Do it anyway

Quote Originally Posted by stella blue View Post
    I always call it jam because I hate the word jelly. :x
    What if it were "moist jelly"?
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

I hate grape anything, especially the smell. I love blueberry preserves, the rest of you all can keep the jelly jam crap.
    ><((((>. . `.><((((>><((((>`..`...><((((>.`.. ><((((> `..`...><((((>

Jelly belongs with ice cream. Jam belongs on toast or occasionally in donuts.
    Kittylady, rocky road and Novice like this.
    "You're going to die tomorrow, Lord Bolton. Sleep well."

A*O

Most Aussies live in cities. The wildlife lives far away in the bush or desert. We don't have kangaroos grazing in suburban backyards (OK, maybe in Canberra) and we don't have creepy crawlies, "deadly" or otherwise, lurking everywhere. It's a bit like saying you won't visit NYC because there are rattle snakes in the Arizona desert.

A UK family moved in opposite and they had also been brainwashed by Steve Irwin. For the first six months they kept all the lights on at night "to keep the snakes away" and checked under the toilet seat for spiders. This is in an ordinary city suburb, not outback Woop Woop.

Come on you people, get a grip and come on Down Under. I promise you will make it out alive. And stop watching Steve Irwin exaggerated propaganda. He did it to earn money, not necessarily tell the truth.
    faithanne and Brookie like this.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

czb

i am late to this thread (as usual).

where do people find sweet bread? are they talking about wonder bread? all the bread we eat comes from local bakeries that don't put sugar in the bread at all. local posters will know what i am talking about - semi freddis, acme (olive bread), etc etc. as for walmarts and fast food, there really aren't so many around here.

the rest of the article was pretty funny, esp the bit about ordering a sandwich.

^^hear, hear.

i'd put my local bakers products up against italy and france's for both breads and pastries and they'd be about even. maybe if you live in Bumfuck AK you can only get shitty food, but in any decent sized metro area in the states you can get almost anything, including all sorts of imports.
    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by Brookie View Post
    What if it were "moist jelly"?
    Brookie likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    Most Aussies live in cities. The wildlife lives far away in the bush or desert. We don't have kangaroos grazing in suburban backyards (OK, maybe in Canberra) and we don't have creepy crawlies, "deadly" or otherwise, lurking everywhere. It's a bit like saying you won't visit NYC because there are rattle snakes in the Arizona desert.

A UK family moved in opposite and they had also been brainwashed by Steve Irwin. For the first six months they kept all the lights on at night "to keep the snakes away" and checked under the toilet seat for spiders. This is in an ordinary city suburb, not outback Woop Woop.

Come on you people, get a grip and come on Down Under. I promise you will make it out alive. And stop watching Steve Irwin exaggerated propaganda. He did it to earn money, not necessarily tell the truth.
    Why the heck would people move there if they where so friggin afraid?
    Quote Originally Posted by czb View Post
    i am late to this thread (as usual).

where do people find sweet bread? are they talking about wonder bread? all the bread we eat comes from local bakeries that don't put sugar in the bread at all. local posters will know what i am talking about - semi freddis, acme (olive bread), etc etc. as for walmarts and fast food, there really aren't so many around here.

the rest of the article was pretty funny, esp the bit about ordering a sandwich.
    Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    ^^hear, hear.

i'd put my local bakers products up against italy and france's for both breads and pastries and they'd be about even. maybe if you live in Bumfuck AK you can only get shitty food, but in any decent sized metro area in the states you can get almost anything, including all sorts of imports.
    Thank you both.
    See, Whores, we are good for something. Love, Florida
    #fingersinthebootyassbitch

Thread Information