Like Tree4Likes
  • 3 Post By sputnik
  • 1 Post By levitt

Thread: LA & NYC in February

Default LA & NYC in February

Hi guys!

So after saying I wasn't sold on NYC when I went a few years ago, I'm going again in Feb next year (I am determined to love it, god damnit)! I'm also going to LA, spending 5 nights then flying to NYC and spending another 5 nights there. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for me, when I went to NYC before I did touristy things so I'd quite like to try something a bit new/unexpected. I'm going with a pal who has friends in LA so he has a few ideas for places to go but more are very welcome, I've never been so I know diddly squat about the area and/or what to do, where to avoid, etc.

In NYC I am going to see an off-broadway play called The Revisionist, it's written by (and staring) Jesse Eisenberg, so I'm really looking forward to that. Front row too! Exciting!

ETA: Any idea on temperatures? I've googled NYC in Feb and sounds like I might be layering up...
    Ain't nothing wrong with Ohio wang! - MontanaMama

What do you like? Do you like modern art or classic? Are you a museum type person? Do you like flashy stores or more indie boutiques? What kind of food are you into? I'm happy to give you loads of recommendations but it would help to know the sort of things you're into.
    And I'm sure our native nyc'ers will have even more good tips. I've only lived here for 6 months but visited countless times before so I like to think I know the city fairly well.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

I'm pretty easy and open to everything. I lean more towards classic art, I liked Soho better than 5th when I went last time (I haven't been to the MoMA so I must go this time). I love sushi, Thai... I feel a but useless telling you I like everything, but honestly! Ha. I'd quite like to go to a cool jazz club or comedy night if I could, I also love a good cocktail, maybe somewhere with a chilled out atmosphere. Thank you for the recommendations in advance, Sput!

Definitely check out the high line The High Line

If you didn't do it last time around, go to the metropolitan museum of art, Guggenheim, Moma, ps1 in queens if you want to try some contemporary art, ditto the new museum. The tenement museum is great too, and has a pretty unique format. And the New York public library of course,

I hope it's still on by then but if it is, get tickets for 'sleep no more', it's theatre like you've never experienced before, no traditional stage, instead, the set is an entire building set up to look like a 1920s hotel complete with an amazing bar, and you follow the actors around and sometimes get pulled into scenes. Intense and insane. Go early, start at the bar and stay late.
    Sleep No More

Soho is great for shopping but also really expensive and there are a lot of chain stores so if you're looking for more unique styles, I love Brooklyn, there are so many cool little boutiques in fort Greene, Carroll gardens, downtown Brooklyn, etc. (Atlantic avenue and court street are full of them), also check out Williamsburg

I feel ridiculous giving you restaurant recommendations because there are literally thousands of amazing places to eat and for every budget but here are some that I love:

The grocery - on smith st in Carroll gardens. (Brooklyn) amazing. i have been here a bunch of times starting way before i moved to new york and would come to visit friends. The Grocery Restaurant

Roberta's - amazing pizza and they do a mean brunch too. Great for people watching and they often organise special events like Oktoberfest or random film screenings and parties.
    Roberta’s

Totto ramen or hide-chan if you want delicious ramen noodles.
    Totto Ramen
    Hide-Chan Ramen Japanese restaurant - Midtown East, New York, NY

Paradou - in the obnoxious meatpacking district but unlike most overrated and obnoxious restaurants in that area (spice market, pastis), it's delicious and unpretentious. Israeli french chef and try their foie gras tasting dish and you will die (in a good way)

Danji - I guess you could call this nouveau Korean but they still have a lot of Korean staples, including extremely hot BBQ wings. Tiny and they don't take reservations (like so many places) but definitely worth it.

Pok Pok - amazing vietnamese in Red Hook. Great if you want to explore a part of the city most tourists never go out to. You can walk there from the Carroll st. subway stop, it's near the water. Very reasonably priced and the food is incredible and worth the wait. You can put your name down and head over to alma (bad Mexican place that's nearby - shit food but they have excellent and cheap pitchers of margarita) while you wait.

Graffiti - in the east village. Hard to describe the food I guess it's a kind of Italian Indian fusion cuisine. Tiny, gorgeous space and the chef is soooo nice.
    Rated Best New York Restaurant | Graffiti Food and Wine Bar

Edi and the wolf - great Austrian food, beautiful and cozy ambiance. I lived in Vienna and this is pretty authentic and they have great Austrian wines.
    Edi and the Wolf

I'll try to think of more.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Thank you so much Sput! You've made me very excited, and my friend mentioned that Sleep No More show - I hope it's on, it sounds amazing. I'm reading through all these places' menus and I'm drooling over here...!

This is my favorite restaurant in NYC: veselka::beceлкa

For a few reasons, some sentimental, but honestly it has great, cheap food. Have fun!

^ It's on the list! Hope everyone in NYC is okay right now.
    MmeVertigina likes this.

Thread Information