Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: 36 Delightful Facts about Canada

Default 36 Delightful Facts about Canada

36 Delightful Facts about Canada

1. People in Churchill leave their car doors unlocked in case their neighbours need to make a quick escape from polar bears.

2. There’s also a prison for polar bears who break into peoples’ homes for food.

3. No cows in Canada are given artificial hormones for milk production.

Which means no dairy products, like milk, cheese, or yogurt, produced in Canada contain hormones either!

4. For one day in 1943, Ottawa designated a hospital room to be “extraterritorial” (international) ground so a Dutch princess could be born a full Dutch citizen.

(A Dutch requirement for her to keep her princess title.)

5. And every year the Netherlands send Canada thousands of tulips to show their gratitude.

6. Which inspired Ottawa’s annual Tulip Festival.

Held in May, it showcases millions of beautiful tulips in bloom. Alexandre Deslongchamps/Alexandre Deslongchamps

7. Canada has banned the Westboro Baptist Church members from entering the country and picketing funerals.

Hate speech is a penalized offense by the federal and provincial government.

8. Kraft Dinner (“KD”) is the top-selling grocery item in the country. Canadians consume 55% more of it than Americans do.

9. The quality of their tap water is often better than bottled water.

10. They have a $300 collectors’ gold coin that has a narwhal on it.

11. And a special quarter with a GLOW-IN-THE DARK DINOSAUR on it.

12. The Canadian Mint also created a $1,000,000 coin that is actually usable.

13. Canada is the most educated country in the world.

14. It has an “Apology Act.” It allows an apology in court to be a sign of compassion and empathy, not guilt.

15. In the 1930 World Cup, Canada’s hockey team was so badass they didn’t even have to play knockout rounds and were placed directly in the final game. They then went on to win gold.

16. Canada’s Post Office receives millions of letters addressed to “Santa Claus, North Pole” each year. They respond to each one as Mrs. Claus. It’s an employee-led volunteering initiative

17. They’ve claimed the address “Santa Claus, North Pole, H0H 0H0.”

18. A part of the country actually has less gravity than the rest of Earth.

19. During the holiday seasons, it has a volunteer service that gives free rides to those too drunk or too tired to drive.

The program is called “Operation Red Nose” (“Opération Nez Rouge”) and the drivers are called sleigh deer. operationnezrouge.com

20. The nation’s official phone number is 1-800-O-Canada.

I kid you not.

21. George Street in Newfoundland has more bars and pubs per square feet than on any street in North America.

22. Canada does not allow pre-employment or randomized employee drug tests.

23. An Ontario man invented Hawaiian pizza.

24. There is a strategic maple syrup reserve.

25. Alberta, Canada, is the only region in the entire world free of Norwegian rats.

26. In 1947, a group of kids protested after the price of chocolate bars were raised from 5 cents to 8 cents.

27. The Citizenship and Immigration Minister declared that Santa Claus is Canadian.

28. It has an island called “Dildo.”

29. The term “trick or treat” was first used in Alberta.

30. Canadian McDonald’s exclusively sell the McLobster.

31. You can thank Kiefer Sutherland’s grandpa for bringing the country universal healthcare.

32. The University of Victoria offers a course called the “Science of Batman.”

33. In Saskatchewan, a hoodie is called a “bunnyhug.”

34. Half of Canada’s provinces (which accounts for more than 85% of the population) are governed by women.

35. A town in British Columbia has the postal code “V4G 1N4.”

36. Studies find Canadians to be the second happiest people in the world. And they’re only getting happier.
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

Canada seems like a good place. I've not been there but I do have family that live in Vancouver. My dad is currently on holiday there, I'm tempted to tell him to visit Dildo island now

I like number 7 but ... number 22 may be the real reason to move THERE instead of Alaska.
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(•_•)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

I want a McLobster right this minute!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

I developed a weakness for Tim Horton bearclaws, poutine and Nanaimo Bars. And Trailer Park Boys.
    Good luck getting a cat to do anything let alone join in on your sexcapades. - Air Quotes

I love the dinosaur coin.
    I've been dreaming to live in Churchill for years: cold weather and polar bears!

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

Canada was already fairly high on our list of places when we were kicking around the idea of maybe starting over in a different country. I think the dinosaur coin and "George Street in Newfoundland has more bars and pubs per square feet than on any street in North America." have just moved it to #2 on the list.
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. Hunter S Thompson

How big would a T-Rex wang be?! - Karistiona

Quote Originally Posted by Sarzy View Post
    Canada seems like a good place. I've not been there but I do have family that live in Vancouver. My dad is currently on holiday there, I'm tempted to tell him to visit Dildo island now
    Other side of the country! He'll have to travel thousands of kilometers.

I like this:
    3. No cows in Canada are given artificial hormones for milk production.
    Which means no dairy products, like milk, cheese, or yogurt, produced in Canada contain hormones either!
    You get Americans crossing the border to buy cheese that doesn't contain hormones while there are Canadians who cross the border to buy cheese that is cheaper. How it can still be cheaper when you factor in fuel prices and border crossing fees, I don't know.

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

-- Stephen Hawking

Grass is always greener...
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

^ Unless it's covered in snow!
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

Love my country even more.
    Go Habs Go!!

I haven't been to Canada in years. I always want to go back. We wanted to go the last time we were in Seattle, but didn't have passports with us.

After reading this, I think I really do love Canada.

I go nearly every year. Love it there.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by BITTER View Post
    I developed a weakness for Tim Horton bearclaws, poutine and Nanaimo Bars. And Trailer Park Boys.

If you like sweets like Nanaimo Bars. You may like my two of the best treats I've made.
    One is a s'more bar; graham cracker crust, brownie middle, topped with toffee bars (graham crackers baked with melted brown sugar, butter and vanilla sauce drizzled with melted chocolate and nuts) then marshmallows. Lightly roasted under broiler.
    Another is my chocolate mint cheesecake cupcake; make cupcakes using white cake mix, add 1/2 cup of chocolate mint chips,fill only 3/4. Make standard cheesecake batter and add melted chocolate mint chips. Spoon into the center 1/2 tsp at a time til batter rises to rim. Bake per cake mix box instructions. You may have to bake longer. No more than by 5 mins. Make standard buttercream frosting using vanilla pudding instead of cream. Frost the cupcakes and vioila... bon appetite!

#7 makes me SO proud to be Canadian!
    BITTER likes this.

I don't understand why they are ignoring their most perfect gift to us - Patrick Sharp

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information