Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Worst Hellhole City

Default Worst Hellhole City

After reading through the Houston/Vegas thing in the 'sweatiest US cities' thread in the Beauty and Healthcare forum, just thought I would start a thread to let people vent about and nominate their most hated city.

Mine: Cincinnati! Too conservative, too racially divided, Ohio does not want it and Kentucky will not take it either! IT SUCKS!
    Don't slap me, cause I'm not in the mood!

Default Re: Worst Hellhole City

Los Angeles: The city of wasted dreams,overpopulated, side walks filled with stars whom whore themselves out, rich and tasteless
    Im ashamed to say what I did for a klondike bar...

A*O

Orlando, Florida: City Of The Damned
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Quote Originally Posted by A*O
    Orlando, Florida: City Of The Damned
    Aren't you the one who coined that wonderful term 'dismalworld'?

Hit By Ban Bus! UndercoverGator's Avatar

I agree with all of you but have to add a few others.

Poughkeepsie New York - nasty, gross and downtrodden without many redeeming characteristics.

Madison Virginia - Rural, filled with inbred rednecks who think that moonshining and listening to police band radio is entertainment.

Washington DC - Hollyweird for very ugly people

Sojiita I have to add to your Cincinatti thing. Cincy is one of the most boring places I've visited, it spawned some bad pop music and it has a dish named after it that I hate - Cincinatti Chili. Why waste good chili that way?

Altoona, Penna. Truly the armpit of the universe. Grinding poverty and a dirty, filthy environment. So depressing. My mother is from there, which explains a lot.
    Keep passing the open windows.

Quote Originally Posted by FierceKiten
    Los Angeles: The city of wasted dreams,overpopulated, side walks filled with stars whom whore themselves out, rich and tasteless
    I second Los Angeles. Tool got it right when they did Aenima.

Birmingham. Total freak zone scary and full of nutters.

Gold Member

Sojiita trying to cause problems? If I list American cities I'll insult a bunch of people on here. I'll play it safe and name one in England-Liverpool. The only place in the UK I disliked.

BTW Los Angeles rocks, it only sucks for the people who can't make it here!
    If you can't be a good example -- then you'll just have to be a horrible warning

Hit By Ban Bus! UndercoverGator's Avatar

I'll play it safe and name one in England-Liverpool. The only place in the UK I disliked.
    That and Plymouth seemed to be the very places you'd stick the nozzle if you were going to give the UK an enema...

Can't forget Det-rot..uh..Detroit..
    Salt Lake City! ask someone on the street if they know where a nearby bar or liquor store is and they(and everyone around) will look at you like you just asked to rape their children. Lighten up!

There are so many hellholes to choose from here in Canada. Let's see -- Sudbury, Ontario, if you want to experience what too many decades of nickel mining will do to a town; just about anywhere in the north -- sorry, it's 40 below all the fucking time, everything is ridiculously overpriced and there's nothing to do but sniff gas; Saint John, New Brunswick, hell, the whole province is owned by the Irving family who treats it as their very own toxic waste dump; and I could go on but I'll wind up by saying Toronto -- the most overrated city in the world, IMO. Get over your fucking selves!!! You're not a world-class city if you have to constantly remind people of it.

And I haven't even started on the U.S. and other Third World countries!

I agree with Sudbury for sure. I lived there for 6 months - it's just so bloody ugly. Train tracks strewn everywhere. And the people are... complacent, if nothing else. They generally have a fair bit of money - mining pays well - and no real desire to go anywhere else, since they couldn't live anywhere else making that kind of money and living for so cheap - it's the combination that produces the type of people who've never been outside their town and never care to be. They have it easy enough, and good enough, and generally look out for themselves and each other. Very small-minded, "the outside world has nothing to offer me" types. Well, and students, who hopefully will get out, and so don't really count.

Sault Ste. Marie sucks (I grew up there), for pretty much the same reasons. It has even less to offer than the Bury, being smaller, with a less thriving downtown core and a smaller student population. SSM's lakes and wilderness are also outside the city - at least in Sudbury you can live on, or walk to, a lake or beach. And there is absolutely no sense of pride in being from the Soo. Hell, there's downright shame, over the anti-French language movement of years ago, and some smaller local incidents ("Nude statues?! How could we let this happen? Won't somebody please think of the children?!"). The only good points of either of these towns is that living expenses are cheap, and there is some wilderness to be found.

As for Toronto, I would never consider it a "hellhole". And I'm not from here, I chose to be here only in the last couple of years, so I don't think I'm biased based on being a Torontonian. I do agree it is overrated, and a tourist's impressions of it are likely to be far more overwhelmingly positive than a resident's (I think Maxim rated it the "coolest" city on Earth, and I never really figured out why). It's just a big city. It's got some great stuff going on, and it is improving (eg. waterfront revitalization). It's got some bad points too. It's not the most amazing city on the plant, but a hellhole? I can't see how in a million years.

I thought Winnipeg seemed pretty disappointing, but I only spent a few hours there. Something about it rubbed me the wrong way, and it seemed like it stopped being pretty and charming as soon as you left the downtown core.

Barrie, ON seems bland and kind of pointless, but again, I haven't lived there. I know it appeals to a lot of college (note: college, not university ) kids who like to party. BF's bro lived there and loved it. It just seems very generic to me.

Thurso, Scotland seemed ugly, dark and oppressive at first, but I spent a few days there and grew to like it. Um... I'm positive I have more to add, but can't think of them at the moment... oh, except for Sault Ste. Marie, Michigan, which is basically like Soo, Ontario only much worse.
    Last edited by Tati; April 7th, 2006 at 11:15 PM.
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

I think you have to be from western Canada to understand why some of us view T.O. as a hellhole. I've lived there twice, and couldn't get out fast enough either time. Give me Montreal or Vancouver, but Trawna can go suck a you know what as Grimmy would say!

Ohhhhh, it's ON, NOW!

Most people I've known have loved Vancouver. BF lived there for a summer, and generally liked it, though he had one phenomenally dreadful experience that would pretty much scar anyone for life. This was before we got together, so I haven't seen it yet myself, but would like to. My best friend fell in love with it when he also lived there for a summer.

I've loved pretty much every city I've visited out west (well, except Winnipeg I guess), and did live there for a year actually (Edmonton). The weather was gorgeous (OMG, the SUNSHINE!), the people were super-friendly, there was enough of an artsy-liberal scene to satisfy me. I couldn't quite wrap my head around Edmonton's failing downtown (I guess Whyte Ave. and The Mall were too much competition, but still) - I would have loved to get involved with a city-planning committee there to see it revitalized. Still a great place though. Calgary seemed fun and a lot of the smaller towns were appealing too. (We spent some time just travelling and mountain climbing.) I would gladly live there again, we only moved for career purposes.

I generally like bigger cities because for the most part, you can make them whatever you want them to be. You can find anything you're looking for, whatever scene or "vibe" you want to be a part of, and you have access to events and cultural experiences. What I like about TO is downtown/annex, U of T campus, and the prettier areas, I'll be honest. The environs are just sort of... meh. I've lived here twice as well (was out west in the interim), once at Jane & Finch. Not so much with the niceness, hehe.

I also really enjoy the true "country" and very small charming towns that manage to have a cohesive atmosphere and a sense of who they are. I love New England, for example. What I really can't stand are the mid-sized towns that think they're cities but aren't, and are terrified of any change or outside infulence, while at the same time lacking any real identity. Those to me are the hellholes and I HATE that I was born and raised in one. I feel like I missed out on a lot and do not want to give my kids that experience. I hear so many people say that places like Sudbury and the Soo are such great places to raise kids, and I just shake my head in disbelief.

Tangents are fun! Maybe we should also start a 'Bestest City Ever' thread.
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information