after our graduation my friend & i are going to the U.S. for 5 weeks in 2 weeks, and, as most people here are from the USA, i thought maybe you could give me some tips or advice if you've ever been to these areas or even live there.
i've never been to the U.S. so i basically have no clue.
our destinations are:
1 Night Las Vegas
1 Day trip to Tijuana
i have a guide that pretty much has all sightseeing information you can ask for, but i'd still like to know some stuff:
- could you redommend any CHEAP spermarkets in these cities or any good & cheap restaurants?
- is it true that waiters/waitresses don't get a general salary = the tip is the only payment they earn?
- this may sound completely stupid to you, but i'm serious: are there any areas in these cities where we better not walk around at night or at any time? i know this sounds stupid, but i've seen too many gangster movies and e.g. our hostel in NY is a block north of central park in harlem and the people in the movies usually get shot there so i don't know.
- is the public transportation system reliable? e.g. my guide says that buses, the subway, etc. drive 24/7 in new york, but is that really true? every day, all the time?
- we're 20, so i know we won't be able to drink alcohol. but will we still be able to go to bars, just without drinking alcohol? AND we've planned a trip to las vegas when we're in L.A. - so, being under 21, we won't be able to enter any of the casinos, but we can walk around that night and watch all the hotels without being arrested, right?
- is tijuana worth visiting or are there only cheap hookers & drug dealers?
i probably have some more questions, but that's it for now.
- we'll be in NY on independence day - what are the best places to be on that day?