Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: I'm so confused!! Trying to plan trip to Italy

Default I'm so confused!! Trying to plan trip to Italy

Hello everyone!
    Since y'all were ever so helpful when I thought I was going to Sydney, I thought I'd get some advice about travelling to Italy.

I definitely want to go to Rome & Venice. I think we will spend 10 days total on this trip. We knew we wanted to go to Italy for our 20 year wedding anniversay, that's why we skipped the Sydney trip with the family.

Anyway, I have been doing some internet searches about different places in Italy & how far it is between each (by train) & I think with the amount of time we plan to go, we may only have time for Rome & Venice. But I think we could probably squeeze one more city/town in there, but can't decide which one. I was leaning toward Lake Como.

I would love options/opinions & how much time would you spend at each location, or experiences you have had at other locations.

I am not well traveled, so any experiences/advice is greatly appreciated!
    ETA: Even though our anniversary is in January, we will be going somtime in April or May.

ETA #2: I'm getting so confused I've almost considered scratching Italy (even though I've wanted to go there for most of my adult life) & going to Bora Bora. But I think I will regret not going to Italy

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

We were hoping to go to Italy a little while ago but unfortunately the trip fell through. However my partner has been there many times on business and he seems to like Florence and Siena. I'll try and remember to ask him over the weekend if there are any other places/restaurants that he can recommend.
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. Hunter S Thompson

How big would a T-Rex wang be?! - Karistiona

I've been to Rome, Florence and Venice.

Florence was my favorite. Partly because we stayed in a villa with it's own vineyard, lol. Partly because the city is a walking one and not nearly as hectic as Rome (although Rome is a must see).

If you choose Florence, think about a stay in a villa outside of the city. Lovely.

I would say Rome 5 days,Venice 2 days and either down to Florence for the 3 remaining or Como an.d fly out from Milan.Rome to Venice is about 4 hours by train and about 35 eu,Rome to Florence less than 2 hours.But it is better to do Venice,Milan ,Como as they all are close enough in the north.Venice to Milan is 3 to 4 hours and Milano Como 45 minutes.So you could fly to Rome,and then head north to Venice,Milan,Como and back to Milano to fly out.Problem is you might need a car to see Como properly without a car,unless you use the little boats to the small lake villages.April is a good month to visit.I am sure you ll have a great time.I do miss Italy..
    "Effie is all kinds of awesome." - Some internet moderator

I went to Verona, Venice and Florence. I fell in love with Venice and would happily retire there.
    I am going to come and burn the fucking house down... but you will blow me first."

It's in Europe!

fgg

you only need 2 days in rome. definitely go to florence for at least 3 days and you'll need 2 days in venice.
    holly likes this.
    can't post pics because my computer's broken and i'm stupid

czb

i replied to this thread but it disappeared!

anyhoo, have stayed in como and it is definitely worth seeing. so pretty. have also stayed in some tiny villages in the area and they are fun, too. but for the latter, i was staying with locals as these were population N=50 types of places. but como had more accomodations for tourists so it would be pretty easy to stay there.

fgg

maybe clooney will put you guys up.
    can't post pics because my computer's broken and i'm stupid

if you only have 10 days total, spend 2 full days (3 nights) in rome, 2 days in venice, 1 day in bologna (food capital of italy, underrated treasure and absolutely amazing city that a lot of people forget about), 2-3 days in florence and driving around tuscany (san giminiano, siena, etc.), and then lake como.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    if you only have 10 days total, spend 2 full days (3 nights) in rome, 2 days in venice, 1 day in bologna (food capital of italy, underrated treasure and absolutely amazing city that a lot of people forget about), 2-3 days in florence and driving around tuscany (san giminiano, siena, etc.), and then lake como.
    I think this is the trip I would plan for myself (and Italy is definitely on my list). I've had Bologna recommended very highly more than once.
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

Quote Originally Posted by fgg View Post
    maybe clooney will put you guys up.
    Wouldn't that be a story to tell!

I really appreciate all of the input here! I'm feeling far less daunted than I was earlier today

Lake Como is one of the most gorgeous places I've ever seen. If you get the chance I suggest you go and just walk around the area for the day.

I visited Capri when I was in Italy, and it was very cool. Breaktaking sights. Great shopping. Watch out for the cab rides, those cabbies are crazy!
    RELIGION: Treat it like it's your genitalia. Don't show it off in public, and don't shove it down your children's throats.

I'd go to Positano or Sorrento if you are going in the spring to summer months. Bologna or Ravenna if you aren't.

we have some italians here, maybe they have off the beaten track suggestions....Dove sei, gente?
    Last edited by witchcurlgirl; September 28th, 2012 at 07:50 PM.
    It's no longer a dog whistle, it's a fucking trombone

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information