Like Tree6Likes
  • 2 Post By Brookie
  • 1 Post By Sleuth
  • 2 Post By sputnik
  • 1 Post By Heidi Ho

Thread: Japan's gigantic phallus festival

Default Japan's gigantic phallus festival

Itís a sight that draws giggles and curious stares from tourists and other first-timers Ė an unusual festival where revellers carry gigantic phalluses through the streets of a Japanese city.
    But for the residents of Kawasaki, who lug erotic shapes of all different sizes, this odd tradition is not a joke.
    Shinto Kanamara Matsuri started as a small tradition but has grown into a popular a tourist attraction, with participants praying to a god of fertility, child birth and protection from sexually transmitted infections.

Participants carry a gigantic phallus through the streets of Kawasaki, Japan during the Shinto Kanamara Matsuri festival

The sight of three large phalluses being paraded through neighbourhoods in the city south of Tokyo draws giggles from tourists

Known as the Festival of the Steel Phallus, it is held every spring at the phallus-shaped Kanayama Shrine.
    Festivalgoers parade through the streets with three giant phalluses, while spectators lick lollies or snack on sausages or vegetables shaped as male and female genitalia.
    Rainy weather didnít ruin the mood at this yearís festival, which had a massive collection of foreigners, according to Japanese website RocketNews24.
    They watched as groups of locals carried three heavy phalluses modelled after a mikoshi portable shrine, which is commonly used in Shinto festivals.

+1
    Participants pray to a god who is said to help with fertility, child birth and protection from sexually transmitted infections

Spectators can buy lollies, sausages and vegetables shaped as male and female genitalia while watching the unusual parade

The three mikoshi carried through the streets for hours are the Kanamara Boat Mikoshi (tall and black), the Elizabeth Mikoshi (big and pink) and the Kanamara Big Mikoshi (squat and wooden), RocketNews24 reported.
    In addition to the parade there are performances and music, and the festival itself raises money and awareness for HIV research.
    The festival started nearly 40 years ago, and the Kanayama Shrine was once a popular place for prostitutes to pray for protection from sexually transmitted infections.
    Today, people visit the shrine to pray for everything from fertility and business prosperity to wedded bliss and good health.

In addition to the parade there are performances and music, and the festival itself raises money and awareness for HIV research

The Kanayama Shrine was once a popular place for prostitutes to pray for protection from sexually transmitted infections

+12
    Today, people visit the shrine to pray for everything from fertility and business prosperity to wedded bliss and good health

• SHARE PICTUREGroups of locals carried three heavy phalluses modelled after a mikoshi portable shrine, which is commonly used in Shinto festivals

Read more: Giant phalluses carried through Kawasaki City, Japan for Kanamara Matsuri festival | Daily Mail Online
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

That's pretty awesome.
    See, Whores, we are good for something. Love, Florida
    #fingersinthebootyassbitch

Buncha stiffs.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

Holy condoms, this looks so fun.

Meryl doesn't even try anymore. She just calls Lanvin and asks for curtains with a belt.~Bitter
    Can we interest you in Leann Rimes? She has a nice little cadre of fans you'd probably enjoy.~ Pecan Pie

Ever feel like you are surrounded by a bunch of dicks...
    darksithbunny likes this.
    Alicia Silverstone: "I think that the film Clueless was very deep. I think it was deep in the way that it was very light. I think lightness has to come from a very deep place if it's true lightness."

Quote Originally Posted by Sleuth View Post
    Ever feel like you are surrounded by a bunch of dicks...
    no, but

BelledeJour and Sleuth like this.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

with participants praying to a god of fertility, child birth and protection from sexually transmitted infections.
    They better pray to the gods of fertility: their birth rate is 208 out of 224 countries.

It's not a fertility issue. Married couples choose to not have children because, for one thing, most live in apartments and don't want to raise kids in a small living space. Unless, they're lucky to have parents who own a house and the young couple live there.

Hit By Ban Bus!

I really like dick so I'm terribly sad I missed this event.
    MohandasKGanja likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by ikmccall View Post
    It's not a fertility issue. Married couples choose to not have children because, for one thing, most live in apartments and don't want to raise kids in a small living space. Unless, they're lucky to have parents who own a house and the young couple live there.
    Thanks for the correction. I had conflated a cultural situation with fertility rate. Maybe they need to pray to the real estate and daycare gods?

By the way, I have a Japanese SIL with a brother who still lives in Japan. He actually has three kids - which is almost like the Duggars by Japanese standards. Apparently, the Japanese government was giving financial incentives to families with children. But she said because of budget problems they withdrew the incentives about 5 years ago, leaving a lot of people in the lurch.

Plus, more Japanese women are choosing to not get married. If they can earn enough money to support themselves, they're less inclined to put up with a lot of the BS that goes along with marrying a Japanese man. (Not to generalize)

Quote Originally Posted by ikmccall View Post
    Plus, more Japanese women are choosing to not get married. If they can earn enough money to support themselves, they're less inclined to put up with a lot of the BS that goes along with marrying a Japanese man. (Not to generalize)
    I've read that a lot of Japanese moms treat their sons like young princes, and that some of these guys spend all day in their rooms playing video games. They become maladjusted and definitely do not come across as good prospects for women. There was a coin termed by a Japanese sociologist - "parasitic singles" in reference to adult children living at home, not having their own children and not contributing much to the economy.

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    I've read that a lot of Japanese moms treat their sons like young princes, and that some of these guys spend all day in their rooms playing video games. They become maladjusted and definitely do not come across as good prospects for women. There was a coin termed by a Japanese sociologist - "parasitic singles" in reference to adult children living at home, not having their own children and not contributing much to the economy.
    My mother was Japanese and I have an older brother and that's exactly how she treated him.

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

I think we have a close rival for Aintree as a potential GR convention location. We may have trouble convincing some of the members to get on the plane home though...
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. Hunter S Thompson

How big would a T-Rex wang be?! - Karistiona

Thread Information