Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree66Likes

Thread: Cities that you like and dislike

DAP

Default Cities that you like and dislike

I wanted to create this thread because this hasn't really been done before.

I have traveled, and have been fortunate enough to have positive experiences in most places I've been to. Because of that, I'll post a list of the cities that I like later (so hard to choose). However, there have been a few places where I just didn't like my time there at all and at times couldn't stand it. Here's some from the top of my head:

Phoenix, Arizona - This plan is a sprawling concrete jungle. I really didn't like the seemingly baron scenery of the area. And let's not get started with the heat. I found it hard to acclimate to the dry, baking heat of Phoenix in the summer. I thought Houston was bad, but this takes the cake.

Jacksonville, Florida - You would not even think that this is the largest city in Florida. I was baffled when I was informed that this city had some 800,000 people. There doesn't seem to be a lot going on in Jacksonville. The potential is obviously there, but no one seems to want to utilize them.

Myrtle Beach, South Carolina - I LOATHE this place. Absolutely hate that abominable town. It embodies the "trailer trash" image in every way.

Fresno, California - This is pretty self-explanatory.

fgg

i love phoenix/scottsdale. lots of places to go out and have a great time.

vegas and nyc are two of my favorite cities to be in. i go to vegas at least once a year and i used to live in nyc.

i pretty much despise orlando. the traffic and tourists are the worst.

ETA: florence is my favorite city in italy (out of florence, milan, venice and rome) and santorini was my favorite place in greece (out of athens, mykenos, paros and santorini). both are places i'd love to visit again.
    can't post pics because my computer's broken and i'm stupid

Hanoi is my favourite overseas city.

Favourite US city is Chicago, but I also loved NYC and San Francisco. I haven't been to Europe (yet).

ETA: Favourite city in Oz (outside Sydney) is Hobart, just because it's so pretty and quaint. I also love Melbourne except for the weather.
    Last edited by faithanne; September 8th, 2012 at 07:47 PM.
    "You're going to die tomorrow, Lord Bolton. Sleep well."

Quote Originally Posted by fgg View Post

i pretty much despise orlando. the traffic and tourists are the worst.
    I don't get too many tourists on my side of town, not too many want to go downtown Orlando because it's pitiful, but the traffic, GOD. People do not know how to drive a car here.

The tourist side of town is disgusting though, International Drive is the WORST part of any city I've ever been to. It's a clusterfuck of tourist attractions-vision obscured for the other side of the street so people are constantly rubbernecking trying to find their exact tourist attraction/hotel/chain restaurant that they could go to anywhere else in the country, driving 15 miles under the speed limit as a result, and then all the tourists decide to walk into/cross the street whenever they feel like-cars be damned. Every time I end up on that street I end up cursing everything and their mother for good measure.

I absolutely loved living in Chicago, always something to do, the right amount of attitude mixed with just a little of midwestern nicenesss, more amazing museums than you could ever want, every major music act stops in Chicago, nightlife like you wouldn't believe, an amazing theater and arts district, and my favorite skyline I've seen anywhere.

I really loved DC, I'd love to spend more time there.

I HATED Miami. I don't know if it was just because my mom favors South Beach and always wanted to go there, but I couldn't stand staring at all that art deco all the time.

I think San Francisco ranks as my #1 pick, with San Diego a close #2 in the US.

My absolute favorite is Jasper, Alberta though. Lots to do, places to shop, tremendous scenery. Yeah.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

Love Chicago, NYC, Washington DC, Toronto, New Orleans, parts of Miami. I even like Dallas and Houston to an extent.

Cities I hate - Jacksonville, Tampa (HATED living there), Los Angeles (too crowded and dirty), Memphis, Oklahoma City, and I hate Phoenix for almost the same reasons DAP does. Too hot and all the weirdness of Florida without the humidity. Never understood how 4 Million people live there, but to each their own.

Orlando isn't too bad when you're away from the tourist areas and as odd as it sounds, a pretty cosmopolitan city and felt faster than Tampa even though Orlando is smaller. I've always loved the charm of Winter Park. But I think I'd get easily bored living in Orlando quickly.

I currently live in Atlanta and I have a love-hate relationship with this place. Hate the traffic, in-fighting, retarded politics, and the whole fake it till you make it element here. Love the weather, location, and scenery and the charm.
    NoDayButToday likes this.

Loved: Washington DC, Luxembourg City, Hong Kong, Sydney, Perth, San Jose and Las Vegas.

Hated: Port Headland, Chicago, Meridian MS, Orlando
    Osakan likes this.
    Good luck getting a cat to do anything let alone join in on your sexcapades. - Air Quotes

Quote Originally Posted by NoDayButToday View Post
    I don't get too many tourists on my side of town, not too many want to go downtown Orlando because it's pitiful, but the traffic, GOD. People do not know how to drive a car here.
    I spent a week at Coco Beach and did the NASA experience. I thought the whole area was just so beautiful. Everything looked so well groomed and the roads all looked like new. I saw Orlando from a distance as we left the airport. It did not look like somewhere this hayseed from Idaho should venture. I've since lived in downtown Seattle, so I think I could handle it now lol!
    I would definitely go back. Maybe next time not in July! But the small part of Florida I did see was awesome. I loved it.

Meryl doesn't even try anymore. She just calls Lanvin and asks for curtains with a belt.~Bitter
    Can we interest you in Leann Rimes? She has a nice little cadre of fans you'd probably enjoy.~ Pecan Pie

Also hated, sorry to say, Tokyo. Busy, loud, people are rude on the trains. Very easy to get sensory overload.
    Good luck getting a cat to do anything let alone join in on your sexcapades. - Air Quotes

Winter Park is wonderful, whenever my parents visit we spend more time there than actually in Orlando.

I'm split on Tampa, my sister lived in some of the awful parts, but we have friends in other ones that aren't so bad (Ybor City is fun to spend time in, for example), and I like part of the "downtown" area better than Orlando's (maybe because the areas I've been in were near the hockey arena when I went to see the Lightning play), plus Tampa's proximity to beaches is better than Orlando's, Clearwater is amazing. I'm actually headed back to that area on Tuesday to go to the aquarium with the BF and are talking about hitting the beach afterwards.

Quote Originally Posted by sprynkles View Post
    I spent a week at Coco Beach and did the NASA experience. I thought the whole area was just so beautiful. Everything looked so well groomed and the roads all looked like new. I saw Orlando from a distance as we left the airport. It did not look like somewhere this hayseed from Idaho should venture. I've since lived in downtown Seattle, so I think I could handle it now lol!
    I would definitely go back. Maybe next time not in July! But the small part of Florida I did see was awesome. I loved it.
    A lot of my feelings about the "pitiful" downtown is probably because I'm coming from Chicago. There just isn't a comparison. It's like they tried to have a true downtown, but there isn't really much there aside from the Amway Center and a few bars. It's like all the bad parts about living in downtown Chicago (no parking anywhere, terrible traffic, high homeless population) with none of the benefit!

My Navy basic training was in Orlando. Guess that is why I don't care for it. Lots of bad memories. Plus, I got food poisoning at SeaWorld.

Haven't been to too many places I really didn't like- LA, Detroit- but right outside the city it was nice. Milan isn't one of my favorites, just because it's so much more industrial than the rest of Italy. A few places in China had nothing to offer.

But i can usually find something interesting about a place, even in a city that sucks.
    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

BITTER, what was it about Chicago that you didn't like? There were things about it that I liked (great food, museums, big city things to do ), but I couldn't see myself living there. Too cold in the winter, too much crime in parts of town, lots of segregation, and I get a weird vibe in the Midwest in general, but that's just me.

I'm surprised so many people love Chicago. I hate it and am trying my damndest to leave it. Some of that is for personal reasons, but I also think it's cold, miserable and most of what was interesting about it has gone away. The museums are nice, though. I'll miss that and Italian beef when I leave.

If I could afford NYC, I'd move there, but I probably will head for warmer climes down South somewhere. Actually Hustle, I've been eying the Atlanta area for years. I didn't get to spend too much time there, but I love Georgia.

DAP, the thing about Myrtle Beach made me laugh. The only redeeming thing was the ocean.

I try to find something positive everywhere I go, too.
    DAP likes this.
    Gross, put it away. You could dress beautifully but you gotta be Miss Granny Panty Whore.
    ~Manx Mouse

Life is a hell of a thing to happen to a person.

A*O

Hate Orlando but love Miami. Haven't been to Vegas yet but suspect I will love it in a bad way. It's on my list. Love NYC (who doesn't). Hate Toronto but love Montreal and Vancouver. Love Hong Kong, hate Singapore. LOVE Paris
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information