Thread: Art Gallery of Ontario

Default Art Gallery of Ontario

June 11 2009

It is fitting that the 70-year-old Frank Gehry ended up re-envisioning the Art Gallery of Ontario (AGO) for his native city of Toronto. As a boy, Gehry visited the AGO often, and the effect of those visits on him and his future career was important. Gehry has lived most of his life in the U.S., but the AGO remake allows Toronto to reap some of the benefits of his massive talent before it’s all too late.

One of Gehry’s early sources of career inspiration was the Finnish architect Alvar Aalto (1898-1976), known as the father of Scandinavian modernism. The influence of Aalto’s love of gently curving light-color wood, and his clean and airy architectural lines, can be sensed at the newly refurbished AGO. Whether or not Gehry thought of Aalto when he designed the spiraling plywood-faced staircase for the main entry hall is irrelevant, but the feel of the space is decidedly Aalto-esque. To those of us who love the work of both architects, the newly transfigured AGO is simply fabulous. - Tuija Seipell

coolhunter

They left out some of the best parts!

the back:

the front entrance:

the Galleria Italia, behind the front facade..

Last edited by Grimmlok; June 13th, 2009 at 02:35 PM.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Outstanding. Just beautiful.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

god, that's gorgeous.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

I think I could spend longer just looking at the building than the art. It seems it would be hard to take your eyes off of it for a minute.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

That's incredible. Does anyne know who the artist/architect is?
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Cool.
    Warren Beatty: actor, director, writer, producer.

***** celeb

Quote Originally Posted by greysfang View Post
    That's incredible. Does anyne know who the artist/architect is?
    frank gehry.

i think it's really restrained, by gehry standards. at least in comparison to his recent work.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

It is. One of his big outlandish creations (Like the Guggenheim in Bilbao) would not have suited the area at all, it's smack dab in the middle of downtown Toronto.. i find those tacky anyway. We already have a huge metal "look at me!" architectural insanity on the same street a few blocks away, the Royal Ontario Museum.

That thing was designed by Daniel Libeskin, who's done a number of identical fug buildings all over the world.

For this project, Gehry had to use the old, existing gallery and then harmonize the 3 extra additions that were tacked on since the 20's.

I think it's quite simple, beautiful and classy.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

^^^
    i totally agree.
    i think the guggenheim in bilbao works because of the location, but i think it's the only one of his titanium buildings that i really like. some of them are kind of pompous and tacky (ex: walt disney concert hall)

Elite Member

^^Gee grim, I kinda like the crystal. I live near it and it's become a real neighbourhood favorite.

wow...

The building itself is the best art.

Thread Information