Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Allergic to electricity? Really hippies?

Default Allergic to electricity? Really hippies?

Somewhere around here I put up a post about all of my various storage units and the agony involved with collecting and then getting rid of stuff......I have moved so many times never realizing I would never return to the place which I had left. I've always thought I would be going back 'home'. But home seems to have become a lifetime moving target.

So I've got all what is left of my grandmothers stuff (born 1894) in an outback place where I used to live about 1,000 miles away. My husband has assiduously pointed out that we are now as close to this stuff as we will ever be again. This stuff has just got to be dealt with. Stuff's gotta go. Somewhere. The expense is large.

I find a post on craigslist today that a person is looking to share vehicle/space/transport van of stuff from down there to up here. I jump on it.

I call the craigslist person and have a really nice conversation with this woman--but fuck is America full of weirdos or what? She tells me she is moving from her place "off the grid" to another even farther-out craphole because she is 'sensitive to electricity' and collects her own rainwater sans plumbing, and needs to move a couple of her favorite plants 1,000+ miles to a new place where she will hope to survive better her environmental allergies.

I've been to some pretty shitteous countries. I've seen children kicking flat airless soccer balls on dirt streets for fun, and washing themselves in tin bowls of trucked in water because there was no public water supply, no paved roads, and fuck all no dependable electricity for the darkness.

And this entitled/environmentally disabled American (with TWO vehicles) is grandiously moving at some good expense to another location where she has no employment (I'm betting she's collecting government subsidized disability, I'd put money on it) to a place where her allergy to electricity and other contemporary hazards is more bearable.....

--I found my temperature rising--

Hey lady, you could move to El Salvador or Bolivia or Tajikistan or another less electrical place where people live with shit nothing, and be happy! Oh but wait....the governments there won't subsidize your environmental allergies, which means that you would starve to death poste haste....and not two fucks would be given.

Her western sense of 'I, me, mine' just royally pissed me off.

When the shit hits the fan (and oh yes, it is coming) these kind of people will be the first to go. I doubt they will be missed.

Who the hell does she think she is?

/rant/off//
    Sassiness likes this.

When the shit hits the fan (and oh yes, it is coming) these kind of people will be the first to go. I doubt they will be missed.
    What shit? Do I need to make preparations?

I guess this hippie douchebag doesn't realize that both her cars use electricity to some degree.

A*O

I'd like to know which dumb doctor signed her off on her "disability" so she can collect welfare in the first place. It's probably easier than having her hanging around the surgery being a PIA. Get a job!
    azoria likes this.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

^^^^
    She was in California.

Nuff said?

I'm confused, did she tell you she was on disability? This is the oddest rant I've seen here. Because people in other parts of the world are disadvantaged, she should be more of a consumer? I honestly don't get the gripe. You don't know that she's receiving gov't assistance. Plenty of people live off the grid and live very simply and therefore don't need much. How does her not consuming electricity or city/well water improve the inflation of the soccer ball?
    If i hear one more personal attack, i will type while drunk, then you can cry! - Bugdoll
    (716): I'd call her a cunt, but she doesn't seem to have the depth or warmth
    Quote Originally Posted by shedevilang View Post
    (Replying to MontanaMama) This is some of the smartest shit I ever read

So, did you hire her to transport your stuff?

Quote Originally Posted by MontanaMama View Post
    I'm confused, did she tell you she was on disability? This is the oddest rant I've seen here. Because people in other parts of the world are disadvantaged, she should be more of a consumer? I honestly don't get the gripe. You don't know that she's receiving gov't assistance. Plenty of people live off the grid and live very simply and therefore don't need much. How does her not consuming electricity or city/well water improve the inflation of the soccer ball?
    Exactly, I'm scratching my head over the whole rant. What exactly is the problem - she's too much of a hippy but not enough?

And I've had problems with electricity in the past - I've been struck by lightning and have all sorts of issues like switching on brand new appliances that last literally minutes before they blow the fuse in my house. I also get sparks off everything even when it's humid. So maybe she is a flake, but don't discount all the people who are allergic to the 21st century because there might be some truth to it.
    Witchywoman likes this.
    "You're going to die tomorrow, Lord Bolton. Sleep well."

Hit By Ban Bus!

At least now I know what to get my stepdad for Christmas, seeing as he is on disability and all. Off to Bangladesh he goes.

Quote Originally Posted by faithanne View Post
    Exactly, I'm scratching my head over the whole rant. What exactly is the problem - she's too much of a hippy but not enough?

And I've had problems with electricity in the past - I've been struck by lightning and have all sorts of issues like switching on brand new appliances that last literally minutes before they blow the fuse in my house. I also get sparks off everything even when it's humid. So maybe she is a flake, but don't discount all the people who are allergic to the 21st century because there might be some truth to it.
    Ummm, what? Seriously? That's some shit. Do tell.
    If i hear one more personal attack, i will type while drunk, then you can cry! - Bugdoll

I'm sure I posted about it here somewhere. I was at home, sitting in front of a window that was open maybe 5 cm (don't make me look that up in inches - not very many anyway) and my house was at the bottom of a steep slope. I was about 11-12 years old and my mum was in the kitchen opposite where I was sitting facing me and talking when she said she saw a big flash and a loud sound, then saw me jerk and slump in the seat. I didn't lose consciousness and they took me to the doctor but I was fine, I just had a horrible stiff neck and headache for days and I can still feel the spot it hit me (and my hair grows wonky there). I wasn't traumatised at the time but when I was older I think I got a little PTSD because I started thinking about it a lot and I figured out it might have been the cause of a lot of problems I had back then with attention, migraines etc. One of these days I'll sign up for some study so they can figure out if it caused me any long term damage.

The only side effects are my x-ray vision and amazing sense of humour which is like a super power. Otherwise I wasn't affected.

Holy shit, what a story. And now that you have your iPad, you can put your side effects to good use. But I agree, you should probably be studied.

Faithanne that's crazy. You said in your original post that when you plug appliances in, they blow fuses and that you create a lot of static electricity. Do you think it's something to do with being struck? I feel ridiculous posting that, but that's how I read your post. Besides, we're just energy ... maybe yours is super charged.

Wow, Faithanne! A friend I knew washing dishes ate metal sink was struck one night, no lingering effects. Lightning stories remind me of Alice Hoffman's book, "The Ice Queen."

Quote Originally Posted by CornFlakegrl View Post
    Faithanne that's crazy. You said in your original post that when you plug appliances in, they blow fuses and that you create a lot of static electricity. Do you think it's something to do with being struck? I feel ridiculous posting that, but that's how I read your post. Besides, we're just energy ... maybe yours is super charged.
    There's one school of thought (my mother, RIP) who said the lightning was looking for me because it managed to travel downhill and through a tiny gap in the window just to get to me, so therefore I must attract electricity (not because of my good looks though). Everyone else seems to think the lightning stike caused my Electro-Powers but I remember having those problems as a little kid way before I was struck.
    MmeVertigina and CornFlakegrl like this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information