Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: A trip to Hawaii may be in my future...tips on aquiring FF miles and other tips?

Default A trip to Hawaii may be in my future...tips on aquiring FF miles and other tips?

Ok, so our dear friends who are in the Army are 85% sure they are getting transfer orders to Hawaii this June. So, I've always said, if you move to Hawaii, we are totally crashing with you for a week! So if we go, I want to go in the dead of winter, and the cost of the flight from Chicago to Hawaii for all of us is $4000.

So, I don't fly that often anymore. Does anyone have a recommendation to acquire frequent flyer miles to try to save a buck or two? I don't even really know how the programs work.

Also, are there any tips on what to see/do while in Hawaii? Other than the beach, of course.
    RELIGION: Treat it like it's your genitalia. Don't show it off in public, and don't shove it down your children's throats.

Quote Originally Posted by louiswinthorpe111 View Post
    Also, are there any tips on what to see/do while in Hawaii? Other than the beach, of course.
    If they are being transferred to Hawaii because they are in the military, then it sounds like they are going to be on Oahu. Here is some stuff to see:

• Arizona and Missouri war memorials
    • The Punchbowl (the Pacific version of Arlington Cemetery). Has tons of colorful murals displaying every WWII pacific battle.
    • Diamondhead - kind of an overlook area for Honolulu, if I remember correctly
    • Polynesian Cultural Center - great place to learn about Polynesian culture. There is an awesome show at the end with a fire dance.
    • The blowhole. It's this rock that has water shooting out of the top as waves come in. Various idiots have died standing on it (which you are not supposed to do).
    • Hanama Bay - snorkeling in a reef area that even a little kid could do. AWESOME place for little kids.
    • Sandy Beach - the beach where the military is banned because it's so dangerous -- but my BIL took us anyway. One kid was carried away on a stretcher while we were there. Amazing, punishing powerful waves.
    • North Shore - where the big waves are supposed to be. Only good in the Winter months, from what I hear. We were there in August.
    • Manoa Falls - a really cool water fall area that you can walk to from the University of Manoa. Shortest hike of all the water fall areas, I think. About two miles through a tropical rainforest. But easy. My SIL did it with us and she was 7 months pregnant at the time.
    • Bellows Beach - this is a beach that can only be accessed by the military, so if your friends are driving, they can get you on the beach. It will be uncrowded (almost deserted when we were there), and great for photos. I have a cool shot of Mrs. Mohandas and I on this beach on my desk. She looks awesome in her bikini, and you can see every striation on my glorious muscular body.

A lot of credit cards will give you sign-up rewards points you can use for airline points. I know when my husband and I got our American Express card they gave us 50k bonus points just for getting the card.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

A*O

^^^ This. Good luck working out how the FF schemes work!

Also visit Nuanu Pila Lookout which claims to be the windiest place on Earth. The day we visited there wasn't a breath of wind. Swizzz. Great view though.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Nothing to add except I is a jealous betch (and bitter and fat!)

Which island are you visiting?

sucking on a blow pop and playing with electrodes

Eeeeeeeeek, so I decided a while ago that I would take my son and my mother to Hawaii, the plan is next year. Anybody have a hotel recommendation for the big island?
    KILLING ME WON'T BRING BACK YOUR GOD DAMNED HONEY!!!!!!!!!!

Come on, let's have lots of drinks.

Fuck you all, I'm going viral.

Quote Originally Posted by Just Kill Me View Post
    Eeeeeeeeek, so I decided a while ago that I would take my son and my mother to Hawaii, the plan is next year. Anybody have a hotel recommendation for the big island?
    On the big island, we stayed at the Hapuna Beach Prince hotel (on the west side). VERY nice hotel, with a great beach in front of it. I just checked their site (Big Island Hawaii Family Vacation Packages | Hapuna Beach Prince Hotel €“ Specials & Packages) and it seems like rooms are going for about $280 a night. The only reason we stayed there was because my wife's company was hosting a conference for a bunch of scientists and she was staying there for free (and I got to tag along). They had an area where you could get snorkel equipment from them for free and snorkel around the volcanic rocks. AMAZING crystal-clear view in the water. We felt like we were suspended about 100 feet above the ocean floor. Mrs. Mohandas' coworkers had seen giant seat turtles when they went.

That being said, I thought the big island was kind of boring compared to Maui and Oahu.

ETA - picture of the hotel:

Eeeeeeek, thank you for the info! I will definitely check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Just Kill Me View Post
    Eeeeeeek, thank you for the info! I will definitely check it out.
    If you like to golf, it's sister resort (if I remember correctly) is the world-famous Mauna Kei. The beach in front of Hapuna is amazing - which is probably why the Rockefellers used to own the property. Other things to see on the island are the Kilohuea caldera - although you won't see any active lava flows unless you are on a helicopter). If you go to the East side in your rental car (takes about 90 minutes), you will see a ZILLION amazing waterfalls as you drive down the highway. I think the Mauna Loa macadamia factory is on that island, too.

You ok JKM? Has a mouse gotten your keyboard?

Louis, watch the fares for a while and figure out what airline you want, make sure you have your frequent flyer account already set up and then apply for a credit card that ties to the airline. You'll get some bonus miles at the start but then (for the short term) move most of your buying to that credit card - groceries, gas, dinners out, etc.
    If i hear one more personal attack, i will type while drunk, then you can cry! - Bugdoll
    (716): I'd call her a cunt, but she doesn't seem to have the depth or warmth
    Quote Originally Posted by shedevilang View Post
    (Replying to MontanaMama) This is some of the smartest shit I ever read

I'm just all excited!

Hit By Ban Bus!

If it were me I'd get me a grass skirt ,buy some coconut titties and tell the locals to hold onto their husbands.
    Just Kill Me likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    If they are being transferred to Hawaii because they are in the military, then it sounds like they are going to be on Oahu. Here is some stuff to see:

• Arizona and Missouri war memorials
    • The Punchbowl (the Pacific version of Arlington Cemetery). Has tons of colorful murals displaying every WWII pacific battle.
    • Diamondhead - kind of an overlook area for Honolulu, if I remember correctly
    • Polynesian Cultural Center - great place to learn about Polynesian culture. There is an awesome show at the end with a fire dance.
    • The blowhole. It's this rock that has water shooting out of the top as waves come in. Various idiots have died standing on it (which you are not supposed to do).
    • Hanama Bay - snorkeling in a reef area that even a little kid could do. AWESOME place for little kids.
    • Sandy Beach - the beach where the military is banned because it's so dangerous -- but my BIL took us anyway. One kid was carried away on a stretcher while we were there. Amazing, punishing powerful waves.
    • North Shore - where the big waves are supposed to be. Only good in the Winter months, from what I hear. We were there in August.
    • Manoa Falls - a really cool water fall area that you can walk to from the University of Manoa. Shortest hike of all the water fall areas, I think. About two miles through a tropical rainforest. But easy. My SIL did it with us and she was 7 months pregnant at the time.
    • Bellows Beach - this is a beach that can only be accessed by the military, so if your friends are driving, they can get you on the beach. It will be uncrowded (almost deserted when we were there), and great for photos. I have a cool shot of Mrs. Mohandas and I on this beach on my desk. She looks awesome in her bikini, and you can see every striation on my glorious muscular body.
    Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    ^^^ This. Good luck working out how the FF schemes work!

Also visit Nuanu Pila Lookout which claims to be the windiest place on Earth. The day we visited there wasn't a breath of wind. Swizzz. Great view though.
    I've been 15 times now, some for work and some for fun. I completely agree with these lists, especially for a first timer. Everyone will love all of those. A*O, a local told us when we visited that lookout that someone had tried to commit suicide from that lookout point. The wind swept him back up and threw him back to the mountain behind the lookout. His only injury was a broken ankle. Talk about it not being your day

I saw there were new posts to this. Currently planning for Spring Break 2015. Airline from Chicago is about 4K, so I'm saving up!
    rockchick likes this.
    RELIGION: Treat it like it's your genitalia. Don't show it off in public, and don't shove it down your children's throats.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information