Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Meet my country - Lebanon

Hit By Ban Bus!

Default Meet my country - Lebanon

I bet most of u dont know what is Lebanon, maybe yes, and maybe no.

Lebanon is my origin. I was born in Colombia but my parents are from Lebanon. Lebanon is located on the Middle East, next to Jordan and Syria. Lebanon is an amazing country though I lived in it almost only 5 years. I want to show u all this amazing country even it's kindda having drastic political problems, it's still an amazing country and I always pray that good stuff happen to it.

It's capital is Beirut. Lebanon is an Arab country, and we have a lot of religion in it, so it's amazing.. from Christians, Catholics, Muslims Sunnis, and Muslims Chiita, Durzis, and others (dont know much about them)

Lebanon went thru so many wars (I dont want to mention them bec I dont want to discuss politics) and these wars destroyed Lebanon in all aspects, financially, economically, and in touristic sense. No one wants to visit it bec they feel it's dangerous

Lebanon sees all 4 seasons of the year, so I have posted a pic of each, amazing! If you have any question about it, please feel free to ask!

Winter

Spring

Fall

Summer

Street life

This is a must-see site, I loved Jeita!

Jeita Grotto is a compound of caves in Lebanon located 18km north from Beirut in the Valley of Nahr al-Kalb (Dog River). This grotto is comprised of two caves, an upper and lower. The caves feature many stalactites and stalagmites and a river runs through the lower cave. Much of the caves are underwater.

The lower cave of Jeita Grotto was discovered in 1836 and opened to the public in 1958. The upper cave was discovered in 1958 and opened to the public years later in 1969. Today, Jeita Grotto is a popular tourist site for both Lebanese and travelers from abroad because of its beauty and proximity to Beirut. A ropeway that ascends through the Valley of Nahr al-Kalb carries visitors to the upper cave, or visitors can use the train shuttle that continuously runs back and forth between the upper and lower caves.

Jeita Grotto is one of the most impressive underground caverns in the world. Situated under Mount Lebanon in the Nahr el Kalb (Dog River) Valley, these caves, which have been known to man since Paleolithic times, consist of a lower and upper gallery. Today, visitors can explore the 6200-metre deep (20,341ft) lower gallery by boat, whilst the upper gallery, which was not discovered until 1958, can be visited on foot by travelling down a 120-metre (394ft) tunnel. There are numerous multicoloured stalactites and stalagmites, and a huge underground lake in what is one of the world’s most impressive natural wonders.

Baalback

Baalbeck, Lebanon's greatest Roman treasure, can be counted among the wonders of the ancient world. The largest and most noble Roman temples ever built, they are also among the best preserved.
    Towering high above the Beqaa plain, their monumental proportions proclaimed the power and wealth of Imperial Rome. The gods worshipped here, the Triad of Jupiter, Venus and Mercury, were grafted onto the indigenous deities of Hadad, Atargatis and a young male god of fertility. Local influences are also seen in the planning and layout of the temples, which vary from the classic Roman design.

Over the centuries Baalbeck's monuments suffered from theft, war and earthquakes, as well as from numerous medieval additions.
    Fortunately, the modern visitor can see the site in something close to its original form thanks to work in the past hundred years by German, French and Lebanese archaeologists.
    Baalbeck is located on two main historic trade routes, one between the Mediterranean coast and the Syrian interior and the other between northern Syria and northern Palestine.
    Today the city, 85 kilometers from Beirut, is an important administrative and economic center in
    the northern Beqaa valley.

Pigeon rocks in Beirut

Virgin of Lebanon statue in Harissa
    (Modern Maronite cathedral in background)

Mohamed al-Amin Mosque

Last edited by suzan; September 15th, 2009 at 01:45 AM.

Beautiful country, I wouldn't mind visiting there one day.

The food must be incredible, especially if they have the 'usual' Middle Eastern type cuisine like kebabs, baklava, etc.

The country is very beautiful..but I think the comment about 'I bet most of you don't know what Lebonon is' takes away from it.
    Baltimore O's ​Fan!

I don''t know if she really fucked the board though. Maybe just put the tip in. -Mrs. Dark

Quote Originally Posted by *DIVA! View Post
    The country is very beautiful..but I think the comment about 'I bet most of you don't know what Lebonon is' takes away from it.
    That, pretty much.

Gorgeous pictures though. I'd love to see it one day.
    "Remember to always be yourself. Unless you suck." - Joss Whedon

"The only thing more expensive than education is ignorance." -Benjamin Franklin

Hit By Ban Bus!

Quote Originally Posted by *DIVA! View Post
    Excuse me??????? I AM SURE not everyone knows Lebanon. I have had friends and people that they never heard about it. OF COURSE there are others who do.

Gosh!!! BIG comments over silly things

A*O

Quote Originally Posted by suzan View Post
    Excuse me??????? I AM SURE not everyone knows Lebanon. I have had friends and people that they never heard about it. OF COURSE there are others who do.

Gosh!!! BIG comments over silly things
    Well it's a bit presumptuous to assume that we've probably never heard of Lebanon or know where it is. Anyone who takes even a passing interest in international affairs would know at least something about your country and its religious and political conflicts in recent years. If your friends don't know this stuff then perhaps it's them you should be educating?

It's a beautiful and fascinating country and I hope that now a degree of stability has returned it will continue to prosper in peace.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

You,Susan, may be interested to know we have large populations in the USA of Lebanese. I grew up with several friends who are and love lebanese cooking. I LOVE kibbies. That would be in south Louisiana.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

I had a friend from college who was from Lebanon. He always said it was a really beautiful country.

I didn't read anything into Suzan's opening comments. English is not her first language and I think she meant to say that maybe some of us know about Lebanon, and others don't. No big deal there.

I'd like to visit Lebanon one day - these pictures make me want to go sooner rather than later.

Hit By Ban Bus!

Quote Originally Posted by Wiseguy View Post
    I had a friend from college who was from Lebanon. He always said it was a really beautiful country.

I didn't read anything into Suzan's opening comments. English is not her first language and I think she meant to say that maybe some of us know about Lebanon, and others don't. No big deal there.

I'd like to visit Lebanon one day - these pictures make me want to go sooner rather than later.
    Thank you

Hit By Ban Bus!

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    Well it's a bit presumptuous to assume that we've probably never heard of Lebanon or know where it is. Anyone who takes even a passing interest in international affairs would know at least something about your country and its religious and political conflicts in recent years. If your friends don't know this stuff then perhaps it's them you should be educating?

It's a beautiful and fascinating country and I hope that now a degree of stability has returned it will continue to prosper in peace.
    I did I gave them websites, and info about it. Friends I am talking about are people I meet online. For instance a friend from Mexico. Mexico doesnt have much Lebanese there.. and she even told me that they dont really know much about overseas countries. It differs from country to country. I am glad Americans know a little about it

A*O

There's a very large Lebanese community here in Australia too. Most came as refugees from the conflict(s) a few years ago.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Lebanese make great food
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Er. Don't know what they're teaching the kids these days, but... Anyone my age (I'm in the US) who went to even a halfway decent school not only knows of the existence of this country, but could probably point it out on a map.

Nice pics.
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

I don't think she meant anything by saying don't know about Lebanon. Of course many people have heard about it, but I'm sure there are many that aren't aware of the natural resources and sights that are in Lebanon. For all I know, I'm sure some think Lebanon and the Middle East are "all alike."

The singer Shakira is of Lebanese descent. So is Salma Hayek!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information