Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Help with a French translation and Airbnb tips

Default Help with a French translation and Airbnb tips

I was wondering if anyone could give me a hand with translating some Airbnb "house rules" into French. I've got a start from my husband and me with a little Google Translate thrown in but I may be missing or unaware of some colloquialisms (really not sure about "baseboard heaters" or if I should find a simpler way to say "please feel free to..."). Also what would be the most common way to say "we recommend the following local restaurants..."?

We're looking for Parisian French even though our area is Acadian, as we get a lot of guests from France, Germany, Belgium and elsewhere in Europe. We've always gotten by verbally but are looking to print up a wee sheet for guests' reference. If anyone could have a glance it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

• La maison dispose de plinthes chauffantes électriques; vous pouvez ajuster la chaleur avec les thermostats dans chaque chambre.

• S’il vous plaît sentir libre d'utiliser la véranda et l’arrière-cour, mais pas le garage ou d'autres bâtiments.

• Tout à l'étage principal de la maison est réservé à l'usage des invités, s’il vous plaît ne hésitez pas à utiliser toute et tous les éléments dans les armoires, réfrigérateur / congélateur, etc. Tous les aliments, condiments, café, thé, articles de toilette, bougies, etc. sont là pour vous! Des couvertures et de la literie supplémentaires peuvent être trouvés dans les placards des chambres. Tous les livres, jeux et jouets sont fournis pour votre plaisir aussi.

• Vous êtes invités à jouer de la musique ou d'avoir une petite quantité de visiteurs, mais s’il vous plaît être conscient du bruit parce que l'appartement à l'étage peut être occupé par d'autres invités.

• Service de blanchisserie est dans la maison et à votre disposition; s’il vous plaît noter que la salle de lavage peut également être accessible par invités de l'unité à l'étage.

• La propriété comprend une cabane rustique qui peut accueillir deux personnes supplémentaires si vous avez un grand parti, et cela peut être réservé pour un montant supplémentaire de 30 $ par nuit.
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

Maybe you could add some bons in there. I think they like bon.
    Kittylady likes this.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

sucking on a blow pop and playing with electrodes

Paging La Folie!!!!!!
    KILLING ME WON'T BRING BACK YOUR GOD DAMNED HONEY!!!!!!!!!!

Come on, let's have lots of drinks.

Fuck you all, I'm going viral.

hey tati, there wasn't much to change but i made a few edits:

• La maison dispose de plinthes chauffantes électriques; chaque chambre dispose d'un thermostat pour régler la température.

• Vous pouvez en toute liberté utiliser la véranda et l’arrière-cour mais pas le garage ou les autres bâtiments.

• Tout l'étage principal de la maison est réservé à l'usage des invités, s’il vous plaît n'hésitez pas à vous servir de tout ce qui se trouve dans les armoires, réfrigérateur/congélateur, etc. Tous les aliments, condiments, café, thé, articles de toilette, bougies, etc. sont là pour vous! Vous trouverez des couvertures et de la literie supplémentaires dans les placards des chambres. Tous les livres, jeux et jouets sont également à votre disposition.

• Vous pouvez écouter de la musique ou recevoir un petit nombre d'invités, en faisant attention à ne pas faire trop de bruit car il se peut que l'appartement à l'étage soit occupé.

• La maison dispose d'une machine à laver et d'un sèche-linge qui sont à votre disposition; s’il vous plaît prenez note que la buanderie est également accessible par les invités de l'unité à l'étage.

• Pour les grands groupes, la propriété inclut également une cabane rustique qui peut accueillir deux personnes supplémentaires et qui peut être réservée pour un montant supplémentaire de 30$ par nuit.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Quote Originally Posted by Just Kill Me View Post
    Paging La Folie!!!!!!

Too late . Well, I'll have a looksee, but sput's mother tongue is French.

eta: parfait, but that's hardly étonnant
    sputnik likes this.

Ah, oui! Much better, thank you!
    sputnik likes this.
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

Tati,you write nothing about hair dryer and coffee machine,you need to write it.I know most people check for them.
    sputnik likes this.
    "Effie is all kinds of awesome." - Some internet moderator

^^
    that's true. if i'm staying in a place with a kitchen, i usually pack coffee and my little moka pot just in case because places rarely mention them.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

You're right, and that brings me to my next project, which is to translate the entire listing into French as well. This was just what they call the "House Manual", which is only released to confirmed guests with a definite booking (it includes things like our phone numbers and the WiFi password, and restaurant recommendations as well). We'll also make it a print-out that we leave in a binder. It's like... those things that people always want to ask once they've actually booked and arrived.

I would like to get the whole thing into French before spring. For now, our listings at least have photos of everything including things like the coffee maker, the teas, the toiletries basket, the board games basket, the spice rack, etc. There actually isn't a hair dryer, thanks for the suggestion!

- Kahlil Gibran

also check the power supply,dont know if the euro chargers work there.I get one everytime i am in London just to make sure i can charge my phone.
    "Effie is all kinds of awesome." - Some internet moderator

A*O

My French used to be pretty good but years of neglect mean it's very rusty now but I still understand sput's translation. Yay.

I'm a short term/holiday furnished apartment landlord Tati so I might have some useful hints and tips.

A hair dryer is essential. A cheapo from Walmart is fine. They do sometimes "disappear" but it's rare.

Do not leave anything valuable or precious to you. People aren't generally dishonest or careless but accidents do happen. Either remove completely or put in a firmly locked room or closet.

Explain not only local electricity voltage (I assume 110v?) but also tell guests they may need the relevant plug adaptor - each country is different.

Leave instructions for TV remote control(s), washer/dryer, cooktop/oven if it's even slightly complicated. Never underestimate how clueless some people are.

Ask them to turn appliances, lights, TV etc OFF when they go out. You'd be amazed how many people leave everything on, especially if you are paying the electricity bills.

Politely remind them to be respectful of their neighbours peace and privacy, including keeping rowdy kids under control.

Specify whether you allow pets or not. In my experience kids can be way more destructive than animals!

Check your insurance - liability, building and contents.

The place must be spotlessly, operating theatre clean. People notice if it isn't.

Most guests are very easy to please and will treat your place with care and respect. But there will always be assholes out there who just love to nitpick and bitch about stupid stuff so don't take any complaints personally.

If you find the place is being used as a meth lab as we did (twice) call the cops.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Thanks! We've actually been doing this for a while but this will be our first try at renting out the lower floor (so a full two-bedroom plus den and such) of our old house. We've let out a wee rustic bunkie for almost two years now and an upper floor one-bedroom for about a year.

We never had a manual or really any "house rules" before now, but on reading other people's Airbnb listings I noticed hosts were putting a lot of things out there that I would have thought were rather strict, almost bordering on rude, but then they seemed to have these really stellar reviews. We started wondering if there was some psychology of power going on there; like if you make it seem like you don't really need their business... well... People are saying things like, "This is my HOME, please leave it as you found it!" and then folks are raving about them...

Turning off lights is a good one to add; I realize I also forgot to mention smoking (no in the house, fine on the deck). Instructions for the appliances, also good - one recent family in the upstairs unit actually had a lot of questions about the stove (electric). Pets are mentioned in the main listing, our wish is just that they "inquire about pets" in advance. We don't really have an issue with them. We've actually never had anyone ask about voltage, although one lady did wonder about mobile service and I had a hell of a time finding the answer.

The whole house is basically an Airbnb site now, so nothing of ours is left in it; we furnished it from scratch and I've put some books and board games that we had duplicates of or from the thrift store over there. We will need to lock off the basement access now that people will be accessing the main floor. There's nothing precious down there but that's where all the utilities are and there are probably some potential liability issues with a rough, unfinished space.

What do you guys think about entertainment options? We provide high-speed internet but as yet don't offer a TV in any of the units (no one has ever actually asked, miraculously). I was thinking about moving a record player and records over there for a bit of quirky charm, and people could use it if they felt comfortable doing so. But it seems like everyone travels with laptops and cell phones, so I don't know if we really need to provide much beyond the connectivity? We do play up the yard/river/outside space/country living in the city aspect quite a bit in our listings.

Thanks!

- Kahlil Gibran

i'm guessing most of the people who rent out the units are on vacation and spend most of their time outdoors anyway so probably wouldn't have much use for a tv. and people who do want to watch something can always do it on their laptops/ipads so i'd say that as long as you're providing internet, you're fine. maybe you should specify that there's no tv so that people who think it's a given that there's a tv and want one, won't be disappointed.

keep in mind, this is coming from someone who hasn't had a tv since october and is fine with that. and even when i did have one, i only used apple tv. so maybe get some opinions from people who watch tv more often.

i'm way more impressed if i check into a place and there's an espresso machine and a good, high-power hair dryer.
    effie2 likes this.

A*O

We provide a flat screen TV in the living room (not bedrooms) with a DVD player and a limited cable package (kiddie channels, a few movie and sport). Internet, high speed or otherwise is pretty much essential IMO.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

You need a TV in a holiday rental here because old people (like me) stay indoors during the hottest part of the day and do all our outdoorsy stuff before 11.00 am and after 3.00 pm. Summer holidays = watching cricket so you need to accommodate for us bogans who love the greatest game of all.
    A*O likes this.
    "You're going to die tomorrow, Lord Bolton. Sleep well."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information