Like Tree10Likes
  • 1 Post By louiswinthorpe111
  • 5 Post By Kathie_Moffett
  • 1 Post By MmeVertigina
  • 3 Post By gas_chick

Thread: September trip to Los Angeles, LA peeps, help me out!!

Default September trip to Los Angeles, LA peeps, help me out!!

I know it seems I'm trolling for vacations, which I kinda do, and my Hawaii trip is still a good year away before I can save for the airfare. In the meantime, I came across an awesome weekend getaway vacation to LA for super cheap and we are going to use it to celebrate our 19th wedding anniversary. So we arrive early Friday morning and leave Sunday at noon. I'm staying in Manhattan Beach, not on the beach, but close. What do you folks think I should do with my time? I want to spend one day doing some touristy shit, and another, relaxing beach sort of day.

so where should I go, are there places I should go to eat (not too pricey please), and would the beach be better on Friday or Sat, and the same with the tourist things. Any suggestions are appreciated!
    levitt likes this.
    RELIGION: Treat it like it's your genitalia. Don't show it off in public, and don't shove it down your children's throats.

Not a native, so am of no help, but enjoy your anniversary trip! I googled "Top Ten Things to do in LA this Weekend" and this was returned. Maybe some of them will strike y'alls fancy.

* - CityThink - Los Angeles magazine

It sort of depends on what you like to do. I love historic/eccentric/funky LA but don't have much use for modern LA. I mean, the Sunset Strip IS cool, and you can feel the sleazy vibes oozing all the way out to the street from the Chateau Marmont, sure. Shopping is fun on Rodeo Drive (though more of the window variety for my wallet.) The La Brea tar pits are kind of anticlimactic but for those with imagination, still worth it.

But yeah.

If, like me, you are into old (or even new) movies and old stuff/LA history/crime history in general, you should read up a bit and then take a few hours looking around Hollywood. There's dumb/fun new stuff on Hollywood Boulevard and nearby (and some skeeze, too, OF COURSE) but also essential sights like the Chinese and Egyptian Theatres, the Formosa Cafe (where Lana Turner made her legendary appearance wearing only whipped cream) and the new (huge and hideous) Kodak Theatre I think it's called, where they do the Oscars, etc.

Also, there's a couple of great books/memorabilia/photos/posters stores there, and the oldest restaurant in Hollywood, open since 1927 and a fucking unbelievable piece of history: Musso and Frank's on H'wood Boulevard. They're so old school they still serve weird shit like tongue, but man the drinks are good. And the interesting-celeb spotting can be excellent there. It is not a place Kardashians go.

A couple of other good food places that come to mind are:

101 Coffee Shop - Hollywood - Los Angeles, CA

Open late night last I checked, good diner food, and always a good people-watching/eavesdropping scene. I've overheard some of the most hilarious conversations here. It can be epic.

A similar spot over on Vermont St. in Los Feliz is Fred 62, open 24 hours still, I think. Good food and some great weirdness at 3 am.

I like odder landmarks too, like the deeply strange house where author/ex-LAPD detective Steve Hodel's father lived when he allegedly murdered the Black Dahlia--it's at 5121 Franklin, Sowden House. No inside tours but even the outside is creepy. Hollywood also has of course...cemeteries. Hollywood Forever is the friendliest. Lots of stars are buried there, and at Forest Lawn, but FL is less accessible in that some graves are off limits.

In the vicinity is of course the Griffith Park observatory...for James Dean fans as well as observatory fans. Amazing views there and up along Mulholland Drive.

Also in Hollywood--the Frolic Room, 1930s-era bar still in business, used in "LA Confidential" and the Magic Castle on Highland. The Castle is a private club and theatre but if you are into magic/magicians, there are many ways of getting in for a show and/or dinner--google again. I seriously had one of the best times of my life there and I don't even care that much for magic.

(Oh and if you like Janis Joplin, you can cruise past the hotel where she died--it's right up the street from the Castle. It's called the Highland Gardens. I stayed in her room once, just because the hotel was full, I was a last minute guest, and the hotel manager knew me and trusted me not to hold some crazy seance or OD or have screaming fits at 3 am, etc. Sadly, there were no mysterious strains of "Summertime" at 3 am. I would've liked to chat with Janis.)

For old movie buffs, the Margaret Herrick Library at the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences is a must-see: Margaret Herrick Library | Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences

Another place in LA I absolutely loved was Olvera Street. SO much fun!!! I would actually recommend this the most of anything for those on a short trip like you. Here's the Wiki--check it out: Olvera Street - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Downtown LA is fascinating overall. There's stuff like Union Station (incredible Deco train station used in 9,345,867 films) and the Bradbury building, which likewise you WILL recognize. More, there are all these streets full of incredible early 20th century buildings and movie palaces...it's like stepping onto a film noir set, kind of haunting. Years ago, it was a scary ghetto full of literally crowds of homeless people living on the sidewalk and a ton of crime. More recently, though, I hear that the preservationists and restorers have been taking it over.

My favorite landmark there: Clifton's Cafeteria, which opened in 1931. It's an astonishing blast from the past. Clifton's Cafeteria - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Unfortunately, it's currently closed, being fully restored by someone who evidently really loves it. It was great as it was, shabby and old school, but it sounds like there is hope for a quality revival. This is the 1930s facade they want to recreate:

If you like museums, the J. Paul Getty and the Natural History Museum were both as wonderful as I expected them to be. I really need to go back sometime...

For really old, Victorian era LA history, Angelino Heights near Echo Park is one of LA's remaining nineteenth century 'hoods. It is awesome if you dig that kinda thing: Angelino Heights FYI for Mad Men fans, Don Draper's childhood home is there, on Carroll Street.

Just to overload you with more info, Venice is awesome. Offbeat shopping and scenestering, and some good breakfast spots right on the beach, where you can watch the bodybuilders, performance artists, and general weirdos having fun.

I have a surprising amount of LA love for a NorCal native.
    Did you know that every time a parent gives in to their kid's whines and buys them candy at the checkout lane, a kitten gets diabetes?-Dlisted
    I dislike groups of people, but I love individuals. Every person you look at, you can see the universe in their eyes, if you're really looking.
    -George Carlin

Abbot Kinney is always fun for a relaxing day, but still stimulating
    Kathie_Moffett likes this.

If you're heading up to Venice, it's probably worth having dinner or a visit to Marina del Rey. Man, I'm so jealous of you - I have to wait until March to go!!
    Ain't nothing wrong with Ohio wang! - MontanaMama

Thanks! I was online yesterday, basically looking at where NOT to go in LA. We arrive fri morning, so we decided to do the Hollywood stuff on Friday and then troll the beaches, Santa Monica, Venice, etc on sat. We are staying in manhattan beach, which is kinda right in the middle. Hubby has decided he wants to go to a dodgers game, since they are playing. He's a big baseball fan, so I may have to appease him. Lol. Haven't a decided if we r doing that Friday or sat night.
    RELIGION: Treat it like it's your genitalia. Don't show it off in public, and don't shove it down your children's throats.

I want to go so badly and do the Dearly Departed Tour!!! Hope you have a great time.
    I am going to come and burn the fucking house down... but you will blow me first."

There are a quite a few great restaurants in and around Manhattan Beach. If you like Cuban food, Versailles is really good. They have a location in Manhattan Beach. There's also a great Italian restaurant in Venice called C&O's. Really yummy food. One of my favorite restaurants in called Reel Inn. It's a seafood place on PCH in Malibu. Nothing fancy, but great food.

If you want to do touristy stuff, just head to Hollywood and go from there. There are a million tours you can go on and have a blast. There's a great deli called Greenblatt's. It's on Sunset and they have good stuff. Plus, if you're in Hollywood on Friday, there are a ton of great lunch trucks that go through town.

Thread Information