Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: Bucharest, Romania

Default Bucharest, Romania

Iím going to Bucharest with work and *might* manage half a day in the city on the last day.
    Iím hoping for Xmas fairs & food stalls but does anyone have any iconic recommendations that are a *must see*?
    Thanks

^No idea, but enjoy!
    fgg and Novice like this.

many moons ago, i was in bucharest for about 12 hours and it was not a pleasant experience. i'm sure it's way different now but this was in 1998 and even though communism was over, the country wasn't exactly back in shape and it was corrupt as fuck and basically chaos. i was on my way back from a two-month backpacking trip with 2 friends. we were poor, exhausted, and because we suck at math, our interrail passes expired before we got back to vienna from istanbul. the romanian train inspectors noticed this and tried to bribe us to stay on the train but we were down to half a cut up watermelon and leftover change from the countries we had visited so they kicked us out at the bucharest train station. one of my friends had an emergency credit card her mother had given her but they didn't take credit card at the train station to buy tickets so we had to walk around asking businesses to charge our card and give us the cash (for a fee of course). then once we had some cash, went back to the train station, where they charged us a bribe to even get into the part of the station where they sold the tickets, and i remember standing at the counter to buy the ticket behind a glass window, and it was full of smoke because holy hell no one smokes like eastern europeans and this was waaaay before any restrictions on smoking in public places, and this woman emerged form the fog and finally deigned to sell us three tickets to vienna.

that said, from the walking around i did downtown while we were trying to get money for the tickets, it seemed very pretty, if a little run down. i'm sure it's much nicer now.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Thanks for that Sput
    sputnik likes this.

lol sorry i know it's not really relevant to your trip. is there any way you can stay longer and go visit one of dracula's alleged castles in transylvania?
    Novice likes this.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

I might be going to Transylvania for part of it but it’s mainly work.
    sputnik likes this.

I can only assume that your work involves sucking blood.
    SHELLEE, LaFolie, czb and 2 others like this.
    As Canadian as possible under the circumstances

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"What's traitors, precious?" -- President Gollum

Hahaha! I wish!

Bucharest, been there many moons ago.
    If you're going to Transylvania, you'll might as well visit Bran Castle, Bram Stoker's inspiration for Dracula.
    If you're going to Bucharest, you can visit Palace of the Parliament, which is the 2nd largest building in the world (1st is the Pentagon), ordered by then-dictator, Nicolae Ceaușescu. When you stand in front of the building and look around, you'll notice a mish mash of different architecture of the buildings around of the blocks surrounding it.
    One dish in a resto that got my throat prepping to vomit: an appetizer of chicken combs. You read right. A heaping dish of nothing but stir-fried chicken combs! My boyfriend at that time explained that in communist times, they were so poor, they ate everything on an animal, except the bones. Interesting to contrast to how I was raised in North America, we (well, our family), ate pretty much only the flesh only of an animal.
    Go Habs Go!!

Thanks mtlebay.

My family is middle European so a lot of the food from that region is familiar. I remember playing with chickens feet as a kid, pulling the tendons to make them move. I knew about the cocks combs, my aunt’s favourite dish (more of a German/Austrian one) is lung poached in milk. Waiters usually check 15 times when she ordered it to check that she *did* order it...

Pulling on tendons : Eww and wow
    Your aunt 's lung dish waiter: that's hilarious

Quote Originally Posted by mtlebay View Post
    Pulling on tendons : Eww and wow
    Your aunt 's lung dish waiter: that's hilarious
    In my defence I was 7....

My grandparents had an Austrian child after the war on an exchange. Because of what/how my Grandmother cooked (food was still being rationed but offal wasnít rationed) they ate well - family legend is she grew 4 inches in height in the time she was there.....

A friend of mine was in Bucharest three years ago as a part of an exchange program. She said it was nice, but after two days she has seen all there was to see and she was really bored.
    That being said, google says that the Christmas market starts tomorrow, so there's that! https://www.facebook.com/BucharestChristmasMarket/
    fgg and Novice like this.
    -

*love* me an Xmas market!
    I saw the program that my colleague went to in September and there are dinners & “events” so I think I might have a couple of hours on Monday & Friday morning.
    fgg likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information