Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pictures of the northern lights in Iceland by photographer Kristjan Unnar Kristjansso

Default Pictures of the northern lights in Iceland by photographer Kristjan Unnar Kristjansso

Dancing across the clear skies, the amazing Auroa Borealis are truly a sight to behold.
    Icelandic photographer Kristjan Unnar Kristjansson - also known as 'Kiddi' - has spent the last nine years capturing the kaleidoscopic light show in his native homeland.
    'These are some of my very favourite Aurora Borealis photos that I have taken in recent years,' said the 31-year-old from Reykjavik in Iceland.

Lighting up the stars tonight: The Northern lights at Hvalfjorour fjord in Akranes near Reykjavik change the look of the landscape completely

The Aurora Boralis over a golf clubhouse, and in the distance, the Second World War lighthouse, in Seltjarnes. Icelandic photographer Kristjan has spent the last nine years capturing the kaleidoscopic light show

The northern lights in Seltjarnarnes

'No words can properly describe the experience. Even though I've seen them now and again throughout my life, I'm still awe-inspired and flabbergasted every time they show up.'
    Also known as the northern and southern polar lights, the natural light displays are governed by sun storms and are usually observed at night.
    In northern latitudes the effect is known as the Aurora Borealis, named after the Roman goddess of dawn, Aurora, and the Greek name for the north wind, Boreas.
    Using highly sensitive cameras - and a lot of patience - Kristjan has gone to extraordinary lengths to capture the images.
    'It is really hard capturing them, as they require bright lenses, highly photosensitive cameras, warm clothes and a whole lot of luck,' he said.

Mackerel skies? Deep inside Hvalfjorour fjord in Akranes near Reykjavik, the amazing phenomenon is a sight to behold. Photographers need warm clothes and a lot of luck, says Kristjan

'Words can't describe the experience': Photographer Kiddi Kristjan with the northern lights in the background

'Flashlights are must-haves, especially when there's no moonlight, as the night can be pitch black.
    'I don't think anyone has ever captured a good aurora photo in their first try or even their second.
    'I try to have people, structures, landscapes in the picture as it gives the auroras authenticity, scale and value, at least in my opinion.'
    Even though Kristjan is lucky enough to sometimes see the auroras from just outside his apartment, he often takes trips out of Reykjavik in order to get the best pictures.
    'Getting good photos of them on the other hand can be tricky,' he said. 'So I often take trips outside of Reykjavik with a friend or two, and we take a drive to a remote, light-pollution free location.

'In total, I would estimate that I've driven somewhere around 10, 000-15, 000 kilometres while looking for them.'

Waiting for the light: At Hvalfjorour fjord, photographers wait patiently while their digital cameras gather light, in Mosfellsaer.

For Kristjan the there is no other natural phenomenon as experiencing the Aurora Borealis first hand. 'I recommend that everybody should try to visit Iceland, Norway, Greenland, Alaska or any other northern-latitude country for this purpose alone. The northern lights are something special,' he said.
    The auroras are with us all year round. In Iceland, the summers never go dark so you wouldn't be able to see them, even though they are there.
    'The auroras are governed by sun storms, which have been few and small in recent years. The last peak was in 2001, and the next peak is expected between 2013 - 2015.
    'I can tell they're getting stronger by looking at their colour,' says Kristjan. 'Usually they're just green/pinkish, but now we're seeing clear tones of red. I can't wait until my next aurora trip.'

Read more: A light show to beat all light shows: Sight of the awe-inspiring Aurora Borealis never fails to inspire lucky spectators in Iceland | Mail Online

W O W !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Spectacular photos.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

Cool!

A*O

Seeing the northern lights is at the top of my bucket list.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    You and me both. Last summer while on vacation, the "boys" of the group stayed up late one night (they were being obnoxious), but the next morning they were all atwitter about seeing the lights. I was so pissed they didn't wake me up.
    If i hear one more personal attack, i will type while drunk, then you can cry! - Bugdoll
    (716): I'd call her a cunt, but she doesn't seem to have the depth or warmth
    Quote Originally Posted by shedevilang View Post
    (Replying to MontanaMama) This is some of the smartest shit I ever read

Very pretty, thanks for sharing those pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post

Me, too.

Thanks for the pics honey, they're awesome.

I got to see them numerous times in Anchorage. One morning in the parking lot of the hospital where I worked, the janitor, my husband and I had the most fabulous light show known to man. We were in total awe. It was stunning. There is a sound you hear-like a whish whish sound, kind of like light sabers, not loud like lightening. It is soft as if to say-we are here if you look up. If you can witness this at all, you owe it to yourself.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

bee-you-ta-full

At Hvalfjorour fjord, photographers wait patiently while their digital cameras gather light, in Mosfellsaer.
    I so wish I could have been one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by McJag View Post
    I got to see them numerous times in Anchorage. One morning in the parking lot of the hospital where I worked, the janitor, my husband and I had the most fabulous light show known to man. We were in total awe. It was stunning. There is a sound you hear-like a whish whish sound, kind of like light sabers, not loud like lightening. It is soft as if to say-we are here if you look up. If you can witness this at all, you owe it to yourself.
    It makes sounds??? How cool. Did you live there?
    "I ransacked his drawers when he left me by myself at his place for the first time. That's how we did it in the good old days. Tells me all I need to know about him. He pretends he didn't notice. That's how good relationships start." - Chilly Willy

Wow. It looks like something out of a sci-fi movie.
    "Remember to always be yourself. Unless you suck." - Joss Whedon

"The only thing more expensive than education is ignorance." -Benjamin Franklin

i've always wanted to see this. awesome pictures.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Brookie View Post
    W O W !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Spectacular photos.
    i know! holy fuckin shit! i need to see this too in my lifetime get my whole family up in this shizz

I see pictures like this and get sad because I am afraid I will never get to see all the beauty of the world before I die.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

fgg

i SO want to see this in person! i guess i better plan a trip sometime in 2013-2015.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information