Thread: Chicago vs. San Francisco in October

Default Chicago vs. San Francisco in October

I'm looking to explore one of these cities in the fall. I'll be going in early October (my birthday is around that time), and from what I've heard, weatherwise, October is one of the best times to go to SF. It won't be too cold in Chicago at that time either.

Which city do you reccommend? These are the two major cities in America that I haven't been able to explore yet. Which food scene is better? Which one has better museums? Which would be better for general neighborhood exploring? Any tips for someone going to either of these cities for the first time? For example, I want to go on that architect cruise if I go to Chicago. Is it worth the time?

I'll be going to either one for about 4 or 5 days.

Thanks in advance!
    Posted from my iPhone

I have never been to Chicago but Have been to San Francisco. It was beautiful. I was there in April for Wondercon. The weather was very cool. It has great food, scenery, and plenty to do for entertainment.

San Francisco definitely!

i've never been to san francisco but i have been to chicago and i loved it.
    i imagine there is a completely different vibe to both places. chicago has tons of art and music. but i guess san francisco has the views and the ocean.
    i think you should just toss a coin and visit one of them now and then another one later.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

czb

weather is good in both places during october so that is a non-issue.

what do you like to do? if you are into outdoor stuff, i would recommend SF. you can hike the dipsea trail, see redwoods and go to stinson beach. a really great day. go to the headlands, ride horses on the beach, and see the ocean. go kayaking on the bay or rent a bike at blazing saddles and ride across the GG bridge and explore marin. so many beautiful places.

there are good museums in SF but if that's what you are into then i think chicago is better. nothing compares with the art institute. wow.

foodwise both cities are good but the cuisines are different. SF probably has some of the best asian food in the country. you can do dimsum and sushi in the same day. yummm. and if you are into trendy restaurants there are some great ones. chicago is great for deep dish pizza, steak, greek food.

chicago has good bars where you can see bands perform blues live on any night. sf doesn't really have that but there are a lot of clubs with progressive music. and a decent symphony.

so what do you like to do??
    Last edited by czb; August 18th, 2010 at 04:11 PM.

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

yeah i imagine that they're so different too and equally fabulous during the fall.

never been to chicago outside of a stop-over at O'hare and San Francisco is lovely so I can't give you an opinion lol

Thank you all for the responses. As for what I like to do, I like going to museums, looking at architecture, hanging out in chill lounges or bars.

I think I'm leaning towards Chicago due to a number of factors. I think when I go to San Francisco, I'm probably going to fly down to SoCal and see friends and family down there, so I think I'd probably make San Francisco just one part of a big West Coast vacation.

Again, thank you all for your advice! If you have any restaurants in either city that you feel are worth checking out, let me know!

Quote Originally Posted by hustle4alivin View Post
    Thank you all for the responses. As for what I like to do, I like going to museums, looking at architecture, hanging out in chill lounges or bars.
    yeah, definitely chicago then. i love doing those things as well and chicago was fantastic for that.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

I have not been fortunate enough to go to Chicago. I am dying try Rick Bayless's restaurant though. It's called Frontera Grill. That's my recommendation. Please feel free to tell me about it if you go there.

Chicago has amazing museums, great bars and restaurants, and some terrific old architecture. (And, I love San Francisco too, but more for the gorgeous scenery and the seafood.)
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

have fun and tell us about it. my mom raves about chicago

OMG..are you kidding me? I have been to Chicago...big deal(I like it and all..but..c'mon)..SAN FRANCISCO!!! Hell you have so much there and in the immediate vicinity!

Come to Upstate NY if you ever want to see the Fall Foliage (which sounds totally lame I know) but it can be soooo beautiful.

I'm not talking Westchester NY, I'm talking up near Canada. Autumn's in NY are awesome! Just had to share that!

But if it was up to me, I'd go to San Fran! My friend lives there and loves it. Soooo many cool places. Have fun regardless of where you go!

Never been to San fran, but go to Chi all the time.

Did the river/arcitecture tour. Very cool. Told the stories behind the buildings, Al Capone shit.

Got to get Chicago style pizza. There's a great pizza place just off Michigan Ave. If I can remember it, I'll post it. There's also another awesome steakhouse too.

Art Institute is phenomenal. Hubby hates museums, liked the art institute. and if you go one day during the week, it's free. check the website.

Sears Tower. Got to go.

At night, go to the bar on top of Hancock Building. You'll pay $10 for a cocktail, but the view can't be beat. Best view is in the ladies restroom.

you can check out Second City for comedy and the Blue Man Group for other entertainment.

Navy Pier is ok. Kinda touristy.

wrigley field is an experience. But it's October and we all know Cubs wont be in the playoffs. lol
    RELIGION: Treat it like it's your genitalia. Don't show it off in public, and don't shove it down your children's throats.

Thread Information