Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Tips on finding cheapest possible flights?

Default Tips on finding cheapest possible flights?

We started planning our next family vacation while we were still on our last vacation. We're going to figure out our frequent flyer miles but I know there are tricks to finding cheap flights. Anyone have suggestions?

We could fly out of Chicago or Omaha and would fly into St. Thomas (staying on a different island though). Our dates are very flexible but we're looking at June or July, which is low season for the Caribbean.

A*O

Dozens of cheapo flight sites online. Book midweek, deffo not Fri or weekends. Check carefully for hidden extra costs in the small print. Be prepared to sit separately if necessary. Tix will almost certainly be inflexible "use it or lose it".
    I'mNotBitter likes this.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

czb

another thought is that some credit cards offer 'points' (not the same as miles for credit that some airlines give out to loyal customers) and these points can be used to pay down the cost of a ticket. in our case, we were going to book 4 tickets @800 each. the points program on our credit card had so many unused points that we paid with the points to drive down the cost of a ticket. so then we just ended up paying ~800 altogether, instead of 3200. and we did not have use any of the miles in our mileage plus program to do this.

Yeah, I've been checking into the cheap flights thing myself. I have two trips to make, one to Florida in December because my youngest was invited to the All American Bowl, and then probably next spring going to visit my oldest in Hawaii.

I think I'm going to save my travel points to upgrade hubby and my son to 1st class because they're both too tall to be in those cramped seats for that long of a flight. I guess my hubby is used to it because he travels a great deal for work, but my 16yo isn't. I don't care about me, I'm short and have no problems in coach.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

czb

^^^ or instead of 1st class you can go for the mileage +/comfort seats (or whatever they call them on your carrier). mr czb is tall as well and is more comfortable in the roomier seats in coach.

A*O

Danger! once you've flown at the pointy end you will NEVER want Coach again.
    Dame Edna Everage

I've read that it's beneficiary to browse for ticket prices while in a private window. I don't know if it works but many swear by it. Something about how the sites that sell plane tickets recognize your computer if you use your regular browser and give you higher prices while if you use private browsing you get lower ones. Like I said, I didn't notice it but it won't hurt I guess. People also say buy them at 3pm on Tuesday, but once again I did not see a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by C_is_for_Cookie View Post
    I've read that it's beneficiary to browse for ticket prices while in a private window. I don't know if it works but many swear by it. Something about how the sites that sell plane tickets recognize your computer if you use your regular browser and give you higher prices while if you use private browsing you get lower ones. Like I said, I didn't notice it but it won't hurt I guess. People also say buy them at 3pm on Tuesday, but once again I did not see a difference.
    Clear your cookies or better yet, browse in incognito mode.
    kasippu likes this.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits."

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    Danger! once you've flown at the pointy end you will NEVER want Coach again.
    So true, I almost cried when my husband's company paid for his first class ticket, but my flight is sold out.
    Now we have a toddler so unless I want to be the most hated person on the flight I'm stuck in coach with a toddler and giant husband

I'll check into our credit card rewards. One of ours earns points.

I've tried all of the cheap travel sites but they all make you put in specific dates. IS there a way to look if your dates are flexible?

A*O

I don't think so. That's why the tix are cheap. If you want flexibility you have to pay for it.
    Dame Edna Everage

No I mean that we can be flexible. We can fly out or cone back any day for two months. Is there a way to see if a certain airline has cheaper prices on Tuesdays vs Wednedsay for instance?

I think the only way to do that is through an agent, which will also negate the cheapness. I know if you sign up for places like orbitz or travelocity, they will send emails when fares go down.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Momondo and Kayak are also good for cheap flights I've found
    I'mNotBitter likes this.
    Ain't nothing wrong with Ohio wang! - MontanaMama

Look for an option that shows flexible dates. I use kayak and it will give you prices for different days during the week.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information