Thread: Tips on what to do in Waikiki

Default Tips on what to do in Waikiki

Going to Hawaii on Thursday (woooo-hooooo!!!!!), and I'm looking for tips on cool places to go in Waikiki. Hole in the wall restaurants, cool bars, sightseeing, etc. Anyone been and feel like sharing?

Nothing super romantic though, cause I'm going with my ex and I don't really want that vibe. LOL!
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits."

So, you're going to be on Oahu?

Go to Hanama Bay and snorkel. You can rent all the equipment you need, hand feed fish, and then snorkel among reefs that are about 5 feet high (shallow bay). Great experience and you'll get awesome results with your underwater camera.

Go to the Polynesian Cultural Center, which is about 20 minutes or so from Waikiki. It has replicas of typical dwellings and costumes of people from all the Polynesian islands. And they have an amazing show in the evening, including a fire dancer.

See the U.S.S. Arizona memorial

See the U.S. Missouri memorial and stand on the spot where Emperor Hirohito stood when he surrendered to Macarthur.

Go to Sandy Beach and damn near break your neck trying to boogie board in the crazy waves they have there.

If you have a friend in the military, go to Bellows Beach where you will be practically alone on pristine beach.

It's too late in the year, I think, for you to see surfers on the North Shore. Waves will be non-existent.

Sushi is great. There are something like 9 different kinds of tuna sold on Oahu.

Shopping in downtown Honolulu is amazing. Very cool and expensive high-end stores.

You have to go to Tiki's Bar And Grill. It is an awesome outdoor/ indoor bar. They have different entertainment every night, the wait staff is excellent and it is just outright fun! It's right on the main drag and across the street from the beach which you can totally see from most tables in the bar. There is usually a parade or street fair going on on any given weekend so you have front row seats for most action at Tiki's.
    I made 2 trips last year, both to Waikiki and both times Tiki's was the happening place for night time fun.
    You are going to have so much fun! Enjoy your trip.

Tiki's Grill & Bar Waikiki Restaurant in Honolulu Hawaii

Meryl doesn't even try anymore. She just calls Lanvin and asks for curtains with a belt.~Bitter
    Can we interest you in Leann Rimes? She has a nice little cadre of fans you'd probably enjoy.~ Pecan Pie

Elite Member

Eat at any of Roy Yamaguchi's restaurants. Order the Poke (pronounced pok-ee) tuna any where you see it. It was swimming an hour earlier. Go to the air and space museum at the Arizona memorial.

Hey, there's also that tower in downtown Honolulu that lets you see basically the whole city. I can't remember the name, though.

czb

if you like to hike, go do diamond head. kinda touristy but still fun. and agree about roy yamaguchi restauants, yummmm.

have fun!

Quote Originally Posted by czb View Post
    if you like to hike, go do diamond head. kinda touristy but still fun. and agree about roy yamaguchi restauants, yummmm.

have fun!
    I totally forgot about Diamondhead

Also cool is the "Punchbowl", which is like the Arlington Cemetary of the Pacific. They have great stone murals there, depicting the evolution of the Pacific conflict, complete with maps.

fgg

i second diamondhead and hanama bay. also, you have to go to one of the luaus.

Watch out for the poi, though. Bleh......

Elite Member

Blech indeed. Poi=Wallpaper Paste

Thank you all so much for the tips! I've never had any sushi other than a California roll, so I'm going to make a point to try some this trip. And I'll definitely stay away from the poi. LOL!
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits."

Make a reservation for a Hot Stone Massage at the Halekulani Spa....it's heaven. Have dinner or enjoy a cost-conscious Happy Hour at Hiroshi Eurasion Tapas restaurant. I eat there every time I return to Hawaii.

If you want the best brunch in Oahu, go to Orchids, but you should make a reservation.

Enjoy!

Hiroshi Eurasion Tapas Dinner Nightly 5:30 - 9:30 P.M. (808) 533-4476

Halekulani Hotel - Spa Halekulani

Halekulani Hotel - Dining - Orchids
    "the place you live in is that much more drab and empty that they're gone"

Thread Information