• 1 Post By Beeyotch
  • 5 Post By sputnik
  • 1 Post By Beeyotch
  • 1 Post By sputnik
  • 1 Post By Beeyotch
  • 3 Post By funky_chicken

Thread: Mexico City Recommendations

Default Mexico City Recommendations

We're going to Mexico City the first week of January for Mr. B's boss's wedding. We're staying in the Roma Norte neighborhood.

Recommendations?

All I know is I want to go to the Chapultepec park, but I have no idea on specifics. We're bringing the baby, so stroller-friendly things are a plus. But also--restaurant recommendations are welcome! My mom is coming with us to help with the kid (thank jeebus!) while we go to wedding events, so we won't always be limited by his schedule.
    sputnik likes this.

i love mexico city. i'm so happy you're staying in roma norte! did you decide to go with an airbnb?
    that's my favourite part of the city.

in roma norte, check out plaza rio de janeiro. there are so many cool places around there, restaurants, bars, etc.

restaurants (most important part of your trip lol):

contramar - some of the best seafood you'll ever have. but they're only open for lunch and they get crowded so it's best to show up around 12 or 1 which is before mexicans have lunch so you'll avoid the crowds

tres galeones - taco place on jalapa (between alvaro obregón and chihuahua). best fish tacos i've had, possibly ever. and amazing michelada (i like the clamato one)

rosetta - also in roma norte, on colima (almost with orizaba). amazing restaurant in an old belle époque mansion. one of the most beautiful restaurants i've ever been in, perfect for dinner

yuban - also on colima. amazing, modern chiapaneca cuisine

azul - go to the one in condesa, not the one downtown. great selection of dishes from all of mexico in a beautiful setting. also, they have chapulines (fried grasshoppers).

for museums and general sightseeing, i recommend:

la ciudadela to buy handicrafts

bellas artes

casa barragán (you have to reserve online). barragán was a genius and his house and studio are beautifully preserved, and it's small so it will only take a couple of hours, max. it's in condesa and this is the link to reserve: CASA LUIS BARRAGÁN
    it says no children under 10 but there was a baby in a stroller when i was there so i think they're fine with babies, not so much with free range little kids walking around)

museo de antropología. must-see.

the museo tamayo and the museo de arte moderno are both nearby. all of these are in chapultepec park, which also has the castle.

chapultepec castle (in chapultepec park)

secretaría de educación - yes, it's a public government building but the hallways around the courtyards are all murals by diego rivera depicting the history of mexico and they are AMAZING. and it's the largest collection of rivera murals in mexico city
    https://mxcity.mx/2018/08/los-murale...acion-publica/

museo de arte popular (best museum shop in mexico city). this is a great one for kids and they always have big alebrijes

i would skip the museo soumaya. it's private and built by, i believe, carlos slim and though the building is cool on the outside, inside his art collection is a mess and the whole thing is a giant tourist trap. the museo jumex, which is across the street and is all contemporary art, is much better

go to the zócalo, that's the big main square in downtown mexico city where the cathedral and the ruins of the templo mayor are. the templo mayor museum is great too.

have a drink on the rooftop of the gran hotel, which is on the zócalo. worth it for the view and also the interior of the hotel is amazing, it's the one that was recently featured in the romanoffs episode that takes place in mexico city. it's got a huge stained glass ceiling.
    https://granhoteldelaciudaddemexico.com.mx/en/about-us/

hotel downtown is also great for drinks and it's full of cool little boutiques. there's also a pretty great little artisanal mezcalería in there where you can do a mezcal tasting. there's an azul restaurant in there but i would eat at the one in condesa.
    https://www.downtownmexico.com/

if you're a huuuuuge frida kahlo fan, then go to the caza azul (the museum where her old house used to be)
    https://www.museofridakahlo.org.mx/en/the-blue-house/
    i say if you're a huge fan, because i kind of hated it. you have to book tickets online because it's a huge tourist attraction and it's so crowded inside you can't really appreciate any of the stuff in there, and really they kind of gave frida the disney treatment. i know people who loved it, and people who thought it was a huge tourist trap which is kind of how i felt about it, so caveat emptor i guess.
    i liked her other house that she shared with diego rivera better, and definitely not as crowded (https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/...-y-frida-kahlo)
    Last edited by sputnik; December 20th, 2018 at 11:16 PM.
    Beeyotch, Sarzy, czb and 2 others like this.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Well holy crap, you really are a treasure trove of information! Thanks, knew I could count on you!
    Oh and yes, we found an airbnb, kid-friendly one with a crib at that.

The indian ceremony will actually be on the rooftop of the Hotel Downtown (creative name), so check! And I really hate tourist trap crowds, so that is a helpful tip on the Frida Kahlo house.

Wasn't funky chicken also in the DF a few years ago? Hope she sees this.

And even if anyone hasn't visited, but heard/seen of cool places or restaurants, I'm interested too.
    funky_chicken likes this.

you're welcome! it's one of my favourite cities in the world. i have a lot of friends there so between that and work i think i've been over 10 times in 4 years and every time i still discover new places. it's one of those cities you're never done exploring.
    Last edited by sputnik; December 20th, 2018 at 01:10 PM.
    Beeyotch likes this.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

I just realized our airbnb is right across the street from the Yuban restaurant you recommended. Sweet. And Plaza Rio de Janeiro is just a few blocks away.

Also, traveling with a baby is hard. Well, for me. He needs a nap every 3-4 hours, so can't stay out all day like I usually would traveling.
    sputnik likes this.

Oh, and it’s chirimoya season so look out for those in markets, fruit vendors, etc.
    Ugh my mouth is watering just thinking about that

Beeyotch, so cool! I'm jealous I love Mexico City as well, I made an exchange 3 years ago and visited our CDMX offices and lived at a co-worker's place, so I felt like a local for a bit. We ate and drank so much, visited so many places, I have great memories! I went back over a year ago with my husband and he loved it as well.

But I don't think there is much to add to sput's recommendations!

Restaurants:
    I double Azul. I loved that place, so beautiful! The Chapulines as well We were at the Azul Historico though, twice.
    My friends from Mexico City love Sonora Grill. There are several, the meat is really good.
    Also Contramar, but we had to go twice because the first day it was so crowded and we were so hungry we couldn't wait.
    My friends also told us that we should check out where the police officers eat - those are usually the best tacos and street vendors you'll find

And as sput already mentioned, La Ciudadela for arts and handicrafts, museo de antropología is stunning (but try not to go on a Sunday, as most - if not all - museums are for free for all Mexican residents, and it's reeeeeally crowded. And Monday's are closed). Chapultepec Castle is beautiful as well, and the views are amazing, also you have to stroll through the beautiful park (also closed on Mondays, and also for free on Sundays).

I loved the Plaza Garibaldi - dozens of Mariachis, very loud, but worth it. People will pay for the bands to play for them, and sing along with them. There was a place where we ate and drank something but I can't remember the name, I'm sorry! Just go there on an evening.

We went to see a lucha libre show, I think there are two shows, one on a Friday and one on a Tuesday. But I don't think that's something you will want to do with a toddler

I also liked the Bazar Artesanal next to the Coyacan Park.

And last but not least, if you can, go visitTeotihuacan. The pyramid of the sun is one of the largest pyramids in the world. But avoid going on a Sunday as well, it was horrible when I was there the first time, soooo many people! I went a second time, not on a Sunday, and it was so much better. There is a beautiful restaurant nearby that is in a cave. It's called La Gruta. It's touristy, yes. And I normally try to avoid this kind of places, but I liked that one because of the stunning setting and the really good food.

If you want more recommendations, just let me know I can reach out to my friends there, one of them has children as well and might have some other recommendations.
    sputnik, Beeyotch and KrisNine like this.
    -

Thank you, funky!

So far we haven't ventured out very much, mostly because Mr. B got sick with a flu/cold on the day we left for the trip. But little Jimmy is actually handling everything pretty well, had him in the stroller out for an exploratory walk yesterday.

And I have to fit into this stupid dress for the Indian ceremony Friday so I can't stuff my face the way I want to until after then!

Thread Information