Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: European vacation! Need ideas for stuff to see

Smile European vacation! Need ideas for stuff to see

So the parents of a friend of mine are in the UK for the foreseeable future; his mom's a stand up comic and has about a billion gigs booked over there. They're staying in their own flat in some place called Brighton, after having spent 3 months in Notting Hill.

My friend suggested we fly over, crash at their place (they're totally on board with it) and have fun in Europe. So we're thinking of hitting up London, Edinburgh, then Chunnel it over to Paris and finally ending up somewhere in Belgium.

So wtf do people see in London, Edinburgh, Paris and Belgium? I've never been to Europe before. Any Euros wanna give me a heads up?

p.s. I'm fluent in French so communicating in Paris/Belgium won't be a problem
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Awesomeness! I've heard lots of things about Brighton. It's supposed to be very lively and fun so you should take the time to check it out since you will be living there.

I'm just curious about something. Why Belgium? I've never been but I've never heard of anyone actually going there on a holiday and most people I know describe it as very boring. Is there a particular reason?

^ Yeah, a friend lives there and has a place we can crash
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Aha, very good reason then! He'll know the best things to do there

Grimm, Brighton is the gay capital of England! You'll love it Lol.
    There's tons to see in central London. It depends what kind of stuff you like to do? Are you someone who likes to go to art galleries? typical tourist spots? Theatre shows?

that's awesome, grimm. you're going to love it.
    london and paris are amazing, i will post a list of stuff later (at work right now) but belgium is smaller. and i don't think it's boring at all. i never used to really want to go to belgium but my uncle moved there and since then i've visited him maybe 10 times and fallen in love with brussels and the country in general.

you have to go to brussels, of course. i love that city and it's very underrated for some reason. the downtown area is gorgeous and compact so you can easily walk around. just wander around for hours, it's the best way to see it.
    but be sure not to miss ixelles either. rent a bike and just wander around, it's full of gorgeous architecture, art nouveau homes, etc.
    matongé is the african neighbourhood and is super interesting and saint-gilles is also awesome, full of cafés and galleries and little markets and stuff.
    you have to see all the usual stuff - the grande place, grote markt, mannekin pis, etc. but be sure to check out the atomium too, in all its retro-futuristic glory.

go eat chocolates at pierre marcolini (avenue louise)
    also, you have to go have a beer at à la mort subite (rue montagne aux herbes potagères), an awesome old bar that sells its own beers.

there are also some really good flea markets/brocante/antique markets. the poshest (but great to see and take photos in) is in le sablon (i think it's only on weekends though) but there's an awesome one but i can't for the life of me remember where it is right now (possibly saint-gilles, but when you get there, ask around and people will know, or consult the guide book and i'm sure it will appear).

walk around the area where the european parliament is and the big huge park that's there (can't quite remember the name right now) that kind of divides the old centre from the newer part where the parliament and stuff are.

you also have to go to antwerp. it's the capital of belgian fashion (dries van noten, ann demeulmeester, martin margiela, etc) and it's full of awesome design shops and galleries and it's a beautiful city. you have to see the hidden street vlaeykensgang, the theatre, check out the shops in and around the kammenstraat, go to the fashion museum, wander around, etc.

if you have time, you should also go to bruges. it's ridiculously touristy to the point of being almost artificial but it's like the belgian venice, full of canals and beautiful old architecture so it's kind of a must-see.

ghent is also very pretty and has a great art museum.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Quote Originally Posted by Sarzy View Post
    Grimm, Brighton is the gay capital of England! You'll love it Lol.
    There's tons to see in central London. It depends what kind of stuff you like to do? Are you someone who likes to go to art galleries? typical tourist spots? Theatre shows?

Yeah, I hear Brighton is kinda artsy and bohemian or something.

As for London, I'd like to see the typical touristy stuff.. Big Ben, the circus thingy, Trafalgar Square, blah blah. You *have* to do that stuff, just like you *have* to see the Empire State building and Statue of Liberty in NYC.

But after that, I'd love to see some galleries, shops, fun streets, little hidden gems and whatever else the smelly old girl has to offer.

I love London! Go to Picadilly Square... that is a touristy thing to do and have your picture taken in one of those red phone booths

Damn, thanks Sput!

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    As for London, I'd like to see the typical touristy stuff.. Big Ben, the circus thingy, Trafalgar Square, blah blah. You *have* to do that stuff, just like you *have* to see the Empire State building and Statue of Liberty in NYC.

But after that, I'd love to see some galleries, shops, fun streets, little hidden gems and whatever else the smelly old girl has to offer.
    Yep typical tourist spots are good - Big Ben, Tower of London, London Eye, Buckingham Palace, Madame Tussauds etc.

Covent Garden is a nice little place, it has some nice little shops, street performers etc. Oxford Street has a ton of shops.
    Tate Modern is a good gallery to visit. Also the National History Musemn (good Dinosaur exhibition, life sized Blue Whale that scared the cr*p out of me as a kid lol)
    I'll try and think of some hidden little places to post later. Here's a link to some markets and attractions.
    London Markets - Camden Market, Portabello Rd market, Borough Market & Spitafield Market.

SVZ

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    Yeah, I hear Brighton is kinda artsy and bohemian or something.

You can walk and see ALL of central london in a morning or an afternoon

start at bond station, walk on oxford street to oxford circus, then to tottenham court road, to leicester square, to piccadilly square, down to trafalgar square, the national gallery, then head to charing cross, the embankment, walk to westminster, see big ben, cross westminster bridge, see the london eye, and cross back on the golden jubilee bridge to victoria station.

i walked that pretty much everyday when that douchebag dumped me.

SVZ

also find grosvenor square, it's near bond street. it's beautiful

it's like a raised little park

In Edinburgh, I would just spend some time walking around, shopping, window-shopping, stopping in cafes, etc. Head to Candlemaker Row/Grassmarket/George Street area and just soak it in. Check out the Royal Mile stretch as well. There are charming streets and storefronts, great shops, and, yes, even good food, coffee, and of course, pubs. There is some good clubbing, including a few gay clubs.

Bring your camera, there are a lot of great shots waiting to be taken, the closes connecting streets and whatnot. You could check out the castle and museums if that interests you. I don't remember being particularly excited by the castle, but then I tend to prefer the crumbling ruined ones.
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

You cunts are a veritable fountain of information

sput to the rescue! Now I want to go to Belgium, lol.

I second Tate Modern, I fell in love with it. And in Paris, go on the Arc de Triomphe at night. The view is spectacular.

How long are you going to stay in Europe?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information