Thread: A “Secret” NYC Subway Stop

fgg

Default A “Secret” NYC Subway Stop

A “Secret” Subway Stop

By Mike Krumboltz mike Krumboltz – Tue Nov 9, 2:16 pm ET

Hidden deep under New York City, a "secret" subway stop is drawing visitors. The Big Apple's City Hall station, a beautiful structure that opened in 1904, but has been out of use for decades, can be seen by riders ... if they know how to make the journey. Check out these photos below, courtesy of John-Paul Palescandolo.

Click image to see New York's City Hall subway station.

John-Paul Palescandolo & Eric Kazmirek

Jalopnik writes that if you want to check out this long-forgotten station, one of the "most gorgeous gems in the world of mass transit," you'll have to take the 6 train and then stay on board. Jalopnik elaborates, "The 6 train used to make all passengers leave the train at the Brooklyn Bridge stop, but no longer. If you have a little extra time, you can stay on the train and view the City Hall station as the train makes its turnaround."

So why was the station closed so many years ago? Motobullet explains that the station's curved tracks played a part in its closure. When subway cars moved their doors to the center, it "created an dangerous gap between the exit point on the train and the platform." There were plans to make the stop into a transit museum, but security concerns, especially following the events of 9/11/01, put the plan in limbo.

Now, though, folks who take a little extra time amid New York's hustle and bustle can spy the station with their own eyes.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_newsro...et-subway-stop

neat!

wow def will check it out next time i am in nyc. what a place!

I am such a fatass that when I read the title I automatically thought it was talking about a secret Subway sandwich place. Fuck.
    (276): Michelle Duggar likes to fuuuuck
    OK, I can't sing, I can't act, I'm dumb, I'm a hillbilly, but I can twerk, so whatever.-Miley Cyrus

I'm kinda mad they keep publicizing this, because now it'll be touristy. If enough people do it they might get nervous for security reasons (it's right next to/under city hall) and not allow anyone to ride the loop after a bit. I hope this won't happen, because it is really cool.
    here I am, rock you like a hurricane.

Quote Originally Posted by nancydrew View Post
    I am such a fatass that when I read the title I automatically thought it was talking about a secret Subway sandwich place. Fuck.
    I read it the same way too! That being said, that is some beautiful architecture.
    Did you know that an anagram for "Conscious Uncoupling" is "Iconic Uncool Pus Guns"? - MohandasKGanja

How cool. I will definitely check this out.
    Hello mother fucker! when you ask a question read also the answer instead of asking another question on an answer who already contain the answer of your next question!
    -Bugdoll-

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

wasn't this in the Ghostbuster movie? or some movie.... yes its gorgeous though

Quote Originally Posted by nancydrew View Post
    Me too, then I saw the pictures and decided that "no fucking way" was I going to walk that far for a goddamn sandwich.

Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

Thread Information