Like Tree7Likes
  • 4 Post By Tati
  • 1 Post By faithanne
  • 2 Post By greysfang

Thread: Team builds true scale model of our solar system across 7 miles of desert

Default Team builds true scale model of our solar system across 7 miles of desert

What does the Solar System look like when it's shown exactly to scale? Thanks to this awesome video, you can now find out.

Images of our Solar System often portray the planets as near each other, however that is anything but the case. In the video, made by Alex Gorosh and Wylie Overstreet, they explain that using representations of the planets above a microscopic level requires your model to be rather huge.

"To create a scale model with an Earth only as big as [a] marble you need seven miles [11 kilometers] of empty space," explains Overstreet in the video.

So, to do just that, the team ventured out to Black Rock Desert in Nevada. They marked out the orbits of the eight major planets around the Sun, and then created a time-lapse by driving lights around the orbits.

The result is a rather fantastic idea of what the Solar System looks like true to scale. And it highlights just how much vast, empty space there is between everything, and how small our planet really is in the grand scheme of things.

Check out the video below.

I Fucking Love Science
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

I love cool facts like
    "To create a scale model with an Earth only as big as [a] marble you need seven miles [11 kilometers] of empty space," explains Overstreet in the video.
    Thats the kind of shit we used to drop when we were sitting around passing the bong and then we'd look at the stars for hours going "fuuuuuuck".
    A*O likes this.
    "You're going to die tomorrow, Lord Bolton. Sleep well."

Cool video.
    "The wild, cruel beast is not behind the bars of the cage. He is in front of it."...Axel Munthe

A*O

We are verrrrry tiny aren't we? Gives me vertigo.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Quote Originally Posted by faithanne View Post
    I love cool facts like
    Thats the kind of shit we used to drop when we were sitting around passing the bong and then we'd look at the stars for hours going "fuuuuuuck".

So last weekend then?
    missbazilb and faithanne like this.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

It reminded me of this: https://vimeo.com/117815404

Riding Light

In our terrestrial view of things, the speed of light seems incredibly fast. But as soon as you view it against the vast distances of the universe, it's unfortunately very slow. This animation illustrates, in realtime, the journey of a photon of light emitted from the surface of the sun and traveling across a portion of the solar system, from a human perspective.

I've taken liberties with certain things like the alignment of planets and asteroids, as well as ignoring the laws of relativity concerning what a photon actually "sees" or how time is experienced at the speed of light, but overall I've kept the size and distances of all the objects as accurate as possible. I also decided to end the animation just past Jupiter as I wanted to keep the running length below an hour.

Thread Information