Thread: Southern California ideas?

Default Southern California ideas?

I'm planning on going to SoCal later this year. I plan to stay in Los Angeles for about 3-4 days and go down to San Diego for a weekend. I grew up in San Diego, but I haven't been back to Cali in years, and I'm trying to think of some good trip ideas.

- I plan on staying in Santa Monica at the hostel there. If anyone knows about it, let me know.

- Although Santa Monica will be my base, I want to explore other beaches. I've heard about the South Bay beaches (Redondo/Hermosa/Manhattan). Any ideas about good restaurants in that area?

- I plan on renting a car. I know traffic is a bitch in LA, but LA isn't New York, and I like to get around on my own rather than depend on others.

- The Grove. Tourist trap or worth going to go to?

- Is the Getty a good place to go for the day?

- Is the ocean warm in early May or is it still going to be cold?

- I'm not a club person. Are there some good bars where I can just chill for awhile?

- I plan on touring the Leimert Park area. I hear there are some good Jazz bars and shops selling African Art.

- I have no interest in going to Disneyland

- I might go to Universal

- Yes, I'm going to In-N-Out to get a 2x2 Animal Style

- Anything cool in San Diego that I need to take a look at? I'll probably be visiting friends in the area, so I won't be as much of a 'tourist' there

Thanks in advance!

Elite Member

I think it might be warm enough to swim--I guess it's all relative depending on where you're coming from.

I go to San Diego (where I'm from) once a year to visit my family. I haven't been to LA in forever, so I have no advice there. But the charm of being in SD for me is just chilling and not feeling like I have to do much. I spend as much time as I can by the beach (not necessarily sunbathing, just walking by the beach) and catch up on my favorite Mexican food. SD is way bigger and busier than when I lived there but I still don't feel like there are that many must-see destinations. Which is kind of relaxing in itself.

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

the ocean is never ever warm here! forget about it

Getty is great during the day and beautiful!

nice fun bars in west hollywood on santa monica blvd. and downtown by the staples center at LA Live now.

san diego is awesome, enjoy yourself there, so much to do and clean and nice

main street in santa monica is pretty cool for hanging out and having a stroll, and the santa monica pier/beach area of course is very enjoyable in the afternoon the mall down there is brand new and renovated too so bring your money! (if you want to shope here w/ our 9.75% sales tax that is)

me, i've been here 10 years and never went to the grove myself so cant comment on that! lol

Like Alice said, the ocean is NEVER warm!!

I say you should drive the coast from LA to Orange County before heading to San Diego. OC has great beach cities. Huntington, Newport, Corona Del Mar, Laguna and San Clemente. Not hoppin' during the day, but gorgeous and great places to eat.

You can't go wrong with Mexican food here, but steer clear of the chains and eat at some little place.

When I lived in LA I went to the Grove. It was fun, but so is the 3rd Street Promenade in Santa Monica.

Ahh my hometown of Santa Monica. Do not leave without having a Tommy's Original!

If you are in the Universal Studios area, try to stop by the Hollywood Bowl. It's a wonderful venue, you forget you are in a busy city. You can also bring a picnic lunch, how great is that?
    ...of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.

I miss San Diego, and its close proximity to Mexico.
    Good luck getting a cat to do anything let alone join in on your sexcapades. - Air Quotes

Thank you all for the advice! I've been really missing the West Coast and I figured I might as well go on out there to visit. The last time I was out that way was in 2003. I'll definitely take up everyone's advice.

I guess the ocean warmth issue is relative. I lived in Florida for awhile too, and if the water got below 70-75F, people would go batshit crazy, and I thought it was great! I know the Pacific is MUCH colder in the wintertime, but I guess that May is a transition time. By the coast, will "May Gray" be more of an issue earlier or later in the month (which goes into "June Gloom")?

Last year we had May Gray, June Gloom and a very chilly summer. It was dubbed the Bummer Summer. It was chilly and overcast most of the summer. Typically, June is worse than May so early May should be safe.

If you are serious about Black art, then your choice of Leimert is perfect. There's also a Jamaican restaurant on Leimert that is not hard to find. If not, eat at Coley's in Inglewood (which is just a little ways from L.A.), they have a great buffet of jerked chicken, curry, festival bread, veggies, etc (all you can eat and delicious).

The advice about the Mexican restaurants is right on! If you do not see a lot of Mexicans eating there then it's not good.

If you get a chance to get to Long Beach there is an exquisite African Art store called Village Treasures. You can google it.

Also, eating in Chinatown is really great. The most enjoyable restaurants are the store fronts but all are yummy and not commericial (Sweet and Sour Chicken still on most menus, though). My favorite Dim Sum restaurant is Ocean Seafood. It also has great froo-froo drinks, lol. But the food is so yummy (roast suckling pig, fried shrimp with pepper slivers, etc... Have fun...
    ...Stopped smoking on March 8, 2011. Was trying to put a fancy ticker in my signature but it didn't work...

Quote Originally Posted by eboni View Post
    If you are serious about Black art, then your choice of Leimert is perfect. There's also a Jamaican restaurant on Leimert that is not hard to find. If not, eat at Coley's in Inglewood (which is just a little ways from L.A.), they have a great buffet of jerked chicken, curry, festival bread, veggies, etc (all you can eat and delicious).

The advice about the Mexican restaurants is right on! If you do not see a lot of Mexicans eating there then it's not good.

If you get a chance to get to Long Beach there is an exquisite African Art store called Village Treasures. You can google it.

Also, eating in Chinatown is really great. The most enjoyable restaurants are the store fronts but all are yummy and not commericial (Sweet and Sour Chicken still on most menus, though). My favorite Dim Sum restaurant is Ocean Seafood. It also has great froo-froo drinks, lol. But the food is so yummy (roast suckling pig, fried shrimp with pepper slivers, etc... Have fun...
    Cool! I have family down in Torrance/Carson/Long Beach, so when I go down towards that way, I'll ask them about Village Treasures too.

Also, I LOVE Jamaican food, so you're talking to the right one, and I'll take the Chinatown suggestions into consideration too.

I know the best Mexican joints tend to be the neighborhood walk-ups. I used to go to one all the time when I lived in San Diego. The Mexican food here leaves a lot to be desired, but going to the places where the Mexican community goes to really helps.

Also, anyone know anything about Fish Tacos? I haven't had a decent one since I moved down South. I know Rubio's is everywhere in SoCal, but if you all have an idea of a local/storefront place, I'm all ears.

Casa Sanchez and here: Berth 55 Seafood Restaraunt & Deli, Serving Long Beach, Los Angeles and Southern California with Fresh Fish
    Don't pay attention to the spiffy website fool you, this is for real eating! It's where the fishing boats leave and dock. There's like a "fishing" bar next door or you can get a pitcher there at the taco place. Food is really great and fresh because it is a fish market too. I am so excited for you and posting about all these great places makes me want to cram them all in this weekend, lol. Seriously want that fish taco now!
    ...Stopped smoking on March 8, 2011. Was trying to put a fancy ticker in my signature but it didn't work...

Thread Information