Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Small Wedding in Italy

Default Small Wedding in Italy

Got a very good friend who's engaged to be married. Both her and her fiance would like to get married in Italy (they don't live there nor speak Italian) and stay there for the honeymoon. She says it's a "small" wedding, about 40-60 guests. She has no idea how to pull this off and asked me to help because I "know Italy" (been there 100 times). I have some places in mind where the wedding can be held but I have no idea what to do other than spot a place on the map. How 50 people are going to fly over to Italy for a wedding and for how long they would stay there? Should they pay for the flight and hotel (plus food, transportation etc.) themselves or should the young couple pay some? Should the wedding be and then at night everyone go back to their hotel? Should all be in the same hotel? Can it be arranged? What are the costs?

I'm pretty clueless. Anyone have experience with this?

One thing I know for sure- It's gonna be freaking fun!

fgg

where does your friend live that she thinks that 40-60 people are going to be able to fly to italy and stay long enough to make the trip worth it? not the US, right?
    can't post pics because my computer's broken and i'm stupid

Quote Originally Posted by fgg View Post
    where does your friend live that she thinks that 40-60 people are going to be able to fly to italy and stay long enough to make the trip worth it? not the US, right?
    No, not the states

Even further from Italy than the U.S.? I tend to think people having destination weddings are extremely self-centered.
    Last edited by Ravenna; July 18th, 2012 at 02:36 PM.
    McJag, sluce, DeadDwarf and 1 others like this.

^She doesn't live further, she lives much closer (Cyprus)

I have traveled to destination weddings but in my case it was just to Greek islands from Athens so the costs were not huge. I covered my traveling expenses and the couple had arranged for accommodations with a better rate for wedding guests so we had to pay some money for that too but not have to look for a place to stay ourselves. It is more or less understood that if a couple makes you go into all those expenses they shouldn't expect a very fancy gift.
    autumn likes this.
    What if Superman is psychotic and everyone can see that he's Clark Kent but they just play along not to set him off?

I live in Italy, so if you need any help just give me a shout.
    When is the wedding going to happen and how big is their budget?
    Venice is obviously amazing, but it might be a tad too expensive.
    I think Tuscany is the best option: beautiful place, great food, nice people and you are close to both historical buildings and nature.

This is San Gimignano, a place in Tuscany, near Siena San Gimignano Siena Tuscany Italy
    the city is beautiful (completely enclosed in Medieval walls and streets and buildings are from medieval times) and it's surrounded by great countryside.

They could stay in a "Agriturismo", which is a farm house and get great local, organic food, a relaxing environment and good prices.
    Brookie and McJag like this.

^I don't know about the specific date but she said "probably fall" because costs supposed to be cheaper in the the fall. It's pretty also
    Been to Siena, beautiful town, I will recommend it to her. Thanks for the advice!

czb

i went to a wedding in italy once, it was pretty small (<60 people) and it was amazing. the wedding party put us up in a b&b type place for a few nights. they paid for it for the guests who had to travel from out of town but i did not expect this. we flew from the US so we stayed for >1 week. most of the attendees were from italy or other countries nearby so stayed for the weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenna View Post
    I tend to think people having destination weddings are extremely self-centered.
    I sometimes take it as that they don't want anyone there that isn't family, so they can invite people that might otherwise be offended by not getting an invite and be reasonably sure they won't shell out for the trip to attend. It's also a good way to invite people to showers and the wedding and receive gifts, but not have to deal with many making the trip to the wedding or having to pay a lot for the reception.

Of course not everyone has that as an agenda, but I've known several people to put voice to it being their real motive.
    Beeyotch and *DIVA! like this.
    “What are you looking at, sugar-tits?” - Mel Gibson

czb

^^^ really? that's terrible.

i always assumed that people just wanted to have a week of fun and adventure.

Quote Originally Posted by czb View Post
    ^^^ really? that's terrible.

i always assumed that people just wanted to have a week of fun and adventure.
    Most probably do.
    “What are you looking at, sugar-tits?” - Mel Gibson

Quote Originally Posted by Laurent View Post
    I sometimes take it as that they don't want anyone there that isn't family, so they can invite people that might otherwise be offended by not getting an invite and be reasonably sure they won't shell out for the trip to attend. It's also a good way to invite people to showers and the wedding and receive gifts, but not have to deal with many making the trip to the wedding or having to pay a lot for the reception.

Of course not everyone has that as an agenda, but I've known several people to put voice to it being their real motive.
    Never thought of that that way. I know my friend really just wants family and close friends there becuase then it's more intimate and after the wedding they all can travel abit and have a good time. You can't do it with 100 of guests.

Quote Originally Posted by autumn View Post
    ^I don't know about the specific date but she said "probably fall" because costs supposed to be cheaper in the the fall. It's pretty also
    Been to Siena, beautiful town, I will recommend it to her. Thanks for the advice!
    No worries
    Another lovely place near Siena is San Galgano San Galgano.org - The Abbey of San Galgano with the Sword in the Stone. - There really exists only one sword in the stone, in all the world. It's S.Galgano's sword. We find it in Tuscany, not far from Siena, between the villages of Monticiano and Chi

There is a beatiful abbey

A sword in the stone from Medieval times

And the most beautiful fields of sunflowers I ever saw.

And it's near enough to Siena and other nice places.

^ Thanks! Looks great, I'm reading about it right now

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information