Thread: Barcelona's artistic side

Default Barcelona's artistic side

( Rosemary McClure / For The Times ) The wavy lines of La Pedrera, which was designed by famed Barcelona architect Antoni Gaudí, are hard to miss on Paseo de Gracia, one of the city's most beautiful streets.

(Chong Ming) La Pedrera's curved design continues inside to the atrium. The apartment block is in Gaudí's hillside development, Park Güell.

(Damien Simonis / Lonely Planet Images) For the rooftop of La Pedrera, Gaudí created these otherworldly looking sculptures.

(Tato Grasso) Casa Batilo also features the tell-tale signs of Gaudí's work. His Modernista designs helped transform Barcelona into one of Europe's most charming centers.

(Rosemary McClure / For The Times) La Sagrada Família, Gaudí's magical masterwork, is still a work in progress.

(Rosemary McClure / For The Times) The dizzying spires at La Sagrada Família. The church has been under construction for nearly 120 years and won't be completed for more than a decade.

(Rosemary McClure / For The Times) Park Güell, with its unusual buildings, colorful mosaic-clad benches and large terrace overlooking the city, has become a favorite stop for tourists.

(Rosemary McClure / For The Times) The Plaza de Catalunya is a gathering spot for people as well as pigeons.

(Rosemary McClure / For The Times) The Casa de las Punxes, Catalan for "the House of Spikes," has six towers with conical points. The building, at Avenida Diagonal, was designed by Josep Puig i Cadafalch, one of the Modernistas who helped change the face of the city.

(Rosemary McClure / For The Times) The giant copper Peix (fish) sculpture by L.A.'s Frank Gehry glitters in the sunlight over Port Olimpic, a marina built for the 1992 Summer Olympics.

(Rosemary McClure / For The Times) The skyline of Barcelona spreads into the distance. The city, one of the world's great art centers, is a bold and exuberant place known for sensory overload.

Photos: Barcelona's artistic side -

fellow traveller

i love barcelona.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Me, too. I could use a romantic get away. I've been in Germany almost two months now. Too long. This thread gave me an idea.
    Hello mother fucker! when you ask a question read also the answer instead of asking another question on an answer who already contain the answer of your next question!

Thread Information