Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scotland

Default Scotland

My bf is wanting to book one of those guided tours of the Scottish Highlands.

Anyone ever done this?

Suggestions, tips or advice?

Maybe not, but Karistiona is from Scotland and Novice lives on the border, so they may have some advice on what to do.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Tip: Don't go near Nov's backyard, she gets ornery about it.

i am dying to go to scotland, so definitely do it!
    but personally i hate guided tours unless it's to places where you absolutely need an experienced guide - like long hikes in the mountains where you could get lost and stuff. so i would skip the guided tour part, buy a book on the highlands, rent a car or something and do it on my own. but that depends on your preferences and stuff i guess and i'm antisocial and hate organised activities unless it's a group of friends and we choose what we want to do and it isn't part of some package deal.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

yeah, it's the guided thing i'm not so sure of.. i don't like to be rushed and on a time schedule when doing things like that..

he wants to see some of the castles and culloden moor.. i'd love to see all of that myself, but at my own pace!

i lived in edinburgh for 10months and went for one guided one day busstour to loch ness, it was one of those haggis tours. got to go there for free.

i loved highlands, guided tours are kinda bumfucks though, i would love to go just around in a car and camp around. it is definetly worth going and make sure u go to edinburgh as well, that city is wicked, one of the best places i have ever lived.
    we don't have to make love to have an orgasm

Yeaaaah come to Scotland! How do you feel about driving over here? You'd probably get on better if you felt up to hiring a car and driving around the place, you'd get to see a load of stuff you'd miss on the bus tours. I've never actually been on a bus tour myself since I live fairly near the highlands but the thing about going up North is that it's really hard to get lost because usually there's only one road to each place you're visiting, and the place is liberally sprinkled with castles so you can stop at the ones you want to see.
    I smile because I have no idea what's going on

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

I used to go to a rally in Scotland every year at Moniaive but other than that I haven't had much opportunity to explore Scotland. I did go to Wanlockhead on one visit though and visited the industry museum there (mining and gold) and the scenery I saw during the ride there and back made it worth the trip. Beautiful, beautiful place, even when its drizzling on you.
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. Hunter S Thompson

How big would a T-Rex wang be?! - Karistiona

We went to Scotland for a week in June and LOVED it. We were mostly in Edinburgh and the surrounding areas- we didn't really have time to do the highlands with a toddler. But it was splendid, really. Edinburgh is a gorgeous city, the countryside is beautiful, and there are lots of interesting things to see and do. And the people were so friendly and polite it made me want to live there.

We want to go back one day and see the highlands too. But I would not do a guided tour. You don't get a proper feel for places that way, imo. You don't get to meet the locals and you have to let someone else decide what to see and when.

And now for my invaluable tip: bring rain clothes, lol. The weather was the only thing I did not love about Scotland.

I want to stress again about the people. I loved the Scots. I've never encountered such a polite and friendly bunch anywhere.

We walked (and partly hitch-hiked) the West Highland Way in 2003; we went from start to finish, Milngavie to Fort William, then hitched a ride across to Inverness and from there walked, hitched and ferried up to the Orkneys (and once there, more walking, more hitching, and one bus ride). We went back in 2008 but saw more of the cities and the Hebrides that time. Our friend drove us through the Highlands a bit and I couldn't believe how quickly it went by! It felt so expansive as we were walking it.

I would highly recommend the trip but I think you'd miss so much on a guided tour! Stopping in at pubs and cafés (usually to get out of the rain), meeting other walkers along the trails, taking in the scenery - these were the best parts, imo. One night we pitched our tent inside the ruins of Inverlochy castle. We camped in some farmer's fields as well but always got their permission first! Our first night there, we pitched our tent on a hillside not realizing that it would become a waterfall overnight. We woke up freezing with our tent floating on a pool of frigid water. Every few nights we'd actually find a pay campsite, hostel or B&B and grab a nice shower (and dry out), lol.

Definitely bring rain clothes, and I agree, it's nearly impossible to get lost, as Karistiona said. If you're open to hitch-hiking at all, it's the place to do it. We got literally twenty rides in our time over there, never waited more than an hour, and met some of the most amazing characters. The people are just amazing.
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

^^^
    so jealous! that's pretty much what i'd like to do too. how long was your first trip?
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

^ I knew you'd appreciate it, Sput!

Our first trip was three weeks, our second was about two, I think. Not really long enough, but not too bad actually - it's a pretty small country after all!
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

well when i finally get to go i will be pestering you for tips.

thanks for all of the input!

i think we're going to stay in the inverness area and go out from there

we will have a little over 2 weeks! i'm so excited!!

Lucky you! Have fun.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information