Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need suggestions for driving vacation in August

Default Need suggestions for driving vacation in August

So we're thinking about a last minute trip with three kids (6, 3, 1 year old) in August. We normally start saving a year in advance but, since this is impromptu, we're going to have to go on the cheap.

We'll probably start our trip around Omaha and will most likely drive. Any suggestions for great family spots in the Midwest? We've got a DVD player in the car so we think the kids will handle driving a fair distance.

The other option is to find some great last minute hotel/travel deal online. Any suggestions for reputable sites?

You're not too far from the Black Hills. It's quite the historical/tourist spot and if you can handle camping with the tots (although there are hotels, et al) it could be very cost effective. If you time it right, you could also join all the fun of Sturgis! Ok, that's more adult fun, but they seem to have great concerts.
    If i hear one more personal attack, i will type while drunk, then you can cry! - Bugdoll
    (716): I'd call her a cunt, but she doesn't seem to have the depth or warmth
    Quote Originally Posted by shedevilang View Post
    (Replying to MontanaMama) This is some of the smartest shit I ever read

How about the Dells.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

fgg

Quote Originally Posted by Bellatheball View Post
    The other option is to find some great last minute hotel/travel deal online. Any suggestions for reputable sites?
    i like travelzoo. they send out a list of the top 20 deals each week and have a ton more on their site.

The week before, please take your car in and have it checked. Tires,too.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

MM, never been there but I hear it's great. It IS South Dakota though. LOL!

Sulce, thinking about the Dells actually!

Thanks fgg, will look into it.

McJag, if you only knew my husband. He has our Scott's Lawn Care program on his cell phone. There's no way we leave on any trip without having everything checked. LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by Bellatheball View Post
    McJag, if you only knew my husband. He has our Scott's Lawn Care program on his cell phone. There's no way we leave on any trip without having everything checked. LOL!
    A man after my own heart! My Dad was like that. I can't sleep if I have less than a half tank of gas in the car even now. What if there was a big emergency in the night?
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

The Dells are great, a lot of people from the Chicago area vacation up there. We used to every year when I was a kid, and there is a TON of tourist stuff to do and some really great waterparks (indoor and outdoor).

You can't do the Dells on the cheap. They rob you blind up there.

What about Minneapolis, you could go to Mall of America? Chicago can be done on a budget. St Louis also has a lot to do.

For cheap hotel sites, travelzoo is good. You could also try Kayak.
    RELIGION: Treat it like it's your genitalia. Don't show it off in public, and don't shove it down your children's throats.

Quote Originally Posted by louiswinthorpe111 View Post
    You can't do the Dells on the cheap. They rob you blind up there.

What about Minneapolis, you could go to Mall of America? Chicago can be done on a budget. St Louis also has a lot to do.

For cheap hotel sites, travelzoo is good. You could also try Kayak.
    Doesn't Mall of America have a giant playground? See to recall something about that. Never have been there.

Quote Originally Posted by McJag View Post
    The week before, please take your car in and have it checked. Tires,too.
    McJag, you crack me up!!

Have a great time, wherever you go Bella! My folks took us 3 kids on a cross country (driving) 3 wk vacation back in the late 70's. Looking back at it, it was a pretty major undertaking and I truy appreciate it now. I'm sure your kids will too. Have fun!!

Thanks girls. We were/are considering the Dells. As NoDay said, it's a tradition when you grow up in Chicago. It's become a very hokey lake town though so I'm waivering.

Hadn't thought of Minneapolis. Good idea. Thanks for all the recs on websites too. We'll be watching them!

Lynnie, are you on the mend?

We're thinking of hitting Jellystone in the fall. We'd go earlier, but the Viking really is heat intolerant, so we do most outdoorsy stuff in the spring or fall.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

You certainly don't have to worry about Yellowstone this "summer," I think they just opened all the roads this week and only 1-2 of the campgrounds are open because of the flooding/snow. It's traditionally 10-25 degrees cooler than where I am (about an hour away) and we haven't been into the 70s except for 1-2 days. Actually, with all the rain, snowpacks haven't even started to melt yet and most of Montana is already flooded...going to be a moist summer, assuming it ever gets to be summer.
    If i hear one more personal attack, i will type while drunk, then you can cry! - Bugdoll
    (716): I'd call her a cunt, but she doesn't seem to have the depth or warmth
    Quote Originally Posted by shedevilang View Post
    (Replying to MontanaMama) This is some of the smartest shit I ever read

We aren't going as far as Montana, just Wyoming, which we can get to in about five-six hours, and the next day or two drive a little farther in to see Old Faithful and the touristy stuff. But yeah, its still fairly cool here as well and there's still enough snowpack in the mountains that a couple of the ski resorts are planning on running the 4th of July weekend.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information