Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Danger level on the rise for great white shark divers at Guadalupe Island

Default Danger level on the rise for great white shark divers at Guadalupe Island

Danger level on the rise for great white shark divers at Guadalupe Island

The man in the cage below is not nicknamed "lefty."

After the frightening-looking encounter captured here, the great white shark vanished into the abyss and the man kept his arm.

But cage-diving scenes that promise close encounters with sharks are creating a frenzy at Guadalupe Island west of Baja California, because some feel it's only a matter of time before a person gets killed.

"It's an arms race and it's the worst example of one that I've ever seen," said Patric Douglas, who runs Shark Divers, a shark-related tourism, filming and consulting business.

The half-dozen operators that set up shop seasonally at the remote Mexican island have become so competitive that they're constantly seeking new ways to lure high-dollar customers away from other operators.

Customers also have become bolder. They routinely lean from the gaps of cages to get better camera angles, despite instructions to keep limbs and torsos inside. In some cases, divers are even swimming out the cages or climbing on top of them in waters that are home each summer and fall to dozens of adult great whites.

Cage diving is relatively new to Guadalupe Island but its evolution beyond the traditional stern-attached surface cages, which still exist, has been swift.

The so-called arms race began when Laurence Groth of Shark Diving International started submersing cages to depths at which the sharks lurk -- about 50 feet -- so he wouldn't have to rely on "chumming" them to the surface with ground-up fish and blood (now illegal but still practiced by some).

Groth also built a submersible "cinema cage" that has no sides, affording film crews unobstructed views but providing sharks with direct access to human flesh, if that's what they desire. Fortunately, they do not.

Groth's latest invention is a horizontal two-person cage that "flies around like an airplane," with the client laying in the front with a camera and Groth in back driving with a joystick.

When informed that another operator has built a double-deck cage with no bars on the upper deck, Groth smugly said, "I'll have to do a fly-by and check it out."

The split-level cages are the brainchild of Mike Lever, who runs the Nautilus Explorer, a luxury vessel that has a hot tub from which divers can warm up after their chilly cage dives and watch sharks circle the boat in gorgeous blue water with 100-foot visibility.

Divers in these submersible cages can enjoy the company of white sharks from behind steel bars or scamper upward, with experienced dive masters, to stand atop a deck for an open-water experience.

"It is an unforgettable rush when a great white looks at you from 50 feet away and then swims over for a very close look," says Daniel Dayneswood, who works for the Nautilus Explorer, which is based in British Columbia.

But the daring does not end here. A relative newcomer to Guadalupe is Amos Nachoum, who has raised the bar to what some might consider the ultimate level.

Nachoum, a famous photographer and outfitter who runs Big Animal Expeditions, openly advertises outside-the-cage opportunities and charges what some might consider an arm and a leg: $5,900 for a week-long trip.

Nachoum, whose trips are aboard a 110-foot La Paz, Mexico-based vessel named Sea Escape, says he takes only "qualified individuals" but other operators claim Nachoum's idea of a qualified individual is anyone who shells out the money for one of his trips.

"He's new to the whole thing," says Groth, a pioneer at Guadalupe who himself has been referred to as a "cowboy" using questionable tactics. "He has an inexperienced boat crew and he's doing this stupid stuff with anyone who will pay him the money."

Lever believes Nachoum's operation is an accident waiting to happen. "What concerns me is that someone outside the cage gets freaked out by a shark, and it's easy to get freaked out by a shark; I've been freaked out by them," Lever says. "So what happens when you're at mid-water on SCUBA gear and you get freaked out and panic.

"If that person bails to the surface what kind of reflex are they going to trigger in that animal? And then that person is on the surface thrashing, and then what happens?"

It should be noted that white sharks are not bloodthirsty killers. They're generally very cautious around divers. Other operators have let veteran film crews outside the cages for brief periods, always flanked by dive masters who look for any changes in the sharks' behavior. If a shark becomes even remotely aggressive, divers are ordered back into the cages.

Nachoum maintains that he's as cautious as the sharks. He only runs one trip a year to Guadalupe, and only takes 10 people. Only half of them even want to venture out of the cages, he says. Those who do must have extensive scuba experience and must bring lawyer-signed and notarized documents stating they're aware of the risk of death and serious injury.

The expedition leader adds that he only allows one diver at a time to venture outside, only after he has gone outside and feels comfortable in the presence of the shark or sharks in the area. A second dive master swims behind the customer with a stick to push the shark away if it gets too close. (These sharks can measure 18 feet and weigh 3,000-plus pounds.)

Groth and Lever say what Nachoum is doing is illegal. Nachoum says other operators -- he did not name them -- are in violation for using whole tuna attached to ropes to lure sharks to surface cages and inspire them to open their mouths for camera-toting passengers. The crews yank the tuna away before the sharks can snatch them and this, Nachoum says, "makes the sharks crazy."

What's legal and illegal is largely moot because Guadalupe is 160 miles from the Baja California peninsula and enforcement of any rules is difficult, though the Mexican navy makes a sporadic inspection.

Mostly it's up to the operators to watch each other, and they do so suspiciously.

One thing they all agree on is that if a shark does kill someone, Mexico might kick everyone out and close what is arguably the world's premier white shark-diving destination.

That, they say, would remove the operators' watchful eyes and open the island to poaching, which would decimate the sharks. So it's in everyone's best interest -- though it hardly seems that way -- to keep their customers alive.

never in my life would i do anything so mindbendingly stupid.

that's 2000 lbs of animal hardwired to eat. that's all it does. It hasn't changed in a hundred million years because it's the perfect design.

Getting hit by something like that would be like standing in front of a locomotive with butcher knives welded to the front.

Wtf is wrong with people!
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Because they firmly believe it only happens to others.

Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

sucking on a blow pop and playing with electrodes

Goodbye, fucking morons.
    KILLING ME WON'T BRING BACK YOUR GOD DAMNED HONEY!!!!!!!!!!

Come on, let's have lots of drinks.

Fuck you all, I'm going viral.

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post

that's 2000 lbs of animal hardwired to eat. that's all it does. It hasn't changed in a hundred million years because it's the perfect design.

Getting hit by something like that would be like standing in front of a locomotive with butcher knives welded to the front.

GWs really do not want to eat you. They may mistake you for a seal from the bottom ambush which is their forte. Guadaloupe Island is famous for being a breeding/nursery groung for GWs in this hemisphere. The really big 'sisters' are at Farallones Island off San Francisco, CA. There is a great book about these sharks with the very melodramatic title 'The Devil's Teeth', which is very educational.

Mommy mommy, can I pet the shark?? Can I mommy, can I?

Anyway, great whites only testbite.

A*O

The problem is that all these "meet a shark" operations eventually train the sharks to come looking for the gory bait/chum the divers use to attract them and, ergo, potentially tasty humans. If people are dumb enough to do this then they get what they deserve but if the sharks then start hunting my boy on his surboard then I have a problem
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post

Aren't you like, hardwired to wanna do certain things (that this would fall into the category of) on account of your manly testosterone and shit?
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

A*O

Grimm channels his manly testosterone into agonizing over table lamps.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Exactly. I don't have time to prowl the oceans looking for stupid people.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

That's what happens when you want to play with an apex predator in their own territory. And yeah, I believe they don't really start out wanting to eat people, but when you throw chum out in the ocean and than put a person down there right after (in a cage or not), all they want is the source of the chum and even though they're incredibly intelligent killing machines, they don't realize chum vs. human.

Elite Member

I've been on many shark dives in the carribean that dont have you in cages at all. While you certainly wouldn't try it with GW, I've seen it done with many other species of sharks like reef, lemon, blacktip, silky, and bulls. They are either feed off a frozen chumsickle or by a divemaster offering fish on the spear. Although there was this one cowboy dive master who just whipped out a tuna spine and waved it in the water...but that was 20 years ago off Moorea. Sharks can actually be very shy. The two biggest I ever saw, one a 10 great hammerhead female of Grand Cayman and a 12' tiger on the backside of Molokini Crater in Maui, both bolted the second they saw the divers.

^^ I get that ... but if you keep going to a specific place where the predator is getting fed (like chum), they are going to start to expect it. That's where it becomes dangerous (and stupid) for humans to go down there, especially without a cage. It's almost like a feral land animal that gets fed by humans too frequently ... they start to like the food and they lose their fear of humans. There is a great article about another apex predator, the gray wolf, on wiki that walks along these lines, I'll see if I can find it ...

The two biggest I ever saw, one a 10 great hammerhead female of Grand Cayman and a 12' tiger on the backside of Molokini Crater in Maui, both bolted the second they saw the divers.
    I saw a small shark while snorkeling at Molokini too. I don't know what kind it was. The minute it saw us, it swam away. Isn't that an awesome place? We saw stingrays and turtles too.

I could never go in one of those cages. The minute I saw a GW, I'd probably drop dead of a heart attack. I stood next to the jawbone of one in a museum and it was huge! I can't even imagine being in proximity to a live GW. Too scary for me, which is why I only snorkel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information