Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Suggestions wanted for family beach vacation

Default Suggestions wanted for family beach vacation

Trying to find a decent beach to take the tribe to in February 2012 during school winter break.

I have 2 smallish kids (who will be 8 & 5 then), and only about 6 days to spend on this vacation, so I need to keep it semi close to the eastern U.S. (even though I would truly love to go to Bora Bora!).

A few places that my hub and I have brought up are: Atlantis in Bahamas (which we went to ourselves and loved), Key West in Florida, Cancun, etc.

Never been to Key West and am unsure how easy it is to get to--can you fly right into it or have to drive from Miami area? I've been to Cancun also and while its affordable, I guess I would prefer not to go there...

Atlantis was really fun, and has so many great things to do, especially with kids, but I have a feeling they may still be a tad bit young to do those things...

So, any suggestions along those lines? I've never been to Jamaica, Aruba or any of the ABC islands but am open to hearing about them if anyone else has gone there.

Dominican Republic, Puerto Rico, Riviera Maya.

Sigh - I wish I was at the beach!

personally i would go to the yucatan peninsula. not to cancun though - it's horrendous. but tulum and the surrounding areas are absolutely gorgeous and you can do beach stuff and go see some incredible mayan ruins and cenotes.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

If you've got passports, what about Belize? Its wonderful and pretty cheap.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Yup, we all have Passports. Went yesterday to talk to our Travel Agent and of course we are going when it will be very busy (most schools are off) and there doesn't seem to be many 'deals'....which kinda pisses me off.

Leaning towards Turks & Caicos (or however you spell it). Not sure...pretty damn expensive--all of it.

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    personally i would go to the yucatan peninsula. not to cancun though - it's horrendous. but tulum and the surrounding areas are absolutely gorgeous and you can do beach stuff and go see some incredible mayan ruins and cenotes.
    I have a friend who keeps going back there as well. I think they rent a beach house in Merida? I've never been myself, but he highly recommends it.
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

My dad took the kids to the Round Hill Hotel in Jamaica earlier this year. They have a kids club, and my brother and sister really liked it. Not sure of the prices.

You can fly into Key West, depending on where you're coming from. It's not on Key West, but Hawk's Cay is a pretty cool place for a vacation with young kids.
    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Jealous! A few years ago we went to the Bahamas and stayed in a more off the beaten track hotel, but were able to go spend days at Atlantis. It was kind of best of both worlds in my mind.
    If i hear one more personal attack, i will type while drunk, then you can cry! - Bugdoll
    (716): I'd call her a cunt, but she doesn't seem to have the depth or warmth
    Quote Originally Posted by shedevilang View Post
    (Replying to MontanaMama) This is some of the smartest shit I ever read

Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    My dad took the kids to the Round Hill Hotel in Jamaica earlier this year. They have a kids club, and my brother and sister really liked it. Not sure of the prices.

You can fly into Key West, depending on where you're coming from. It's not on Key West, but Hawk's Cay is a pretty cool place for a vacation with young kids.
    I want to go to Key West so bad! I have a highschool friend who lives there (and he bartends too!) and it just looks so fun and cool. Someday! My Travel Agent actually said it would probably be just as expensive to go there, than to an Island....and while it will probably be warm in February, no guarantee. So, she kinda talked me out of it I guess. But SOMEDAY!

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

all sound like nice options Lynnie; your kids are lucky

Quote Originally Posted by AliceInWonderland View Post
    all sound like nice options Lynnie; your kids are lucky
    They are at really great ages--but as I mentioned, still a bit young for some things (ie; snorkeling, jetskiing, etc) but we really want to do some fun things with them while they are at these ages...and while they still like us lol!

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

lol well those are all great suggestions, I'm sure they'll love whichever you choose - for kiddies I lean towards Mexico though

never been to Turks & Caicos but I hear nice things, in Mexico though, its cheap, a lot of people come up to you on the beach w/ stuff for kids like kites, hair braiding and painting ceramics, etc. there's pools and the ocean too - plus the culture

fgg

lynnie - go to key west when it is just you & your husband (if that's possible...). it really isn't a place for children, i don't think.

i would look for one of those all-inclusive resorts for families, regardless of where it is. they have them in mexico, DR, jamaica, etc. they have tons of activities and you would know exactly how much you guys are spending because the fun, food and drinks (vodka for you) would be included in the price.
    can't post pics because my computer's broken and i'm stupid

Quote Originally Posted by LynnieD View Post
    Yup, we all have Passports. Went yesterday to talk to our Travel Agent and of course we are going when it will be very busy (most schools are off) and there doesn't seem to be many 'deals'....which kinda pisses me off.

Leaning towards Turks & Caicos (or however you spell it). Not sure...pretty damn expensive--all of it.
    We flew over it a few years ago and I told my husband we were going there someday. LOL I've read a lot of reviews about T&C. Seems the secret is getting out about it.

We went to the Dominican (Punta Cana). It's almost entirely made up of all inclusive resorts which can be good and bad. The beaches are awesome. They're huge, wide white sandy beaches. The water is clear like the Caribbean but you get some of the waves from the Atlantic. Snorkeling wasn't great though. You can get lots of great deals there if you look around.

We also went to St. John which is just fantastic. It's pricey (or can be) but damnit if it isn't heaven on earth. Lots of people get villas and rent a car. The island is tiny and is made up of two towns on each end of the island. It's incredibly lush and gorgeous. The beaches are amazing and the snorkeling is the best I've ever seen (not that I'm an expert). We stayed at Caneel Bay which was pricey but great for a first trip there. They have seven of the best beaches on the island and they are only used for CB customers (except for Honeymoon Beach which was my favorite). We're saving our pennies to go back. It's great for kids too. THe water is calm and CB has a TON of water sports/activities.

Have you looked at Cayman Islands? There's a submarine and the turtle farm, and the beaches are nice.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information