• 2 Post By sputnik
  • 1 Post By BoogsBun
  • 1 Post By BelledeJour
  • 1 Post By sputnik
  • 1 Post By fgg

Thread: Munich & Vienna in March 2015

fgg

Default Munich & Vienna in March 2015

my husband and i are going on a cheap, quick gate1 trip to munich and vienna (3 nights in each city) in early march. the hotels are included with the cost of the trip so we really just need to figure out what to see, where to eat and what else to do.

http://www.gate1travel.com/

anybody have any ideas to throw our way? we just booked it yesterday and have started researching but there's nothing like getting input from people who have been already.

thanks!
    can't post pics because my computer's broken and i'm stupid

I lived in vienna so I'll have plenty of suggestions but it's 5:44 am and I'm at the airport waiting to board and nursing my second epic hangover of 2015 so will post as soon as my brain and body are functioning.
    Brookie and nwgirl like this.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

fgg

awesome, thanks! don't forget about me once your hangover is gone...which i hope by now it is!

hi! hangover gone, along with a considerable amount of brain cells, i'm sure. and no, haven't forgotten. will make you a list of places i love in vienna, far more than you'll have a chance to see in 3 days but you can choose the ones that sound best to you. the hotel listed on the website is in the 17th district so not super central but central enough that it will be easy to get around as long as you're not scared to take streetcars and subways (and you shouldn't be, public transportation is super easy in vienna). i'll work on the list and post when done.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

fgg

we are staying at the Leondardo...not sure which hotel you were looking at because there are 2 lodging options. THANKS!!

ah ok, the one i saw was called something else and it's in the 17th. don't know the leonardo but google maps tells me it's in the 6th, so close to one of the train stations and to the mariahilferstrasse, which is a big shopping street. it's a pretty nice location and easily accessible.

fgg

sput! you never gave me any suggestions!

trip is rapidly approaching so any restaurants or places to go would be greatly appreciated.

Fuuuuuck, sorry about that. Tonight or tomorrow, I promise.

Elite Member

I only have one suggestion....take me with you.
    Novice likes this.

fgg

LOL! our suitcases won't accommodate anything else...sorry!

Elite Member

Bring me back some chocolate at least..lol.

I really liked this one: Restaurant Jonathan & Sieglinde It is a restaurant where it is mainly about potatos and apples.
    Museumsquartier has also nice restaurants.

Oh, don't forget to drink "G'spritzer" it is wine (either red or white) with sparkling water.

Also, tipping in Austria is really important (if something costs f.ex. 2,80€ make 3€) - so even though the waiter might be unfriendly, he becomes even unfriendlier (Viennese people are not known for their friendliness so don't take it personal)

The whole 4 years I was living there, I tried to avoid the U6 - it is "dirty" and somehow also unsafe (because of the people).
    sputnik likes this.

^^^^
    yes, to G'spritz. especially with white wine. also, have an Almdudler. It's kind of like the austrian ginger ale, except more elderflower than ginger. and it's fucking delicious.

how many full days do you have in vienna?

first, you need a map. vienna is organised by "Bezirk" (Bezirke in plural) or districts in English, starting from the 1st district which forms the middle, and the other districts are laid out in a sort of circle out and around the 1st district. There's a first Ring, right around the 1st district and an outer ring called the Gurtel around the second set of districts. Not unlike Paris and it's arrondissements.

if you have only 2-3 days in vienna, focus on the inner districts. the 1st district is the one with most of the "big" sights. you have to see Stephensdom (St. Stephan), the cathedral. the Graben (one of the most famous streets in the 1st district, right off the Stephansplatz), Judenplatz, Peterskirche (St. Peter's Church) also in the first district, much smaller and less showy than St. Stephen's on the outside but inside it's Baroque jewel and simply spectacular (I used to live about half a block away when I lived there with my parents). Get a good map and just walk around.
    The Hofburg (imperial palace) and take the tour (if you still have to take it, last time I was there you couldn't just go by yourself and had to take the fucking tour but at least it's short). Do that instead of the Schönbrunn which is further out and the tour is hours long and boring.

Go to the opera. Ask your hotel to find you cheaper tickets. Or, if you're more of a classical music fan, go to the Musikverein.

go see The Third Man. The most famous movie about Vienna, by Orson Welles. it's been playing at the Burg Kino (Opernring 19. BURG KINO Wien - Original Versions) since it came out, there's at least one screening every day.

Naschmarkt - it's the big flea and food market in the 4th district. You have to go. Plus, it's surrounded on both sides by beautiful buildings, including some great examples of Viennese Art Nouveau (or Secession style)

Secession building (Friedrichstraße 12, A-1010 Wien). There are always great art exhibits but you can also skip that and see the permanent collection which includes an incredible frieze by Gustav Klimt.

Museumsquartier
    - the whole area is amazing. It's a complex of museums built inside what were once the Hapsburg Imperial stables. if you only have time for one museum, go to the Leopold, it's incredible. MuseumsQuartier Wien: www.mqw.at

The Belvedere. Gorgeous palace and museum. Has an incredible collection of Schieles and Klimts and other incredible and lesser known Austrian art.

I'll think of more.

Now, for cafés, or the other reason to visit Vienna. Here are my favourites:

Café Prűckel - across the street from the MAK (applied arts museum, also fabulous but if you only have 3 days, that might not be enough, although if you have any interest in Austrian design - the Wiener Werkstätte and Hoffmann and all that, then go). A big, light-filled café that is still exactly the same as it always was, great for people watching and the coffee and desserts are amazing. Stubenring 24, 1010 Wien, Austria

Café Hawelka. Dark, decadent, classic Vienna café. Used to be run by a super old couple but when I was back in Vienna in December, I was told they'd (finally) died. Dorotheergasse 6, 1010 Wien, Austria.

Café Bräunerhof. Was Thomas Bernhard's favourite café. Also a Vienna classic. The waiters still wear tails, and a couple of afternoons a week they have a string quartet come in and perform. Stallburggasse 2, 1010 Wien, Austria
    Café Korb. Was across the street from my old apartment. Run by a wonderful (and crazy) woman who celebrated the café's 100 year anniversary by dressing up like a Viennese Queen of Hearts and having an army of hot guys carry her around the city, throwing flowers and candy at the crowd, before circling back to the café where there was a party and everyone got free drinks. It's in the 1st district, at the entrance of one of the little streets that leads to Petersplatz, where the Peterskirche is. Brandstätte 9, 1010 Wien, Austria

DON'T go to Café Griensteidl or Café Central, they're huge tourist traps. Same with the café at the Sacher Hotel (of the famous cake) and the Demel.

Now for food:

If you want to splurge on one nice, fancy dinner, go to Plachutta (and order the Tapfelspitz). Wollzeile 38, 1010 Vienna

Brezl Gwölb. One of my favourite restaurants in Vienna. It's tiny, ancient and when you walk in you feel like you've stepped back in time. By at least a few centuries. Brezl Gwölb - Das Restaurant Have the Viennese Goulasch or any of their many local specialties. Ledererhof 9, 1010 Wien, Austria

Steiereck. (Am Heumarkt 2a, 1030 Vienna)

Fadinger - Wipplingerstrasse 29, 1010 Vienna. Very creative and original takes on classic Viennese cuisine.

Korso - inside the Bristol Hotel

Meinl am Graben. One of the few remaining Julius Meinl supermarkets. The Graben one is a super posh food shop in case you want to buy stuff to take back with you (great gifts) but there are also cafés inside, it's a great place for a glass of wine and oysters, etc.

Any of the restaurants inside the Museumsquartier. They're all great.

Naschmarkt - so many food stands. Have a proper kebab (döner). They're so much better in Europe than in North America. Have a Kartoffelpuffer (Viennese street food, they're fried potato wedges/slices, plain or with garlic - have the garlic). Have a street sausage.

Eissalon Tuchlauben - for the best ice cream you've ever had. Go to the original on Tuchlauben (the street where I used to live!) just off the north end of the Graben in the first district) but I think there's a satellite location close to the opera as well). Ask for their special ice cream that isn't on the menu and that they keep in a special drawer, although my favourite is the topfen (something you won't find outside of vienna, it's a sort of cream cheese/mascarpone/quark variant but unlike anything you've ever tried before). Tuchlauben 15, 1010 Wien
    BelledeJour likes this.

fgg

thank you! i will go through all of this tonight and make a list!
    sputnik likes this.

Saving Sput's list. I need to go to Vienna.

FGG - how did the trip go?
    Free Charmed.

Thread Information