Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree40Likes

Thread: Three minutes from their destination, AirBNB cancels booking coz Miss Suh is Asian

Default Three minutes from their destination, AirBNB cancels booking coz Miss Suh is Asian

irbnb host cancels Asian woman's reservation at the last minute, telling her: 'It's why we have Trump'

Dyne Suh asked why her Airbnb reservation was cancelled at the last minute, and was told: 'One word: Asian.'

8 April 2017 • 7:49pm Airbnb has banned a woman in California for listing her home on their site after she cancelled an Asian student’s booking, telling her: “This is why we have Trump.”
    Dyne Suh, a 25-year-old law student from Riverside in California, was travelling to the ski resort of Big Bear Lake with her boyfriend and two friends. Miss Suh had contacted the Airbnb host prior to their arrival to confirm the booking.
    But, three minutes from their destination, the host told Miss Suh they were no longer welcome.

"She said 'we're done' and cancelled the trip," said Miss Suh in a YouTube video, captured by a local journalist who happened to be parked next to a sobbing Miss Suh and her friends.
    In the video, accompanied by text messages showing their conversation, she explains that she asked why their booking had been cancelled.

"And she said: 'One word says it all: Asian. It's why we have Trump.' "

Miss Suh, choking back tears, said she told the host that she would report her to Airbnb.
    "We can't have foreigners telling us what to do," the host responded, according to Miss Suh.
    Miss Suh, who emigrated from South Korea when she was three, said it shows the depth of racism in the US.

Writing on Facebook after the February incident, she pointed out it was far worse for people with darker skin or Muslims.
    "It stings that after living in the US for over 23 years this is what happens," she said in the video. "No matter how well I treat others, if you're Asian you're less than human, and people can treat you like trash.

"People thought with the election of President Obama, racism is over in this country — no, it's very much alive," she said.
    "It exists, and it can happen to anyone."
    Miss Suh reported the host, who was removed from the site.
    "We have worked to provide the guest with our full support and in line with our non-discrimination policy, this host has been permanently removed from the Airbnb platform," said Airbnb in a statement, adding that the company considers the host's behaviour "abhorrent and unacceptable."
    Last year, Airbnb launched a three-month "comprehensive review," which concluded that "minorities struggle more than others to book a listing."
    Subsequently, the site implemented a new policy requiring hosts to treat all guests "with respect."
    "We believe that no matter who you are, where you are from, or where you travel, you should be able to belong in the Airbnb community," the company's new policy reads.
    Miss Suh said she hopes that telling her story will encourage others to speak out.
    “I hope the story encourages more people to come out and share their own countless experiences of being racially discriminated against, and promotes a trend of more people finding ways to keep evidence of having been discriminated against,” she wrote on Facebook

Airbnb host cancels Asian woman's reservation at the last minute, telling her: 'It's why we have Trump'
    Free Charmed.

Disgusting people. The host should be outed. If she feels so entitled to say those hateful words to another person, let her feel the full consequences of how the rest of the world really feels.

Despicable.
    Air Bnb has a super strict anti-discrimination policy, fortunately. Booked a place last month on a ranch in the middle of nowhere, and our redneck host couldn't have been nicer to me and my trans wife (he probably just saw us as two females but who knows beyond that). I can imagine how humiliating it must feel to be openly shamed for who you are. When will these useless fuckers die off.
    Santa is an elitist mother fucker -- giving expensive shit to rich kids and nothing to poor kids.

Not soon enough Manx, not soon enough. Glad your experience was positive.
    louiswinthorpe111 and yanna like this.
    Free Charmed.

I wish they could give her name. What a piece of trash

czb

kudos to air bnb.

Jfc, what is she afraid of ... Asian cooties? But honestly, I'm really not surprised with Trump in office.

I sometimes just want to put out some statement that we're really not all like this in America.
    "AND WHEN YOU BECAME DENISE, I TOLD ALL YOUR COLLEAGUES, THOSE CLOWN COMICS, TO FIX THEIR HEARTS OR DIE."

Usually, racist people are kinda okay (I said "kinda okay") with South-East Asians (especially Japanese). Not adding anything worthwhile to the conversation (what would I say except that the woman was vile trash?), just a remark in passing.

No, not true, it's just that culturally the Japanese do not make a fuss because they do not want to stand out.

And think of f all the racism against the Japanese after WWII (not that we saw it as much in Europe, but don't speak to some of the Bits about Burma....)
    czb likes this.
    Free Charmed.

^Yes, you're right. Just something I noticed with some racists. i guess it's a way of saying "look, I'm not racist after all, I don't mind Japanese people for example". Doesn't mean Asians didn't experience racism, just that some people think they'll get away with being racist arseholes because they make a show of saying that they CAN tolerate them, as opposed to people of African descent for example.

Ok.
    Free Charmed.

My last experience with air bnb was annoying and I almost refuse to use them anymore. It's not the service, per se, it was just my last experience. Two hosts who were not the easiest to deal with. One was so slow to respond and the other took our reservation, only to cancel it the next day for something better. They required a huge deposit on our cc, which they processed immediately, only to cancel us the next day because someone contacted them to rent the property for an entire month. Meanwhile, we were told that the refund to our cc would be process in 5 -7 days. Bullshit. We were so pissed.

Quote Originally Posted by ManxMouse View Post
    Despicable.
    Air Bnb has a super strict anti-discrimination policy, fortunately. Booked a place last month on a ranch in the middle of nowhere, and our redneck host couldn't have been nicer to me and my trans wife (he probably just saw us as two females but who knows beyond that). I can imagine how humiliating it must feel to be openly shamed for who you are. When will these useless fuckers die off.
    I like everything about this post, except for the fact that you chose to describe the host as a redneck. I don't think a post about wanting equal treatment should use derogatory slang to describe another person.

Redneck isn't considered derogatory by all... rednecks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information