Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Anyone try Couchsurfing or AirBnB?

Default Anyone try Couchsurfing or AirBnB?

I want to try and do more traveling and exploring next year, and I don't mind staying in hostels and I've been known to stay at a Motel 6 or a Red Roof Inn, so I'm not the pickiest guy in the world, though I have some standards.

I wanted to know if any of you have ever tried Couchsurfing or AirBNB. Couchsurfing is pretty much free - staying in someone's house while AirBNB involves renting a room or house depending on your needs. I'll admit I'm a lot more leery about staying in someone's house for free than paying. I know the reviews are a lot more mixed on Couchsurfing depending on someone's experience.

I wanted to know if someone has ever had experiences with either of these sites and what to expect. I'm considering relocating to another city soon and debate on staying somewhere for a few weeks to a month to get experience and a feel for a city (which would be a lot more feasible if you're renting a room or staying in an extended stay).

My only experience is as a host; we hosted over two dozen separate people/families this summer in our bunkie through Airbnb and it was a great experience! I would definitely do it again. I had two sets of guests that I would prefer not to have back, but they were harmless, really - just annoying (and in the exact same ways, too; if someone had told me they were actually related I'd have believed them in a second). And all the rest were awesome.

Sorry, I haven't used either site as a guest yet, although we plan to start using Airbnb that way soon.
    hustle4alivin likes this.
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

haven't tried it myself but i have a good friend who bought a house a few years ago, he lives in the ground floor apartment, rents out the top floor to tenant, and rents out rooms in the garden/basement apartment on airbnb. much like tati, no horror stories but a few weird and annoying guests, including a few russians who rented out the room and then in the three weeks before their arrival, would send my friend these really detailed emails asking about the place, that included long, meandering anecdotes about their own lives. he sent them to me to read and they were fucking bizarre.
    but it's my understanding that there are pictures of the different places and ratings so you can more or less tell what you're getting yourself into in advance.
    hustle4alivin likes this.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

No personal experience but a friend used Airbnb to find a place to rent in Barcelona and the place was awesome and for a much better price than getting a hotel room. I also had some friends who were Couchsurfers but they had a number of bad experiences with guests in their place so they got out of it altogether.
    What if Superman is psychotic and everyone can see that he's Clark Kent but they just play along not to set him off?

I used AirBNB when I travelled to Costa Rica, and also in Amsterdam. It depends on where you want to travel to; always make sure the place has enough feedbacks from people that stayed there and don't go to a place that wasn't recommended.
    -

I just booked a place through AirBnB for when I go to LA in March. It's a fab location (four blocks from Venice beach, one block from Abbot Kinney) and it was for a great price. Two weeks for around £650. I'll be staying with one guy and he gets amazing reviews, as does his place. I'm not worried about it at all, even though I'll be travelling alone. I will let you know how it goes though. I feel safe using AirBnB as you have a lot of options of conformation of identity, etc. I put as many on there as possible.
    Ain't nothing wrong with Ohio wang! - MontanaMama

Quote Originally Posted by levitt View Post
    I just booked a place through AirBnB for when I go to LA in March. It's a fab location (four blocks from Venice beach, one block from Abbot Kinney) and it was for a great price. Two weeks for around £650. I'll be staying with one guy and he gets amazing reviews, as does his place. I'm not worried about it at all, even though I'll be travelling alone. I will let you know how it goes though. I feel safe using AirBnB as you have a lot of options of conformation of identity, etc. I put as many on there as possible.
    Wouldn't it be funny of he tuned out to be Mr Wonderful...
    levitt likes this.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

I use airbnb a lot. It's generally a betterdeal than a hotel room for a weeklong stay, and I usually get a kitchen to use. There are no paper walls like in motels. I select for whole house / apartment rather than just a room in someone's house, although once I just got two rooms in a house, the owner more or less lived on a different floor.

i did have one very subpar experience and left early and got a refund ... Heat and toilet did not work and owner nonresponsive.

But overall I am satisfied. In fact I am sitting in an airbnb apartment as I write this.
    Last edited by Shinola; October 30th, 2013 at 03:07 PM.
    Posted from my fucking iPhone

fgg

i just found airbnb and can't wait to try it out!
    can't post pics because my computer's broken and i'm stupid

Quote Originally Posted by McJag View Post
    Wouldn't it be funny of he tuned out to be Mr Wonderful...
    He's gay!

I'll actually be there visiting Mr Wonderful. Don't worry McJag, I will be sure to tell you all after I return to boring old Blighty.

I use AirBNB and I can recommend it. Some friends of mine did the whole couchsurfing thing with mixed results. Apparently, hosting can turn out to be tricky. My friend just had two Chinese girls staying at her place who had never been outside of China and the experience was super strange, because they were basically like aliens and not in a good way. They found pretty much everything offensive. Another friend traveled all over Japan using Couchsurfing and she raved about it big time. Another friend had two Siberian dudes staying over and she was kind of worried beforehand (because of them being male), but they turned out to be super fun and non-threatening. It's a lottery, plain and simple.

They have these charity projects on Couchsurfing, people offer a place to sleep for people from Fukushima or Syria. I signed up for it and never got a request.
    Hello mother fucker! when you ask a question read also the answer instead of asking another question on an answer who already contain the answer of your next question!
    -Bugdoll-

I would take your couch, Chilly

^^ a friend of mine offers a place to sleep for couchsurfers. He's a pretty rich guy and has a big house on the lake which I wouldn't afford even if I moved in with three or four friends. He wanted to offer people with less money a good opportunity to come to Zurich without having to pay tons for a hotel room, and because he had a divorce a few months ago he found it was cool to meet new people. There was one guy from L.A. that went couchsurfing at his place and he decided to stay for six whole months. Of course they really get along well but i found it was hilarious.
    Shinola, levitt and hustle4alivin like this.
    -

why do i keep reading this as "cocksurfing"...
    Novice likes this.
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(•_•)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

I used Air BnB to find an apartment to stay in for a week in Paris and it was amazing. Lovely person renting it, right by the Seine, small but had everything I needed (including a small fridge and a hot plate to cook on) and cost me about 1/2 of what a 2 star hotel on the outskirts would have cost. Simple to pay, simple to book, simple to enquire, and the feedback means you can avoid dodgy places.

LOVE IT.
    hustle4alivin and levitt like this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information