Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: The world's worst tourists? The French

fgg

Default The world's worst tourists? The French

French tourists seen as world's worst: survey

PARIS (Reuters Life!) French tourists are the worst in the world, coming across as bad at foreign languages, tight-fisted and arrogant, according to a survey of 4,500 hotel owners across the world.

They finish in last place in the survey carried out for internet travel agency Expedia by polling company TNS Infratest, which said French holidaymakers don't speak local languages and are seen as impolite.

"It's mainly the fact that they speak little or no English when they're abroad, and they don't speak much of the local language," Expedia Marketing Director Timothee de Roux told radio station France Info.

"The French don't go abroad very much. We're lucky enough to have a country which is magnificent in terms of its landscape and culture," he said, adding that 90 percent of French people did their traveling at home.

"So when they're on holiday they can be a bit stressed, they're not used to things, and this can lead them to be demanding in a way which could be seen as a certain arrogance."

French tourists are also accused of generally spending less than other nationalities when abroad.

De Roux said the French, not accustomed to leaving large tips at home where a service charge is automatically levied on restaurant bills, can seem "tight-fisted" compared with other nationalities.

The Japanese ranked top of the Best Tourist survey, with the British and the Germans judged the best of the Europeans.

But French tourists received some consolation for their poor performance, finishing third after the Italians and British for dress sense while on holiday.

um, something is very wrong with this if germans and brits are deemed to be the best european tourists...
    they obviously didn't ask anyone in spain.
    i've got loads of french friends and i've met a lot of frenchies during my travels and they were friendly, curious, would eat anything and loved to go off the beaten path and see new places. of course that's not exactly resort and beach and large chain hotel tourism and maybe this is the kind of place this study was surveying
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

This isn't a huge surprise seeing as how most people view the French as being a bit xenophobic and arrogant, and rightly so. The article does make a point that they seem to stay in their own country when vacationing.

Now, i know a lot of French who are not like that, but the handful of people I know doesn't make up a significant enough group to extrapolate that everyone in the country is like that.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

I'm a little offended (surprised, whatever) that the US didn't finish higher - what with the fanny packs, socks and sandals, insistence on hamburgers and fries and ketchup and very rarely knowing the language of the countries we visit. And the volume at which we speak.
    If i hear one more personal attack, i will type while drunk, then you can cry! - Bugdoll
    (716): I'd call her a cunt, but she doesn't seem to have the depth or warmth
    Quote Originally Posted by shedevilang View Post
    (Replying to MontanaMama) This is some of the smartest shit I ever read

Yep, we French people look down on other cultures... I hate to admit it, but I dislike how smug my people is (ok, I'm first-generation, but anyway). I also hate the way Americans and Italians behave in France.

French Canadians SUCK too...they had nothing but hate for us when we went up there.
    "My style is impetuous, my defense is impregnable and I'm just ferocious. I want your heart. I want to eat your children. Praise be to Allah." TEAM MILEY!!

Dunno about your friends Sput but in my experience of French tourists in Greece they tend to be extremely cheap. I've seen them drink out of toilet faucets to avoid the 50 euro cents for a bottle of water *shudder* Most hotel owners make the sign of the cross at the thought of French tourists, they make sure not to leave an extra cent at the place. I wouldn't say they don't speak English, though, in my experience they do make an effort but butcher it so badly that understanding them isn't so easy

TheOne, if it makes you feel better, the French in France were rude to the French Canadians I was with when I lived in France for a semester. You can't win with them

Quote Originally Posted by LaFolie View Post
    Yep, we French people look down on other cultures... I hate to admit it, but I dislike how smug my people is (ok, I'm first-generation, but anyway). I also hate the way Americans and Italians behave in France.
    Curious - how do Italians behave in France?
    "I've cautiously embraced jeggings"
    Emma Peel aka Pacific Breeze aka Wilde1 aka gogodancer aka maribou

Yip, yip, yip in your tiny indignation. Bark furiously on, lady dog.

^They're loud show-offs who drive their cars at full speed, never minding whether there are people crossing the street... They like to spend their money, though, so it's all good for those who benefit from the tourist industry

That's funny
    "I've cautiously embraced jeggings"
    Emma Peel aka Pacific Breeze aka Wilde1 aka gogodancer aka maribou

Yip, yip, yip in your tiny indignation. Bark furiously on, lady dog.

Quote Originally Posted by LaFolie View Post
    ^They're loud show-offs who drive their cars at full speed, never minding whether there are people crossing the street... They like to spend their money, though, so it's all good for those who benefit from the tourist industry
    they do that at home too
    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

^Yep, but I've never been to Italy... yet

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    um, something is very wrong with this if germans and brits are deemed to be the best european tourists...
    they obviously didn't ask anyone in spain.
    Or in Greece. I once stayed in a Corfu hotel full of 90% German tourists, and in the morning I had to fight my way to the breakfast buffet, since people were going for it like rabid hyenas, and stuffing stuff into their bags/making sandwitches, so they wouldn't have to spent a cent outside until their hotel dinner came along.

And Brits? Well, let's just say I've walked around the infamous resort of Faliraki, and the rumours are all true. Vomiting in the street of all hours, randomly flashing people, being loud and obnoxious (to say nothing of the stuff that ended up on the news, like the stabbing and blow-job contests in the middle of the road.

Oh yeah, they're a dream.

Not that I haven't met nice British (or German, for that matter) tourists, but they tended to be travelling not in groups/generally older. The chavs that come in swarms with the 19-30 clubs though? Best tourists, my ass!
    "Remember to always be yourself. Unless you suck." - Joss Whedon

"The only thing more expensive than education is ignorance." -Benjamin Franklin

I never had any trouble visiting France. But then I was a student and they seemed very charmed and very encouraging about me trying out my French. But the French visiting here? Totally different story and I've rarely seen it.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

A*O

In terms of antisocial behaviour then the Brits have to come top, especially those to think a "great" holiday is getting totally bladdered every night and then puking/fighting/fucking in the streets afterwards. Other nationalities don't seem to have this compulsion to drink themselves comatose in order to have a good time. I don't think the French are particularly bad tourists - just very particular and fastidious and it's true that they seem to prefer to take vacations in their own country. I would too if I lived there.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information