Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Recommendations for Ireland trip?

Default Recommendations for Ireland trip?

Hey guys! Going to England, Wales, and Ireland at the end of next month. Neither the husband nor I have ever been to Ireland, and the tentative plan is to take the ferry from Holyhead to Dublin & stay about 3 full (?) days. We're open to jumping off from Dublin and doing whatever is realistically do-able --- we'll have our 4-year old with us. Any insights? Would whale/marine life watching in Cork be worthwhile in late August? Any other recs, raves, tips, advice, etc., for Dublin or anywhere else on the isle?
    Thanks in advance!!
    Santa is an elitist mother fucker -- giving expensive shit to rich kids and nothing to poor kids.

I'm a museum nerd and I thought both the National Museum and the Viking museum were fascinating. But maybe not for a four year old. Dublin does have a zoo.
    ManxMouse likes this.

I know nothing but I just want to say how jealous I am!!! Take moar pics!!!
    ManxMouse likes this.
    I am going to come and burn the fucking house down... but you will blow me first."

I love Ireland! I spent my Jr. year of college there and seriously loved every minute! As far as with a 4 year old though...best not bring them to the local pub. The museums I went to there - in Dublin and elsewhere - weren't really kid friendly, as most museums aren't particularly kid friendly. Temple Bar in Dublin is fun, lost of bars and shops. You can go to St Stephen's Green to them the kid run around. Cork is about 3 hours away (I could very well be wrong, sorry) and I'm not sure about the marine life there. I had friends who lived in Lahinch, Co Ennis and it was just lovely there. You can also go to the Cliffs of Mohr which is relatively near by (I'm from OR so driving 3-4 hours isn't terrible).
    ikmccall and ManxMouse like this.

Can you expound on not taking the kid to a local pub? My husband is half English half Scot, and says people take their kids to pubs in the U.K. all the time, it's common and accepted as a family place, unlike bars in the U.S.....is the culture in Ireland different? Not doubting, just wanted to clarify.
    Santa is an elitist mother fucker -- giving expensive shit to rich kids and nothing to poor kids.

Shoot, it's been 12 years since I was there, so I could be way off base. I do recall seeing kids running around a pub on a weekend, once. I was usually in the pub late night, so I don't have the best idea of daytime pub happenings. I mostly meant that as a joke. Ireland is seriously gorgeous and I'm sure you will have a great time. There are tons of ruins to see and explore. Play that angle up with the kid and he might love going to see one.
    ManxMouse likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by ManxMouse View Post
    Can you expound on not taking the kid to a local pub? My husband is half English half Scot, and says people take their kids to pubs in the U.K. all the time, it's common and accepted as a family place, unlike bars in the U.S.....is the culture in Ireland different? Not doubting, just wanted to clarify.
    I am SO SO jealous. I asked my cousin in Ireland about kids in pubs. It's totally legal for your little guy to enter a pub but he cannot stay beyond 10pm during the summer. If the pub serves food after 10pm your family is welcome to stay beyond the curfew as long as you have food on your table.

However, the bartender reserves the right to ask you all to leave if s/he feels the environment may be harmful to your child, ex. rowdy crowds, etc.

ETA: He said it's not uncommon for children to be at early "sessions" at the pub but rare to see them beyond the curfew anymore as it's pretty strictly enforced.
    ManxMouse likes this.

Drive or get a coach up the Wicklow Mountains and have dinner at Johnny Foxes. You might have to book. Head to Sandymount for a nice beach and little village to hang out around for a sunny afternoon. The dart also heads out along the coast towards Wicklow. Bray has a nice beach and coffee shops etc too but Sandymount tends to be less busy as it's smaller. If you can hire a car, head to Meath and try the Hill of Tara - four year might not appreciate it though! There's also Slane castle. For more historical interest, head to O'Connell St and see the GPO. You can also walk up from there to Trinity college and see the Book of Kells. As someone suggested before, this is really near to St Stephen's Green which is a nice park to let kidlet run around in. Alternatively, head to Phoenix Park which is bigger, has a zoo and is near the Guinness factory. Avoid Temple Bar like the plague. Camden St has nice pubs that aren't tourist traps. You can also get a bus from the Busarus to Belfast which might be fun to do for a day. Croke Park should have some GAA fixtures on so you could catch a game. Dublin is tiny and it's really fun just to walk around and hang out.
    ManxMouse and ikmccall like this.
    Rest in Peace my beautiful little Bonnie

07/01/92 - 12/03/09

Oh, thanks for asking, appreciate it....I have zero intention of taking him in there at nighttime, I was thinking more like an afternoon pint or three with lunch, Sunday roast, etc. If the kid isn't in bed by 9 or 10, I lose my sanity anyway. We're resigned that this trip won't entail late night pub crawls and such.

ETA: thanks for all the suggestions, roslyntaberfan! We'll have a car rental I'm sure, so will look into that. And Croke Park is being mentioned by a lot of people, so will see if we can catch a match.

Forgot to say, the crossing from Holyhead to Dun Laoghaire can be quite choppy! Just a heads-up.
    ManxMouse likes this.
    Rest in Peace my beautiful little Bonnie

07/01/92 - 12/03/09

^^^ Got my grape-flavored Dramamine, b/c we are taking the swift ferry back across to Wales.

So, we decided to be a bit less ambitious because this trip already involves so much travel. Think we're just going to tool around Dublin and then take day trips to Dalkey/Dalkey Island, and possibly Powerscourt. If we make it back to Eire on future trips, Galway and more of the wild natural beauty will certainly be on our agenda.

Elite Member

I don't know if you have left yet or not. I just have one request...drink a REAL Guinness for me. Sure it tastes all burnt and shit, but it has such a nice, creamy head. That's the main reason I love Guinness, the fucking head.

^ I agree about the head (tee hee), but I have to admit I hate Guinness. It's just so bitter to me. Jameson's on the other hand....

everyone says we should do the Guinness tour, we shall see, but in any case, I'm sure I won't completely escape the brown death while I'm there.

Silver Member

guinness storehouse is worth a trip, usually there will be offers if you do the hop on hop off bus tours - the tours are a good way to see the city imo

I really liked the Guinness museum. Not sure the kid will like it very much though. And Galway is definitely recommended, I thought it was gorgeous but it might be best to be at a different trip since it is a bit far. Better just focus on Dublin.
    ikmccall likes this.
    What if Superman is psychotic and everyone can see that he's Clark Kent but they just play along not to set him off?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information