Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cordillera Blanca - photos from my trip

Default Cordillera Blanca - photos from my trip

so i just got back from hiking in peru, in the cordillera blanca. thought i'd post some pics if anyone is interested. they're all on different sites because i went over my flickr quota for the month

laguna 69:
    laguna 69, cordillera blanca - a set on Flickr

laguna churup:
    Image hosting, free photo sharing & video sharing at Photobucket

more to come but it's slow uploading to photobucket...

eta:

chavin:
    chavin - a set on Flickr
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

great pics! laguna 69 is SO incredibly gorgeous! *faints*
    white, black, puerto rican/everybody just a freakin'/good times were rollin'.

These photos are exquisite. What a great vacation! I was wondering why you weren't posting.

What was the temperature like?
    Posted from my fucking iPhone

thanks, shinola.
    yeah, i was gone for about 2 weeks.
    the temperature was actually pretty warm during the day - the sun is very strong, you have to wear sunscreen even though the higher you get (and we went up to almost 5000m) the stronger the wind is too. and at night it drops to below freezing. but between the tent and the sleeping bags (mine can go all the way to -9C), it's actually pretty toasty.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Love them, Sputty, absolutely gorgeous.

Did I see the hiking boots you were so reluctant to buy? Lol.
    Hello mother fucker! when you ask a question read also the answer instead of asking another question on an answer who already contain the answer of your next question!
    -Bugdoll-

Those photos are gorgeous! It looks lovely there.

Absolutely breathtaking! I don't know how you could leave and not want to go right back. Total beauty.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Sput, what camera did you use?
    Hello mother fucker! when you ask a question read also the answer instead of asking another question on an answer who already contain the answer of your next question!
    -Bugdoll-

fgg

your pictures are amazing!

czb

*jealous*

so i need details . . . how long were your daily treks? did you go no-poo?? did you run into any one else on the trails??

Unbelievable pics. I had no idea that area was so amazingly beautiful. I also love this photo:

Amazing photos- I am jealous! Thanks for sharing.
    Did you know that an anagram for "Conscious Uncoupling" is "Iconic Uncool Pus Guns"? - MohandasKGanja

Quote Originally Posted by Chilly Willy View Post
    Sput, what camera did you use?
    chilly, i use a panasonic lumix dmc-fz28
    i got it after my last camera was stolen in mendoza. it's a bridge - so it's got more than a compact but still lighter and smaller than an slr, and it goes fully manual which i really love. but it only made me crave a proper slr so i can get different lenses. *sigh* maybe for christmas.

Quote Originally Posted by czb View Post
    *jealous*

so i need details . . . how long were your daily treks? did you go no-poo?? did you run into any one else on the trails??
    czb, it's amazing. you have to go! i'm nowhere near as experienced a hiker as you are so you would really get the most out of it.
    totally did the no-poo thing, it wasn't too hard since i had to wear a sun hat during the day and a wool hat at night. no showers either, only on the nights at the hostel in between hikes. long live baby wipes. and washing your legs and feet in freezing cold mountain streams.

you do see people during most of the hikes. there are gringo and israeli hikers, as well as locals. the whole national park is a big trekking, mountaineering and climbing hub so there are people from all over the world, but not in an obnoxious touristy way. no crowded campgrounds or anything like that and you definitely spend hours and hours in the middle of the mountains without seeing a single soul.

the hikes themselves were pretty different.
    the first one, to laguna 69, was the easiest. but also the hardest because it was my first one and you spend the first few days getting used to the altitude. the town of huaraz, which we used as a base between hikes, is already at 3000m above sea level so it's already quite a change from where i am which is barely at 500m. there's already way less oxygen and it takes your body 48-72 hours to acclimatise. then we went up to laguna 69, which is about a 4 hour hike, with a gain of about 400-500m. i was prepared with coca leaves and sorojchi pills but it was still hard and very slow walking, it's a weird feeling - physically not that much effort, just uphill walking, but your lungs act as if you were running and you get out of breath quite easily. i also puked when i got to the top - 4450m - quite a normal reaction to physical activity at high altitude, i've been told.

the second hike, up to laguna churup, was harder because there is a 700m gain in one day, and also the whole last part is rock climbing. not the super technical kind with ropes and stuff but still pure climbing up rocks, with a backpack. but because by then i was way more acclimatised, it took me less time to do it than laguna 69 and physically it was much less tiring, despite the climbing, which though scary was actually pretty awesome. it also helps that my friend is a mountaineer and climber (the crazy types who even do ice and glacier climbing) so i had a good instructor.

then the last trek we did, other than a couple of other one-day ones and a visit to some ruins in chavin, was the santa cruz, which is 4 days. the second day was definitely hard, even though i was acclimatised, because there is a gain of over 1000m over one day, and you hike all the way up to a mountain pass that is at 4750m so you can cross over to the next valley. and then you walk down a steep, rocky valley to camp at 600m less. for 3 days you hike about 6-8 hours a day (the third day you don't have to if you keep going but we took a detour hike up to see the alpamayo and that's a few extra hours) and the last day is shorter, only about 4.

i have to go back though. i really, really want to do the huay huash but it is 8 days and i didn't have enough time to get to huaraz, get used to the altitude, do a couple of acclimatisation hikes and then 8 days for the huay huash. but i will definitely be going back, i am in love with that place.
    there is soooo much to do. i'm still a beginner hiker but i want to do more so that by the time i go back, i can do stuff like walk up the nevado pisco which is at 5750m.
    Last edited by sputnik; August 25th, 2009 at 12:57 PM.

czb

^^^ oooh now i'm really jealous. your trip sounds amazing. glad you had a good time. and now you are sucked into the joys and challenges of hiking so it sounds like you will go again. and you are so close to some great hiking areas. i hope to go to the cordillera blanca one day. sigh. were the hostels along the way nice? i didn't do the hostels in peru but a few around patagonia and they were among the best i've ever stayed in.

i thought you would only see buff trekkers on the trails. not like machu picchu where everyone wants to go even though they can't walk a city block without huffing and puffing.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information