Thread: Top ten places to go skinny-dipping

Default Top ten places to go skinny-dipping

Formentera, Spain –

As the smallest and most southerly of Spain’s Balearic Islands, Formentera boasts some of the Mediterranean’s finest beaches.
    There’s no need to pussyfoot around on these unspoilt sands – nudity is the norm here. Playa Levante is a sandy enclave backed by trees and caressed by sheltered dunes, while Playa Es Calo has great snorkelling in its crystal-clear bay. As far as above-board skinnydipping goes, it probably doesn’t get any better than this.
    An easy one-hour boat ride from Ibiza, Formentera offers a more ecofriendly vibe – visitors are asked to rent bicycles to get around, instead of cars.

Viti Lake, Askja Caldera, Iceland –

Askja, in Iceland’s remote Central Highlands in the shadow of the immense Vatnajökull ice cap, is a hard place to reach. Following a huge eruption in 1875 the volcano’s caldera collapsed and filled with water. The resulting lake, Öskjuvatn, is Iceland's deepest at 220m. But nearby Viti is the main attraction. Visitors scramble into the steep crater to soak in soothing geothermal waters – bathing suits are strictly optional.

Traditional onsen, Japan –

Japan’s tradition of hot-spring bathing is enshrined in the nation’s culture. Located on the Pacific Ring of Fire, Japan bubbles with volcanic activity and there are thousands of bathing houses serving locals and tourists alike. The Japanese view onsen as the perfect stress buster, a place to unwind and shake off the city’s shackles. Naturally, you can only do that if you’re naked. If you’re prudish most onsen offer single-sex bathing.

Ice swimming, Finland –

Hard-core skinny-dipping combines the ubiquitous Finnish sauna with a teethchattering spot of ice swimming. Public swimming holes will usually call for bathing suits, but if you know what you’re doing no one’s going to stop you hacking your own hole and taking the plunge. On a still wilderness evening, under a crisp star-studded sky, scampering from the steamy sauna to the inky water is a withering experience.

Porcupine Mountains, Wilderness State Park, Michigan, US –

Michigan’s Porcupine Mountains, known as the ‘Porkies’, are a series of ridges rising steeply from the shores of Lake Superior. This is nature on a grand scale: panoramic views, vast isolation and the world’s largest freshwater lake. A great weekend hike follows a loop linking three trails – Escarpment, Big Carp River and Lake Superior – to take in the finest scenery.
    Seven miles west of the trailhead lies a sheltered back-country camp site, voted as the definitive skinny-dipping location in the States. Tiptoe over the carpet of pine needles and rejoice in the perfect naked swim.

Paradise Beach, Mykonos, Greece –

Travellers on the 1960s hippy trail made Paradise Beach famous as a hedonistic hideaway of free love and unbridled carousing. Today it remains a party hotspot. Paradise is all about hanging out and mixing with an energetic crowd of revellers. And at the end of the night there’s no better way to get to know your new friends than with a dawn swim – au naturel of course.

Radha Nagar, Andaman & Nicobar Islands –

Scattered in the Bay of Bengal near Burma and Indonesia, the 582 islands of Andaman and Nicobar shot to global prominence after being hit by the 2004 Indian Ocean tsunami. Tourism is recovering, and Radha Nagar on Havelock Island has been receiving serious praise – could this really be the ‘best beach in Asia’? Pristine white sand, turquoise water and coral reefs with great snorkelling give it major plus points, as do the cinematic sunsets.

Blackmoss Pot, Lake District, England –

Wild camping in England is officially off limits and parading in the buff isn’t really the done thing – but that shouldn’t stop you; you can pitch a tent discreetly in the Lake District and nobody will mind. In the cool of the early morning, drag yourself from the tent and take a dip in Blackmoss Pot, a sheltered pool with great rocks for star jumping to the clear water below. No amount of steaming tea and bacon butties can wake you quite this effectively.

Englischer Garten, Munich, Germany –

German nudity is rooted in the 19th-century Freikörperkultur (free-body culture) movement, one that lives on in today’s urban dwellers. In summer thousands of everyday Münchners head to the city’s largest park, the Englischer Garten, to get their nude on over lunch, sprawling on the grass or cooling off in the river. The countless piles of neatly folded business suits is an unusual scene, and a constant source of amusement for tourists.

Turtle Island, Fiji –

This luxury island resort accommodating just 14 couples features sumptuous villas, oceanfront alfresco dining and a spa menu as idyllic as the location. Better still, there are 14 private beaches. Who’s to stop you taking a nude stroll along the white sands, soaking up a little sun or enjoying a moonlight splash? The island was a locale for The Blue Lagoon (1980), and it’s hard to imagine stripping off in a more sublime location.

Top ten places to go skinny-dipping - Telegraph

I'd also like to add:

Orient Beach (St. Martin)

Little Beach (Maui)

If I am going to swim in the buff you can bet your sweet ass it is gonna be some place with really warm water!

*lol* us Germans again :-) we even cultured nudity

Quote Originally Posted by darksithbunny View Post
    If I am going to swim in the buff you can bet your sweet ass it is gonna be some place with really warm water!
    ITA. I have no interest in a "withering" Finnish experience.

Little (Makena) Beach, in Maui.

Orient Beach in St. Martin:

czb

japanese hot springs rock! had the best time visiting them.

Turtle Island....holy shit I want to go sooooo bad. Clothed or not.

Muir Beach, CA

czb

Quote Originally Posted by Palermo View Post
    Muir Beach, CA
    too cold in winter!

have i seen you there?

Never been to any of those, but I did go to Hanlan's Point Beach in Toronto. Kept the bottoms on though.

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

-- Stephen Hawking

Quote Originally Posted by twitchy2.0 View Post
    Never been to any of those, but I did go to Hanlan's Point Beach in Toronto. Kept the bottoms on though.
    Good for you, Twitchy!

Another place my wife and I tried out in 2001 - Obelisk Beach, near Sydney. Very interesting rock formations and great view of Sydney area. Very peaceful and quiet. The photo below is not us -- just the clearest one I could find.

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

There's a nude beach in Sydney near Watson's Bay. Very beautiful. You can go naked literally anywhere in Sweden.
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

Thread Information