Thread: I'm in Germany celebrating Christmas and New Years. How do you celebrate?

Default I'm in Germany celebrating Christmas and New Years. How do you celebrate?

I've been to Germany before, but this time for Christmas. (I live in Philadelphia now)

Today is Christmas Eve, when the Germans Celebrate. I'm super excited to experince the way they do things for the holidays. The food, gift giving, etc.
    I'm here with my wonderful boyfriend. He's been living in the U.S for a bit over a year. He still has his apartment and everything here in Germany.

Anyway, the point of this thread is to talk about how different Christmas is Celebrated than in the U.S. vs other parts of the world. Of course, each family is different. He told me that kids don't wake up early in the morning to see what Santa has bought (picture the movie A Christmas Story where Ralphie and Andy go downstairs Christmas morning). All the Americans I know do that when they have kids, or were kids.
    For the New Year celebration I will be in Dusseldorf for the Senstation White Party. Me + 30,000 people partying in a huge arena.
    Happy Holidays everyone!! I'll let you know how things went. I know it will be great.

P.S. it's snowing outside!! White Christmas!!
    "Fashion is an art, but individuality is the key"

Mercy! You are doing Christmas up fine. What a wonderful trip!
    How is it German kids sleep late on Christmas??
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Quote Originally Posted by McJag View Post
    Maybe there's less focus on consumerism?

Or as it was in my family, the threat of physical violence? You DID NOT get your ass out of bed to do anything other than pee, until a parent came for you on Christmas morning.

All four of us would huddle in bed together waiting patiently as we could. Generally, my mom came for us at 7:30 or so. Then we'd open our newspaper comic strip wrapped presents, which always included books and pratice workbooks say thank you.

Greek kids don't get their presents until the 1st of January. At least we had no idea that this was not the norm when we were little so we didn't care too much. I can't remember whether I would wake up super early, though just how cool it was that Santa came and got me all that.

Sound like fun. My husband and I don't have any kids at home. It's a quiet Christmas for us. I will go visit my family. Try the gluhwien while you are there in Germany. If you like wine then you will love this. Spicy and yummy!

Janet, I had some, which was great. Nothing in the U.S that I've have can comepare to the real deal.
    I've noticed homes are not covered in colorful lights, huge blow up lawn decorations, or competing with the neighbors to see who has the most lights. Not commercial.
    We were at his sister's home, who have children. We had cake, cookies, gluewihen (I know I spelled that wrong, don't feel like looking up the correct spelling)and coffee. We hung out for a good while talking, playing games and stuff.
    So the kids were out of the room with the parents. His sister came back in with wrapped gifts, then the kids came in really suprised and opened their gifts.
    It's not over though. We will visit his mothers house for more celebrating.

A*O

Down to the beach for a walk, fire up the barbie, have a few beers, open prezzies, cricket in the street this arvo. It's fun but it's not the same as a Christmas in winter. Oh well, cheers!
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

^which beach? Sounds fun! Can never go wrong with bbq and beers.

A*O

The beach at the end of my street in Melbourne, 'Straya
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

I'm cooking for tomorrow already. Everything I can make ahead of time, then pop the turkey in the roaster early am, maybe lay back down until the kid wakes me up to come see what's under the tree. Then about noon or so, family will start showing up, and we'll eat, drink and play (games with kids, music or movies) until everyone's exhausted and I'm shoving leftovers at them to take home.
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    Down to the beach for a walk, fire up the barbie, have a few beers, open prezzies, cricket in the street this arvo. It's fun but it's not the same as a Christmas in winter. Oh well, cheers!
    There was a game of street cricket going on in our little laneway when we got home from seeing the family this arvo. They even had the traditional empty beer carton as stumps. But it got too hot so they went off to find more beer. And that is Christmas in Australia. I'm sure there are a few thousand sunburnt British tourists passed out on Bondi Beach right about now.

I've had one winter Christmas and to me that felt all wrong. It's strange because we grow up with a vision of a white Christmas which is on all the cards, decorations and TV shows we're bombarded with. And yet Christmas in winter just didn't feel right.

Sounds like you're having a wonderful time, pinkbunnyslippers! Merry Christmas to you!!

We're here in the U.S. and only one of mine has gotten up so far (the oldest, who has no desire to wake his younger siblings ).... what in the heck is going on?

Tell me about it! I had to wake my own kid (now 12) up this morning. He's usually up before everyone on Christmas. He even went to bed hours before us. He must be on the verge of (another) growth spurt. I just woke up from an hour long turkey/wine/muscle relaxer coma. I have done something to my shoulder (rotator cuff at that) and it's been hurting me off and on for the last two days. But not enough to keep me from cooking.
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

Thank you Sweetness, I am.

Just visited another family today. Been here 4 days, and gone to one house each day.
    There wasn't a sight of turkey or honey glazed ham in site.
    It's still snowing.

My parents did it by not letting us open any pressies until after lunch. We had a little stocking with nuts fruit & some tiny toys to tide us over.
    Free Charmed.

Thread Information