Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SkyRider airline seats pack fliers into 23 inches of space

Default SkyRider airline seats pack fliers into 23 inches of space

SkyRider airline seats pack fliers into 23 inches of space - USATODAY.com

Think your seat in coach is cramped? Take a look at the SkyRider.

The new airplane seat, to be unveiled next week at the Aircraft Interiors Expo Americas conference in Long Beach, would give passengers an experience akin to riding horseback.

They'd sit at an angle with no more than 23 inches between their perch and the seat in front of them a design that could appeal to low-cost airlines that have floated the idea of offering passengers standing-room tickets on short flights.

The SkyRider isn't headed for an airplane cabin just yet. But its designer, Aviointeriors, an aircraft seat design firm based in Latina, Italy, says several airlines, including some in the U.S., have expressed interest.

"We feel extremely confident that this concept will ... have great appeal to airlines for economic purposes," says Dominique Menoud, director general of Aviointeriors Group.

The SkyRider could be its own class of seating, like business or coach, Menoud says. Passengers would likely pay lower fares. But airlines could boost their profits because the narrowly spaced seats would allow them to squeeze more fliers on board.

"For flights anywhere from one to possibly even up to three hours ... this would be comfortable seating," he says. "The seat ... is like a saddle. Cowboys ride eight hours on their horses during the day and still feel comfortable in the saddle."

The novel design may draw interest especially from two overseas carriers that have entertained the idea of providing no seats at all.

Ryanair, the Irish low-cost carrier that has set trends such as charging for in-flight meals, has said it would let passengers stand during flights if the Irish Aviation Authority would allow it.

And last year, Spring Airlines, a low-cost carrier in China, tried to get the OK from regulators to redesign its planes to accommodate some standing passengers.

But Gaetano Perugini, Aviointeriors' director of research and development who created the SkyRider, emphasizes that the firm isn't proposing that passengers be on their feet.

"Even though the (distance between seats) is extremely narrow, we are talking about seats, not about ... having passengers simply standing on the floor," he says. "You are sitting on a special seat, but it is a seat."

The seats will offer storage space as well, including a shelf for carry-on bags, and hooks to hang a jacket or purse.

If a carrier commits to installing the new seats, Aviointeriors will apply to European aviation authorities and those in the United States for proper certification, Menoud says.

Les Dorr, a spokesman for the Federal Aviation Administration, which regulates air travel in the U.S., says he's not familiar with the SkyRider's particular design.

However, he says, "While it's not impossible, it's difficult to conceive of a standing seat that would be able to meet all applicable FAA requirements and still be cost-effective."

wait til kevin smith hears about this.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

A*O

I note that pic has the women in the front row so she has plenty of leg room. Let's see how she'd look crammed into the row behind. I would sell my kids to pay for business class if this becomes a standard coach seat.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

That woman looks uncomfortable. One bout of turbulence and she'll bounce right out of there.

getting up to go to the bathroom must be fun
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Elite Member

they look like highchairs almost and just as uncomfortable I'm sure. I'm 5' and airplanes don't have a ton of leg room i can't imagine anyone wanting to fly on this airline more than once.

I've got tailbone problems, just looking at this makes me want to take a Vicodin

That looks beyond uncomfortable. I cannot imagine sitting like that for hours on end on a flight.

A*O

Plus that woman is probably a size 2. A "standard" person just wouldn't fit. Hell, they can't fit into the seats we have now. It might work on an Asian airline.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

The seat resembles a saddle, yee haw
    My grace is sufficient for you, for my my strength is made perfect in weakness...I love you dad!
    Rip Mom

How about a little DVT with your flight?

I blame Ryan Air for every terrible development in flying.

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

UM FUCK YOU AND FUCK NO! that picture just gave me the worst panic attack of claustrophobia ever!!

the woman in the seat looks so awkward.. this looks terribly uncomfortable.

Visions of this sort of come to mind.
    When your daughter plays "House," she pretends to be an annoying doctor with a pill-addiction and a limp.

Quote Originally Posted by Mivvi21 View Post
    That looks beyond uncomfortable. I cannot imagine sitting like that for hours on end on a flight.
    It pisses me off just looking at these. What are they thinking? They look like freaken folding chairs and the seats look like they tilt down toward the front.

Meryl doesn't even try anymore. She just calls Lanvin and asks for curtains with a belt.~Bitter
    Can we interest you in Leann Rimes? She has a nice little cadre of fans you'd probably enjoy.~ Pecan Pie

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information