• 1 Post By Tati
  • 1 Post By Jana
  • 1 Post By BITTER
  • 1 Post By sputnik
  • 1 Post By BITTER
  • 3 Post By sputnik

Thread: Nova Scotia - need travel tips, please

Default Nova Scotia - need travel tips, please

Who's been to the Martimes? I'm going to Ottawa to visit family and my best friend and her husbgand and son (my godson) are also coming, and we're taking a trip out east and I'm thinking Nova Scotia is the easiest for flights, etc. (we'd be leaving from Montreal). Any travel tips other than Peggy's Cove? I've never been and know nothing about it, despite living in Canada for like half my life.

We have about 5-6 days (well 4 full days and then the days we're traveling that are only partial).
    I imagine we'll need to rent a car?
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

I don't know that much about Nova Scotia yet, but I could ask my brother in law for some recommendations. I do like Halifax for a city vacation, of course.

I will say that Moncton may be just as easy for flights. They do call us the Hub City for a reason. From here you can hop over to PEI as well.

I do think you'll want to rent a car. When are you planning on traveling?
    sputnik likes this.
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

Cape Breton Island is gorgeous, if you end up going to Nova Scotia. A car rental would be easiest to get around.
    sputnik likes this.

I liked Halifax - cute little city.
    sputnik likes this.
    Good luck getting a cat to do anything let alone join in on your sexcapades. - Air Quotes

thanks, guys.

yes, we're definitely renting a car. we'd be flying from montreal. my friends are in canada for 12 days (so 10 really, if you exclude the 2 days they're traveling) and they want to see montreal and québec too so we're thinking they'll do that the last five days and we'd do nova scotia from the 20th to the 25th of july, arriving the morning of the 20th and leaving the evening of the 25th so we have 5-6 days, which means we have to stick to one province rather than doing NB-PEI-NS which I would do if we had, say, 10 days or 2 weeks. I chose NS because i figured if you had to pick one, it sounded like the obvious choice but like i said, i know nothing about the area.

i was thinking with the time we have, we'd have time to do halifax/peggy's cove, cape breton island, maybe the bay of fundy. not sure what order. probably halifay/peggy's cove - bay of funy - cape breton.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Bronze Member

If you are landing in Halifax it's only an hour or so to Peggy's Cove, then maybe another hour or so to Lunenburg and the Mahone Bay area. You could actually loop around the outside of the province using different scenic routes, but if you went cross country from Lunenburg to perhaps Digby (I think there is still whale watching there), then traveled along to Annapolis Royal there is Port Royal there if you're interested in History. Grand Pre (the Acadian site) is further on traveling along the coast (about 2 hours), then an hour from there back to Halifax.

thanks everyone!
    we leave tomorrow! right now i'm still chilling in ottawa with my sister and her new baby but off to montreal this afternoon to meet my friends and flying out tomorrow morning!
    we don't know exactly where we're going yet (we're not exactly planners) but we've rented a little cottage for the first night in peggy's cove and we have a car and we'll be there for a week so definitely going to cape breton and lunenburg and we'll just drive around the whole island i imagine. will post pics when i get back.
    BITTER likes this.

Enjoy sputnik, and take pics...
    sputnik likes this.
    Good luck getting a cat to do anything let alone join in on your sexcapades. - Air Quotes

Are you going to Halifax, Sput? It's pretty just to walk around in, but there's some amazing food and drink as well. We like Chives Canadian Bistro, and The Bicycle Thief is supposed to be amazing but we haven't been yet. I went to The Middle Spoon thinking I wanted their desserts, but actually where they really shine is their drinks. If you're in the mood for a yummy and interesting cocktail with local and/or artisanal ingredients, check it out. They do get packed and tend to ignore you though! Maybe just hit the bar, enjoy one and move on!
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

^^^
    thanks, tati!
    we're in cape breton on the cabot trail now, at this amazing little inn with cabins and great food and surroundings - and an amazing wifi connection (faster than the one i have at home). so far, we're avoiding civilisation but if we have time we'll do halifax on the last day before we fly out (we're leaving late afternoon on the 26th). we went straight to peggy's cove from the airport, explored some of the coast around there, then drove out the next day and saw the coast between tatamagouche, pictou, antigonish and pomquet. spent the night at some wonderful little cabins on the shore outside of antigonish (the town itself isn't great but the surroundings are spectacular), went to pomquet beach (gorgeous and surrounded by dunes and marshes with lots of wildlife), then hit the road for cape breton. we're near chéticamp right now, tomorrow we go sea kayaking and whale watching and then we're going further north/east and we'll see as much of cape breton as time and weather permit. i'm in love with this place already, the scenery is amazing, people are super friendly and laid back (definitely on island time - funny how that happens whether the island is in the tropics or way further north), the seafood is cheap and abundant and delicious and we've stayed in some great little b&b's and inns.
    ManxMouse, Brookie and Jana like this.

Sounds awesome!

- Kahlil Gibran

Thread Information