Thread: Anyone ever been to Montego Bay?

Bronze Member

Default Anyone ever been to Montego Bay?

My boss is taking all of us to Jamaica for New Year's Eve, and we're staying at the Ritz-Carlton Rose Hall. Just wondering if anyone has any personal experience with this resort and the area around it. We can't wait to go!

Never been to the Jamaican resorts, only with a cruise ship. We had a wonderful woman as our tour guide who used to live in the US and retired to Jamaica. One of the things she stressed the most is that Jamaica is not nearly as bad/dangerous as a lot of American tourism groups and resorts attempt to make it out to be. The resorts want you to stay on their grounds and spend your money there, so they'll take you on your trips out to these open air markets or this HUGE tent covered market so the "silly Americans" can get scared by the aggressive sales style there (they will practically physically pull you over to look at their stuff and then make you feel bad for not buying anything). When you go out on your own though it isn't nearly as bad. The island is gorgeous though. When I was there we climbed a waterfall that is less popular than Dunns River Falls, it was great b/c there were less people there and we were able to take our time exploring the area a bit. I'll see if I can scan some of my pictures from Jamaica and post them the next time I go home.

Bronze Member

Thanks very much! We took a Carnival cruise to Ocho Rios (we had a whole six hours in Jamaica), and we didn't get to see much. We've been told the same thing about safety, so I feel better. Getting off the ship a few years ago scared the bejeezus out of me 'cause no one told us how protected we would be. We have a whole five days to explore this time, not to mention New Years Eve looking out at the Caribbean. I would love to see your pictures!

While I've never been to Montego Bay, I work in the travel industry and wanted to let you know that Tripadvisor.com has wiki-style "inside" pages written by travelers. I usually find a lot of great info here and prefer it to other sites such as Frommer's or Foders that offer "expert" advice. With the volume and availibility of consumer reviews available out there, I prefer to take advice from travelers like myself, rather than these so-called "experts."

Here's the link to Montego Bay's page: http://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g1...ca:Inside.html

Also, check out some hotel reviews for Ritz-Carlton Rosehall on Expedia. I know for a fact that only customers that stayed at the hotels can write reviews, unlike tripadvisor where anyone can write a review, including the hotel or its competition. http://www.expedia.com/pub/agent.dll...crti=7&cadu1=2
    debauched.

I was there for dinner, Montego Bay is a bit less touristy than other places like Negril. It is still very nice though.
    www.thefreebiedepot.com/
    http://literanista.blogspot.com/

I went to Montego Bay last January. It was the nicest vacation ever. We stayed at a Sandals. The people of Jamaica are beautiful, I still think of some that I met & wonder how they are doing.

Ok I want to work where you work and get a trip to Jamacia

Bronze Member

My boss deserves an award! He is the most generous guy on the planet. Absolutely anything we need to borrow from the office, anything we need for making our day easier, and he's all for it. None of that looking over your shoulder crap. He trusts us to do a good job, and because of that faith, we do our very best. He's not one of those jerks that keeps everything for himself. He likes to spread the wealth. OK, enough about how wonderful he is! Thanks for all of your replies! I really appreciate it!

Thread Information