Thread: So anybody been to Seattle/Vancouver?

Default So anybody been to Seattle/Vancouver?

Hi! So I'm getting married in September and we're going to Seattle for our honeymoon and up to Vancouver for a couple of days. Anybody have suggestions for places we have to see/eat at? Thanks!
    Now logic is a wonderful thing but it has, as the processes of evolution discovered, certain drawbacks. Anything that thinks logically can be fooled by something else which thinks at least as logically as it does. - Douglas Adams

Seattle is beautiful. Lots of stuff to see, especially Pike Street market.

You should look up Snowqualmie Falls, near Seattle. A while back, we had a seven course breakfast there, while we watched the gigantic falls.

SnoqualmieFalls.com - The Official Snoqualmie Falls Web Site

sucking on a blow pop and playing with electrodes

I love Seattle but I can't live there, the sun rises too damn early. Both of my sisters live there.

I drove to Seattle from Houston in February and driving through Snoqualmie Pass was just amazing.

Ummmmm, in the downtown area of Seattle the homeless and panhandlers are very aggressive.

I wish I could think of the name but right around the corner from sister's old place is this tiny little restaurant/cafe that serves the best fucking mole chicken enchiladas.

The market is okay, there is a cool shop on the lower level that sells old prints. Uwajimaya is neat. Alki is a nice area to check out and walk around.
    KILLING ME WON'T BRING BACK YOUR GOD DAMNED HONEY!!!!!!!!!!

Come on, let's have lots of drinks.

Fuck you all, I'm going viral.

Thanks, guys! I hadn't come across Snoqualmie Falls/Pass yet, definitely want to check that out! Thanks for the all the info.
    Now logic is a wonderful thing but it has, as the processes of evolution discovered, certain drawbacks. Anything that thinks logically can be fooled by something else which thinks at least as logically as it does. - Douglas Adams

You won't regret Pike Street. When I was there with my family in 2006, there were no panhandlers on me at all. This market has some of the best produce in North American, from vegetables and fruit to seafood. Lots of cool little specialty shops.

Space Needle is fun to visit. In that same area, there is a shopping area that has a little museum on a lower floor. It's more for kids, though.

British Columbia was great. I was in Victoria, not Vancouver, though.

Okay, so the awesome little cafe is called Cafe Java Love... and I just read it is closed. WTF, it is a sad day for mole lovers in Beacon Hill.

Um, a former member here lives in Vancouver and would probably love to host you, serve you boxed wine and give you writing lessons.
    "I've cautiously embraced jeggings"
    Emma Peel aka Pacific Breeze aka Wilde1 aka gogodancer aka maribou

Yip, yip, yip in your tiny indignation. Bark furiously on, lady dog.

Seattle is my favorite place in the US. We want to move there to raise the kidlet.

My older sister has lived there for some time, I don't think I can ever talk her into coming back.

I used to live in Vancouver years ago and visited Seattle often. I totally agree about Snowqualmie Falls and Pike Street market and Space Needle will give you amazing views.

You're visiting both Vancouver and Seattle at a great time, as it rains (on average) about 9-10 months of the year and you often can't even see the mountains. I wouldn't live in either place long-term for that reason. But, they are both amazing cities to have a vacation. IMO, the best time to go is summer, or late autumn. In Vancouver, I would go to:
    Whistler, Grouse Mountain (go on the aerial tram)and Capilano Suspension Bridge, Granville Island, Stanley Park and (time permitting) a visit to Victoria on the ferry - takes about 3 hours each way. The Butchart gardens are stunning and it's such a pretty island. Vancouver itself is such a beautiful city and you will also love walking around or getting on a tour.

Congrats on your upcoming wedding too! Both are beautiful cities and you can't go wrong with either.

You are going at a pretty good time of the year. The non-stop torrential rain usually starts in October.
    I worked across the street from the Space Needle for 2 years and finally spent the $18 bucks to go up to the top my last week there. It was a clear day and the view was awesome.
    The Fremont Troll located at N 35th and Troll Ave is a fun photo op.

A must see is the Ballard locks. Loved Balled, awesome place. It's a ship canal and really cool to watch the water raise and lower for the passing boats.

Jazz Alley is a cool place place for music and food.They have a huge Jazz thing going on in Seattle if you're into that. You should go to the original Starbuck's downtown. There are some awesome microbreweries.
    I moved to Kirkland after living in downtown Seattle for 13 months. Kirkland and Bellevue are great to visit as well. About 15 miles from Seattle. Beautiful cities with great dining and shopping.

Kirkland is built around Lake Washington. Fabulous place.
    Last edited by sprynkles; September 1st, 2010 at 09:04 AM.

"A massive penis means never having to say you're sorry". Mo

Quote Originally Posted by Wiseguy View Post
    I used to live in Vancouver years ago and visited Seattle often. I totally agree about Snowqualmie Falls and Pike Street market and Space Needle will give you amazing views.

You're visiting both Vancouver and Seattle at a great time, as it rains (on average) about 9-10 months of the year and you often can't even see the mountains. I wouldn't live in either place long-term for that reason. But, they are both amazing cities to have a vacation. IMO, the best time to go is summer, or late autumn. In Vancouver, I would go to:
    Whistler, Grouse Mountain (go on the aerial tram)and Capilano Suspension Bridge, Granville Island, Stanley Park and (time permitting) a visit to Victoria on the ferry - takes about 3 hours each way. The Butchart gardens are stunning and it's such a pretty island. Vancouver itself is such a beautiful city and you will also love walking around or getting on a tour.

Congrats on your upcoming wedding too! Both are beautiful cities and you can't go wrong with either.
    I was just going to mention Butchart gardens. Very cool place if you are into gardening and flowers (photos below). Visiting Mount Rainier was pretty cool, too. My uncle also chartered a small plane to fly over Mount St. Helens, which had had its big blast just a couple months earlier.

I also wouldn't live in Seattle for the long term or raise kids there. It may be an unfair evaluation, but it does rain frequently, and people seem to walk around in Kurt Cobain-like clothes (long-sleeve shirts and jeans) all the time because even if it's sunny, it could turn quickly and start drizzling on you.

I live just across the bridge from Seattle, and it is a fantastic place with loads to do.

- The Seattle Arts Museum is fantastic. They have a large Andy Warhol exhibit, a very cool Kurt Cobain exhibit, and loads more. They will have a Picasso exhibit soon, as well.

- If you are into Sci-Fi, definitely check out the Science Fiction Museum at the base of the space needle. When you buy a ticket to that, you also get into The Experience Music project. Loads of Jimi Hendrix memorabilia, as well as many NW bands, and an awesome guitar tornado sculpture.

- Teatro Zinzanni! Also right by the Space Needle, this is a 5 star restaurant that also presents a circus show. My daughter goes to a circus school out here, and knows people who perform there.

- Take a Ferry to Bainbridge Island! It's a beautiful place, with loads of gorgeous shops and a very old town charm. For eats I'd recommend Doc's down at the harbor. Their Portabello Blue burger is sublime.

- Head up to the Fisherman's Memorial. Eat the most amazing fish and chips at Chinook's, and walk the docks. Talk with the people who work there. They have the best stories.

There is so much to do. If you post some of your interests, I could make some better suggestions.
    By trying we can easily learn to endure adversity -- another man's I mean. -Mark Twain

Oh, and if you are planning to go to Snoqualmie Falls you might want to know that the trail to the base of the falls is closed. They are working on some sort of electric thing, and it's dangerous for people to go down. It's one of our favorite hiking spots.
    By trying we can easily learn to endure adversity -- another man's I mean. -Mark Twain

Thread Information