Thread: A weekend in Prague

Default A weekend in Prague

The bad news about Prague is that your guidebook is probably already out of date, as the city changes so fast that some of its brightest and best attractions have only appeared only within the last couple of years. But the good news is that now you have even more reason to explore it. Below, the Dancing House, designed by Frank Gehry and Vlado Milunic.

In March, a new restaurant, Céleste, opened on the top floor of the Dancing House, with views of the river and Prague Castle. The French chef Gwendal Le Ruyet serves inventive creations like skate in a tangy, light green crab sauce, alongside braised fennel and saffron potatoes.

The spectacular view of the medieval Prague Castle from Céleste.

The soaring stained-glass windows of St. Vitus Cathedral have inspired generations of the faithful and other visitors. For an up-close glimpse of original windows and the master craftsmen who made them, visit Old Town's overlooked Umelecke Sklenarstvi Jiricka-Coufal.

It might not yet rival Venice, but several new museums, galleries and biennales have started to position Prague as a serious forum for modern art. One of the biggest is the Dox Center for Contemporary Art, which opened more than 30,000 square feet of exhibition space last fall.

The Erhartova Cukrarna is a 1937 vintage confectionery renovated with pitch-perfect period décor.

For a full night of rare brews, take the no. 11 tram out to Namesti bratri Synku, where you will find the pub Zly Casy.

The Prvni Pivni Tramway, or the "first beer tram," is a theme pub with three standard beers and one rotating microbrew.

The soaring spires of St. Vitus Cathedral.

A Weekend in Prague - The New York Times > Travel > Slide Show > Slide 12 of 12

prague's a gorgeous city. the only problem is that it's too popular. and since it's small, that leads to hordes of tourists everywhere. worse than venice at times.
    so while it's crowded year-round, at least avoid going during summer or any other major holiday.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

My bf was just there. I've never been and I'd love to go visit and probably will at some point since one of his sisters lives there.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

I like Tallinn, Estonia better than Prague. Beautiful town with a tenth of the Prague's tourist horde.

Prague is positively Disney-esque. The rest of the Czech Republic is really nice.

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

Anywhere around the Baltic is more or less guaranteed to be lovely, or at least interesting. It's that East/West thing, as well as what so much political upheaval has created.
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Honey View Post

oooh! I saw that! Its not as good as this photo tho! But still really interesting!

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    prague's a gorgeous city. the only problem is that it's too popular. and since it's small, that leads to hordes of tourists everywhere. worse than venice at times.
    so while it's crowded year-round, at least avoid going during summer or any other major holiday.
    It wasn't too bad when we went, only really the Hrad and the Jewish/old quarter.... (by the clock esp).
    Free Charmed.

Thread Information