Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: The Sad Decline of the Poconos' Resort Towns

Default The Sad Decline of the Poconos' Resort Towns

In its heyday the White Pines resort in Poconos was a haven for garment workers who could relax with their families, enjoy sports and shows.
    Today, all that is left is a series of crumbing buildings, damaged by the severe Pennsylvania winters that have hit since it was forced to close in 1990.
    Philadelphia photographer Matt Hurst has documented the dated decor of the forest resort, where members of the International Ladies' Garment Workers' Union would come to relax.

Abandoned: White Pines in Poconos used to be a resort for union workers

Expand your horizons: Lectures and workshops were available for the holiday-makers

A heart-shaped hot tub on a platform is still at a now deserted honeymoon resort nearby

Abandoned for more than 20 years, the Pennsylvania resort stands as a reminder of mid-century style, according to the Huffington Post.
    Block concrete buildings give way to dark wood interiors and bright orange soft furnishings. At a nearby honeymoon retreat, fake foliage still hangs around a plastic heart-shaped hot tub, raised on a green-carpeted platform.
    'I was immediately attracted to and intrigued by the Brutalist architecture of the main building,' Hurst said.
    'While the facilities here are not scheduled for any demolition that I am aware of, the elements are doing their part to hasten its demise.'
    At its height, the garment union had 451,000 members, who were able to use the forest resort at subsidized cost.
    Summer sports, theater shows and concerts were put on for the workers and their families, as well as enriching lectures.

Retreat: Cabins for vacationers are still nestled in the forests

It even earned the praise of Eleanor Roosevelt, who wrote after visiting it in 1945: 'You could not put children in a more favorable environment.'
    After being inspired by the derelict 'worker's paradise', which he noted was free from the usual graffiti and vandalism, Hurst also photographed a nearby resort for honeymooners, which included heart-shape hot tubs and red bedroom walls.
    However, White Pines reflected a transition in history that appealed to the photographer.
    'The transition of White Pines from a thriving, modern "worker's paradise" to crumbling ruins depicts both the difficulties the region has faced in attracting clientele as well as the struggle of the organized labor movement in the United States,' he said.

Full house: Tens of thousands of union members and their families visited the resort
    Debris: The fake logs from an electrical fire are left on the floor of one of the resort rooms

Broken: A plastic heart-shaped tub has been ripped from its fittings

Games room: Mildewy seats are lined up next to a bar

Forgotten: The once-thriving resort has been deserted since 1990

Damage: Glass in the windows of many of the buildings has been smashed

Smashed: The broken glass and blinds at this window allow a glimpse into the dark interior

Chilling: Frost-covered plants and greenery grow under a broken ceiling panel

End of an era: As membership dwindled, the resort closed in 1990

Erased: Stains can be seen on the carpets and creeping up the walls of the club house

Dated: The wood paneling and burnt orange soft furnishings hint at an earlier era

Grime: Dirt obscures the large windows that would once have offered views of the surrounding woodland

Disrepair: Large chunks of the ceiling litter the floor of some rooms

Rusting: Harsh winters have rusted the doors to one of the resort's buildings

Cut off: A broken telephone has been dumped with other debris on the floor

Broken: Parts of the union's resort have been unable to weather the Pennsylvania winters

Left overs: An assortment of furniture and broken off ceiling are scattered on this floor

Read more: Inside abandoned 1960s resorts where International Ladies¿ Garment Worker¿s Union got together to relax | Mail Online
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

I'm surprised no one has made off with the telephone booth. It's a cool piece.
    Bluebonnet likes this.

I'm surprised this wasn't on Life After People. I love these pics. Wish there were more or even some before and after photos.

ETA: This site has some more history and a few "before" shots of some of the buildings.

http://www.abandonedny.com/2012/12/the-white-pines.html
    Bluebonnet and gas_chick like this.
    "Schadenfreude, hard to spell, easy to feel." ~VenusinFauxFurs

"Scoffing is one of my main hobbies!" ~Trixie

Whenever I hear about The Poconos it always makes me think of The Golden Girls.

Stan: I was just remembering the first time you made me sleep on the floor.
    Dorothy: Emile Zunt's Hidden Honeymoon Hideaway in The Poconos.
    Stan: Where every cottage is April in Paris . . .
    Dorothy: And every bathroom, Calcutta in July.
    Bluebonnet and Seth82 like this.
    “What are you looking at, sugar-tits?” - Mel Gibson

Aw, man. The Poconos!! I know people in my family that had houses up there. They were cool A-Frame cabins with big decks.

Quote Originally Posted by Laurent View Post
    Whenever I hear about The Poconos it always makes me think of The Golden Girls.
    lol me too.

I was just thinking about that when I saw the thread title.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kat Scorp View Post
    My fellow 1982 Scorpion! Never occurred to me that penises go into ears until your twitpics
    @NickoMoralesXXX
    @Sexy_Seth_1982 awe sexy! You're just too cute to be true- I can't take my eyes off of you-

What a waste. So sad and depressing.
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(•_•)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

No "Dirty Dancing" here.
    MohandasKGanja likes this.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

I agree mel, how sad. I was in the Poconos skiing a couple of years ago and I loved it, this though, ugh.
    See, Whores, we are good for something. Love, Florida
    #fingersinthebootyassbitch

How, ironic. A broken heart:

It is sad!!! Such cool pics though.
    I am going to come and burn the fucking house down... but you will blow me first."

Elite Member

I remember seeing ads in magazines for these resorts as a kid. The ads showed smiling couples in heart shaped tubs and I thought the Poconos were luxury resorts where rich people went. Yes, I grew up sheltered and we didn't travel much.

How sad and depressing. Such a waste. I remember looking at bridal magazines when I was a little girl and there would be all these advertisements for honeymooning in the Poconos and would show a couple in the heart-shaped tub!
    Before you can judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes. - Billy Connolly

Brandy Norwood's next tour stop.
    Bluebonnet, Laurent and Honey like this.

Hit By Ban Bus!

When I was a kid, I so wanted to go to the Poconos, specifically the hotel that had the champagne glass hot tub in it. I'm looking at them on Tripadvisor, they look the exact same as they did when I was 10 (which is frightening really, no updates in 27 years?!?!). Then I got hit with the willies...think of all the cum and cooter juice that is all over than damn room, trapped in the tiny crevices, the stuff of nightmares.
    Bluebonnet likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information