Page 11 of 53 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast
Like Tree751Likes

Thread: 30 Non-Americans on normal American stuff they find weird

Quote Originally Posted by southernbelle View Post
    I'm American and I agree our public toilet stalls with the gaps in the doors are problematic. I didn't realize that they're not like that everywhere. But I won't use public bathrooms unless it's an absolute emergency. I would rather wait for hours than use a public toilet.
    If you value your kidneys I really think you should reconsider that. I know two women who ended up in the hospital and one of them nearly lost her kidney because they would hold it in for hours and hours.
    Brookie and twitchy2.0 like this.
    If a god of love and life ever did exist... he is long since dead. Someone... something, rules in his place.

^I'm like Costanza, I always know the cleanest public toilet within a block of anywhere in the city, but if I have to go I'll use any grotty old place rather than hold on. I always carry hand sanitiser anyway, but even when I don't I'll still make the best of even the most basic facilities - it builds character. But when you can go in the men's room of a gay nightclub with a drag queen snorting coke off the cistern and 2 lesbians humping on each other while you try to hold the door shut with your foot, you can go anywhere.
    A*O, Novice, Karistiona and 2 others like this.
    "You're going to die tomorrow, Lord Bolton. Sleep well."

I think they do it so they 'air out' better, or at least that's the argument for it. The true reason is that they're cheap fuckers, of course.
    ----------------------------
    There will be times you might leap before you look
    There'll be times you'll like the cover and that's precisely why you'll love the book
    Do it anyway

Quote Originally Posted by yanna View Post
    If you value your kidneys I really think you should reconsider that. I know two women who ended up in the hospital and one of them nearly lost her kidney because they would hold it in for hours and hours.
    If I gotta go, I just go. None of this hold it in shit until I can find a designer bathroom.
    sputnik, angelais, Mivvi21 and 2 others like this.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

i'm perplexed by people who won't pee just anywhere. and even more so by women (it's always women in my experience) who won't poo anywhere but at home. i'm convinced this is why so many women are constipated.
    OrangeSlice and scarlett like this.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

^^^ give me a bush & a nettle free area & I'm happy! Lol!
    Free Charmed.

Seriously, I hike distances in the Canadian Rockies. Available bathroom? I don't think so. It's called pull over, tell your hiking partner to keep walking, find a bush/tree, pee, twerk the excess off, yank up hiking pants, find trail again, find partner again. Oh what a relief it is.
    Novice and SHELLEE like this.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

"Twerk excess off"!!! Love it!
    Brookie and SHELLEE like this.
    Free Charmed.

I'm not such a stickler to the point of holding it in (I sit on the seat, give the seat a quick wipe with tp to make sure it's not wet, flush with my foot). But man I love me a clean bathroom. Many times, when I write my yelp reviews I include my rating of an establishment's bathroom. If it's got a consistently clean one, this is mentioned in glowing terms.

I'm a princess and will hold it only in cases where there is nastiness in the toilet that hasn't been flushed and looks in danger of overflowing even if I try to flush it. Or if there's standing water on the floor or if it smells like it hasn't been cleaned in the last decade. Once I was working in south L.A. in a park that I soon learned was so ghetto that addicts regularly shot up in the bathrooms. I had to go pee a couple times and it felt like what prison must be like--standing water, dirty needles, homeless people taking sink showers, blood on the walls, one time the light wasn't working and it was pitch black in there. There was this other poor lady who had to go and looked as hesitant as I was so we took turns holding the outer door open to let light in and keep freaks out. After that I refused to drink water before or during my shifts there.
    Last edited by Beeyotch; November 10th, 2013 at 02:25 PM.
    southernbelle likes this.

I didn't read them all but, as an American, I agree with most of them. I always wanted to know why there are gaps between bathroom doors. I believe they should swing outward, so you don't have to get so close to the wall or toilet just to open the door. I like that the seats are low, because I am short. But I have noticed some that are too low, or too high.

Grape everything? I saw currant flavored things in the UK. I never knew what a currant was until I saw currant spread for bread. Then I saw flavored juice.

I'm not a huge fan of chocolate, but not all American chocolate sucks. It depends on which brand is bought.

I do not wear shoes in the house.
    ribbit likes this.
    "Fashion is an art, but individuality is the key"

A*O

American chocolate is made from inferior quality cocoa beans from South America (Brazil). Apparently the majority of US consumers prefer it. The good stuff is grown in West Africa and used in Europe.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

the only chocolate I buy anymore is those Ghiradelli sqaures.

not sure where it comes from but its a lot better than the rest of it.
    Clubber Lang likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kat Scorp View Post
    My fellow 1982 Scorpion! Never occurred to me that penises go into ears until your twitpics
    @NickoMoralesXXX
    @Sexy_Seth_1982 awe sexy! You're just too cute to be true- I can't take my eyes off of you-

Quote Originally Posted by pinkbunnyslippers View Post
    I didn't read them all but, as an American, I agree with most of them. I always wanted to know why there are gaps between bathroom doors. I believe they should swing outward, so you don't have to get so close to the wall or toilet just to open the door. I like that the seats are low, because I am short. But I have noticed some that are too low, or too high.

Grape everything? I saw currant flavored things in the UK. I never knew what a currant was until I saw currant spread for bread. Then I saw flavored juice.

I'm not a huge fan of chocolate, but not all American chocolate sucks. It depends on which brand is bought.

I do not wear shoes in the house.
    ??? Currant spread for bread? I thought currant jam? Red currant? Black currant? You guys have black currant flavoured stuff, I can't remember if you have Ribena (but I doubt it at this point)...
    Free Charmed.

Ok, currant jam then. It's still spreadable, to go on bread

The first time I heard of currants, was in 2001 in England. I have seen it here since then. I know of strawberry, or grape. Cherry here and there. I never heard of Ribena. I don't buy fruit spreads, jams, jellies, or preserves, so I don't look for it.
    "Fashion is an art, but individuality is the key"

A*O

The biggest problem between the US and the Rest Of The World is the language! Even English speakers don't understand each other half the time LOL. It's mostly the vocabulary of course, what Americans know as JELLY (fruit spread for bread) is called JAM by the ROTW. Currents are small, dried grapes used in cakes, etc. Black or Red Currents are different.

^^^^ Note it's BLACK current, it's the name of the fruit, not the colour of the jam. Completely different to plain old cooking currents [\pedant]
    rocky road likes this.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Page 11 of 53 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

Thread Information